Gransnet forums

Health

Hysterectomy.

(27 Posts)
Friendsusan Thu 09-Jul-15 20:56:34

Hi,this is my first post! I am having the above op;next Thursday,never having been in hospital before am feeling scared!! Has anyone had this op;maybe could share some advice tips on what to take in,as very little information has been given.Thanks in advancesad

merlotgran Thu 09-Jul-15 21:18:38

I had a total hysterectomy twenty years ago because fibroids were making my life a misery. You will feel very very tired afterwards but because the problem has been dealt with you will soon feel well although it takes quite a while for your strength to return. You won't be able to do any lifting and even small tasks like washing your hair will leave you exhausted so make sure you have help with everyday tasks.

As soon as I could I began walking to get fit. After about six weeks you realise it's all behind you and you are feeling much better than before.

Don't be scared. It will be the beginning of your new life!!

Crafting Thu 09-Jul-15 21:36:53

My first op was a hysterectomy too about 8 years ago. Felt so much better since. Take it easy, plenty of rest and no lifting or stretching. Do the exercises and enjoy a relaxing summer. Best of luck hope all goes well.smile

Luckygirl Thu 09-Jul-15 21:43:00

I always say it was the best few hours sleep I ever had! Getting rid of all the troubles that had plagued me for years was a huge relief and great joy. As one of the other patients on the ward said: "I feel as if I have been tidied up now and can get on with my life."

You just need to take it a bit easy afterwards. A few years before this op I had had my gall bladder removed the old way - very big wound - and compared to that the hysterectomy was a doddle. There is no scar to speak of - it is lost in the forest!

I see that you live in Herefordshire - which hospital are you going in?

It is a routine op and you really do not need to worry.

kittylester Fri 10-Jul-15 06:46:46

I'd echo everything above especially Merlot's post. Lucky, my scar is a top to bottom so quite obvious.

Welcome friendsusan and let us know how you get on!

kittylester Fri 10-Jul-15 06:47:15

I'd echo everything above especially Merlot's post. Lucky, my scar is a top to bottom so quite obvious.

Welcome friendsusan and let us know how you get on!

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Jul-15 07:11:46

I too had a full hysterectomy about the same time as Merlot for the same reason (Went straight on to HRT) and can only echo the previous comments. You may be told strictly that you must not lift anything - even a kettle - don't worry about do anything wrong accidentally - I found I just physically couldn't do it. Weak as a baby! Just do what you can without forcing yourself.

Enjoy the break and your new life and welcome to Gransnet - you'll have plenty of time to get to know everybody over the next few weeks!

Mamie Fri 10-Jul-15 07:18:05

I too had a hysterectomy (bikini line scar) for fibroids, when I was 42. My ovaries were not removed so no hormone treatment. Recovered really quickly after the first few days and went back to full-time work after eight weeks. Had ten trouble-free years before the menopause hit (but that is a different thread). Never regretted it for a moment and was rnormously relieved to get rid of the very heavy bleeding caused by the fibroids.

Friendsusan Fri 10-Jul-15 18:06:56

Lucky girl,Telford hospital am on the borders of Shropshire/Herefordshire, choose Telford for the consultant one of the best,hope the hospital is ok!!!

Thanks everyone for sharing and advice,look forward to catching up with you later this month.

merlotgran Fri 10-Jul-15 18:17:54

Best of Luck, Friendsusan

A friend of mine pinned a 'Bon Voyage' card above her bed. Inside was a photo of her two children with the message.....Thank you for having them! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 18:20:34

I don't get that.

mcem Fri 10-Jul-15 18:39:50

Rest, rest, rest! No bed-making, no hoovering, no loading/unloading washing machine for several weeks.
Within a week of my op I felt fine so it was difficult to stick to this regime.
A friend who refused to be a wimp simply got on with things. Big mistake and she paid the price for overdoing it!
I have no scar, kept ovaries so minimal menopause symptoms, no regrets whatsoever!
Good luck and don't worry BUT do as you're told!
Let us know how it goes ( while you're lazing around recuperating!)

merlotgran Fri 10-Jul-15 18:40:47

Ta ta, dear uterus.

Luckygirl Fri 10-Jul-15 18:53:13

I kissed mine goodbye with a happy wave - it had done its job and was nowt but a nuisance thereafter.

Good luck FriendSusan - you will not regret it.

HildaW Fri 10-Jul-15 19:03:55

Goodluck Friendsusan. Its not an Op I've had but I am nursing a prolapse that is managed by a ring pessary. At the moment all is well but Dr has raised the subject of something more permanent i.e. hysterectomy, if it gets worse.

The reason I am answering your post is that we are probably near neighbours (close to Ludlow). Let us know how you get on.....we could always meet up for a coffee at some point.

