It's both more complicated and yet simpler GG
When I worked for Liverpool I was part of the Obesity Forum who was attempting to look at the issue of obesity (obviously!
) so I do understand the causes and effects of this problem.
The simplistic view is that if people would only eat less, eat better, move more, stop smoking and cut back on their drinking then they would be much healthier. And that is true, so simples!!
No, it's not that easy. One example we found in communities is the problem with local shops. Unless you were prepared to drive to the nearest supermarket (and many don't own cars) then your local shop was the best option. But these were not offering anything like a good range of fresh fruit vegetables, meat or fish. My own experience bears this out as whenever I was out of the office at lunch time, if I found myself in, for example, Litherland and stopped at the local group of shops, it was well nigh impossible to find anything approaching a healthy choice. Plenty of choice of junk food, cigarette, chocolates and alcohol though.
And that is just one example of how hard it can be.
Sadly I left and moved south so don't know the final findings of the Forum, though I suspect it fed into the Healthy Liverpool initiative as I recognised at least one face on the programme.
lovely to see Anthony Gormley's bronzes again on Crosby beach 