Gransnet forums

Health

Osteoporosis, T scores and Alendronic Acid

(21 Posts)
petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 10:18:29

I know we've had a similar thread in the past. I have osteoporosis with a t score of -3.3 in the spine.

I have been taking Alendronic Acid for over a year. I'm thinking of insisting on coming off it.

I am wondering if anyone else with osteoporosis knows what their t score is. Also whether they take Alendronic Acid.

Agus Wed 28-Jan-15 10:48:19

petallus I am 2.700, osteoporosis just above the T score in my spine and 2.400, osteopenia just below in my right hip. I have been on alendronic acid for 6 months and have been told I would be taking this for 10 years.

I also take Acrete 2/24.

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 10:51:51

My hip score is -2.8. I am surprised you have been told you will be on AA for 10 years. I thought the maximum recommended time was no more than 4 or 5 years.

I've been googling and there's a lot out there questioning traditional medical approaches to osteoporosis.

Agus Wed 28-Jan-15 11:34:55

It is of course 5 yrs for AA. The 10 yrs is for a different health issue.

My immediate concern, although it is very rare, is the side effect of osteonecrosis which can present after 2 yrs but my dentist is aware of this and is doing regular checks.

I have had no adverse reactions to date so I am happy to continue with the course at this point.

Mishap Wed 28-Jan-15 11:41:17

I cannot remember my T-score, but I was on Protelos for years before it fell out of favour. Tried one dose of AA - not for me! Was offered some ghastly 6 monthly injection that b*****s up your immune system - no thanks.

I just take calcium and vit D now.

Surgeon when he did my hip said the bones looked good - so much so that he used a press-fit prosthesis rather than a cemented one.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

hildajenniJ Wed 28-Jan-15 12:13:18

I was under the impression that once your bones are no longer teenagers, they do not readily take up calcium, so no matter how much is in your diet it doesn't help your bones. Don't you have to trick your bones into thinking they are still young so that they absorb the calcium. I thought that the once weekly dose of alendronate sodium was to help your bones absorb the calcium tablets, or am I wrong?

Ana Wed 28-Jan-15 13:18:53

Alendronic acid belongs to a group of medicines known as bisphosphonates. These medicines slow down the rate at which old bone is lost. As your body continues to make new bone, this leads to an overall increase in bone density.

I have a yearly infusion of Zoledronic acid which acts in a similar way, because I can't take the tablets.

Anya Wed 28-Jan-15 14:20:27

It used to be thought that Hilda but more recently that view is now being discarded as Ana says, new bone can be formed. It's a case of encouraging new bone while slowing down the rate at which bone is lost

Calcium alone won't do that you need other vitamins and minerals to aid the absorption of the calcium and to ensure it goes to rebuilding bone and not to calcify arteries.

cangran Wed 28-Jan-15 16:01:03

I took Alendronic Acid (along with calcium/vit D) with no side effects for six years after a wrist fracture and being diagnosed with osteoporosis. I had a second bone density scan that indicated the bone density had improved and the diagnosis is now osteopenia. I had a chat with my doctor and we agreed that I stop the AA for two years (continuing with calcium/vit D) and then have another bone density scan. I hope, with lots of walking/Pilates, and a generally good diet, my bones won't lose density but will need to deal with it if they do. I belong to the National Osteoporosis Society and it's useful for keeping up to date with the latest research.

Anya - as the calcium is so chalky, I've always had this (irrational?) fear that my insides could be furring up like a kettle. My doctor just laughed when I mentioned this. Should those of us taking large doses of calcium (even with D too) have a blood test every once in awhile to check our arteries aren't calcifying?

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 16:43:03

For a whole year I took Alendronic Acid but not Ad Cal because I didn't like the consistency. Now I realise that could have affected the efficacy of the AA.

I am now getting pains in my finger joints which is a common side effect of AA. It could equally well be another symptom of Polymyalgia Rheumatica which I have had for the last four years but which has not affected my fingers before.

What a palaver (sigh)

Ana Wed 28-Jan-15 16:56:15

I don't see how your not taking the AdCal would have affected the efficacy of the alendronic acid, petallus. It's a vitamin supplement.

As Anya says, alendronic acid works by slowing down bone loss, thus allowing new bone growth to 'catch up' as it were.

Crafting Wed 28-Jan-15 19:50:50

I'm on AA and calcium and vit d too. I think the GP said I would be on AA for 5 years but on the calcium for the rest of my life.

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 20:56:12

When my PMR was diagnosed, the GP put me on Strontium Ranelate (Protelos) instead of AA because of a reflux problem that AA would exacerbate. The Strontium is a nuisance because you're not supposed to take this or that within 2 hours of the medication. AdCal must be taken at a different time of day etc, etc... I do have borderline osteoporosis in the left hip, so try very hard to look where I put my feet!

Anya Wed 28-Jan-15 21:42:44

Strontium ranelate should only be prescribed in cases of advanced osteoporosis according to the latest guidelines I have heard.

cangan if you are worried about calcification of the arteries read up first on the properties of Vit K2 (not K1) first.

trisher Wed 28-Jan-15 23:17:30

I took AA for several years after a diagnosis of Osteoporosis and am now on a drug holiday as I have improved and have osteopenia. I still take Calcium and Vit D. I walk a lot and do Tai-chi which is considered a good exercise because it involves weight bearing.
My mother who is 92 has advanced osteoporosis which was why I was tested originally. She had problems taking her medication and now has an implant every 6 months. She has several fractures in her spine and has lost 5 inches in height. I think taking AA has probably saved me from developing similar problems

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 23:44:32

Thanks, Anya. I will take that up with my GP when I see him.

cangran Thu 29-Jan-15 06:30:21

Thanks Anya - I'll check out vit K2.

Anya Thu 29-Jan-15 07:16:24

info for Anno

Anya Thu 29-Jan-15 07:24:21

some info for cangran

daynighthealthcare Tue 03-Feb-15 17:34:22

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Anne58 Tue 03-Feb-15 17:40:21

Oh ffs!