P.S. All I do know is that all the advise you get given to avoid all physical activity especially lifting is very important and must be adhered to. Good luck and I am sure you will soon be feeling a lot better.

mcem Fri 10-Jul-15 19:12:22

hilda that's why mine was done. No huge trauma before and no problems after. It gave me a whole term out of teaching and I went back to work fit and healthy.
Ps - no scar at all as the op was done vaginally. Definitely the easier option if it's possible.

Nanabelle Fri 10-Jul-15 22:13:28

hi Friendsusan - I had a successful hysterectomy seven years ago for a uterine prolapse, plus repairs to cystocele and rectocele, so quite a big op and the best things I did were:
1. Get a cleaner for about 10 weeks, even if it is just to vacuum through the house. Then you are never tempted to do too much!
2. Go on website www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk where you will find so much information and also forums from people going through the same thing. The forums also have monthly groups, so all those having the op in July, have their own monthly clubs. I found this so helpful and it was good to read and share how we were all coping; lots of good tips too.

My consultant did tell me never to do heavy lifting again - but that's a hard thing to follow in the season of buying large sacks of compost, and moving garden tubs about. But, she is right - our insides are not so elastic as when we were young, and we should respect our bodies and look after them well. I try to pack smaller bags at supermarket now so I don't have too heavy a load.
Shame my lovely granddaughter is getting heavier and heavier!!!
Good luck and enjoy lots of reading, computer time, Radio 4 Extra, knitting or whatever sitting down hobby you may have!

Nanabelle Fri 10-Jul-15 22:15:17

ps hope it's ok to post the website address, but it was really so helpful and I feel more women should know about it. GPs and hospital doctors give out so little of the sort of information we would like to hear.

HildaW Sat 11-Jul-15 12:44:19

Nanabelle, you are so right about that!

I did not realise I 'just' had a prolapse for ages...was thinking allsorts was wrong with me. I think its because its not such a trendy condition ...all a bit hushed up and embarrassing...but education is really needed. My GP told me that my first big baby delivered after a nasty long induction was probably what set it all in motion.
We need to open up the subject and let Mums of all ages know what to look for and what to do to help themselves. I've since learned that much younger Mums have had huge problems and they find it very difficult to get to grips with it all.

Reecelauren12 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:29:00

Hi all, I’ve just joined this site today after reading your inspiring messages.

My story is..
I had a total hysterectomy when I was aged 31. I am 51 now. I’ve been on h.r.t tibolone 2.5mg for the duration.
I have felt absolutely wonderful as I had endermetrist and heavy bleeding every month. I had two young children so I decided that I didn’t want any more.
However lately I’ve been getting excruciating aches and pains in my shoulder I haven’t had a accident or anything. I’m wondering if it may be osteoporosis as I’ve read that I’m more predisposed.

BlueSapphire Sun 14-Jul-19 20:39:07

I had a total hysterectomy about 20 years ago due to a massive fibroid which was causing heavy bleeding. Surgeon recommended removing ovaries as well to remove the chance of ovarian cancer. Went straight on to HRT. Felt very weak on my return home and just had to take it easy for a few weeks. The thing I didn't realise is that you're supposed to shave off pubic hair before the operation; I hadn't done this and a nurse handed me a razor and sent me to the bathroom! When I had an elective Caesarian I can remember the nurse doing it for me - couldn't see over my massive 9 month bump to do it myself!

HereIgo Fri 19-Jul-19 17:28:01

Hi. First time posting.
Went in to have endometrial ablation for too long periods but they couldn’t do it.
As i also have pains most of each month due to fibroids, cysts and collapsing follicles then the next step thats been suggested is a hysterectomy. Which I’m for but worry the side effects as I’m only 45. I also don’t know much about hrt etc. I have never got on with hormones in the pill as the caused me to get very depressed, would hrt? Might sound daft.

Doodle Fri 19-Jul-19 19:58:21

Hi here1go. I am almost the opposite of you. I had mine done at 56 due to fibroids and constant bleeding. By then I would have done anything to stop the constant pain and bleeding. I felt much better after the op. I had HRT for about 5 years and then some other tablets to help with hot flushes. Hope someone else will come along with more relevant experience. Good luck.

watermeadow Fri 19-Jul-19 20:30:14

My 44 year old daughter had a keyhole hysterectomy a few months ago. She had virtually no pain afterwards, felt normal within a few days and enjoyed the weeks off work.
What used to be a major operation was brilliantly simple and her life transformed. She has one ovary left so no need for HRT.

Marydoll Fri 19-Jul-19 20:38:06

Best decision I ever made. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and a bladder repair, kept my ovaries.
Good luck with your op, Friendsusan, but you MUST do as you are told!