Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract Operation

(18 Posts)
Gaggi3 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:43:52

I apologise if, as I suspect, there has already been a discussion on this subject, but I lost heart part way through 38 pages of posts on health. I'm due to have a cataract operation next Tuesday and am really quite nervous. I have had several major operations but was always unconscious for those, so I think it's being awake that's making me so cowardly. Anyone anything to offer that might help?

Luckylegs9 Fri 18-Mar-16 14:56:19

Well I haven't had the operation myself, but know do many people who have. Without exception everyone of them said it was painless and they felt at ease. Try to do what they tell you after the operation and look forward to all the benefits you will have. If I have to undergo a procedure I really don't want, I tell myself that this time tomorrow if will be a memory and thank God I live in a country that enables me to have the procedure done. Good luck.

Jayh Fri 18-Mar-16 15:27:08

I have had this op on both eyes, one at a time. You are awake but please be reassured that it is entirely painless and also very quick. A very bright light will be shone in your eye and when the lens is removed your sight will be blurry. Lie back and think of the benefit of improved eyesight which is immediate.
My eyesight was so improved that I no longer need to wear glasses even for reading. Since I have worn thick lenses since the age of four, this was an unexpected bonus.
Good luck, Gaggi. Let us know how you get on.
?

grumppa Fri 18-Mar-16 15:29:16

I've had it done on both eyes (not together of course) and it was a painless experience, with the slaves' chorus from Aida as background music. When it was the same music the second time I was offered something different, but I said it was the important that the surgeon had what suited him!

Well worth having them done.

tanith Fri 18-Mar-16 16:10:13

I don't want to hijack this thread and its interesting to read others experiences , just want a bit of guidance as to how far my sight will deteriorate before they agree to operate? At the moment I get the odd time when it feels like my glasses need cleaning that's the only change I've noticed so far.

Gaggi3 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:16:35

Thanks so much everyone, I knew I could rely on GN for advice and support. Do feel lucky in many ways as appointment has come through quickly ( though just had a call postponing it from Tues. next to !st April (!). That's where my sight in my right eye is at the moment, tanith, a mild blurriness, about 2+ years since optician first mentioned the cataract, so it might be worth an eye test.

grandma60 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:17:36

I had one eye done on Monday and yes it was absolutely painless. Just a bit of pulling and tugging but not nearly as bad as the dentist! Although you are awake you are quite heavily sedated and the half hour spent in theatre felt like 5minutes.
The difference is amazing already. Can't wait to get the other eye done.
Grumpa We had Neil Diamond playing in theatre. They said it could be changed if I wanted but like you I preferred to let them have what they wanted!

grandma60 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:25:07

Tanith I'm 63 so quite young for a cataract op but I have glaucoma which is why they were happy do it now. I understand they normally wait until you are 65 unless it is really bad. They used to say a cataract had to be ripe. (or nearly covering the eye) but this is no longer the case. I didn't realize how bad mine was but now it is gone I can't believe the difference.

tanith Fri 18-Mar-16 16:25:36

Thanks Gaggi3 that's useful to know do come back and tell us how it went..

tanith Fri 18-Mar-16 16:27:18

granma60 I was reading about it this morning and realised I didn't have to wait for it to 'ripen', it was diagnosed about 18mths ago so I think I will book another eye test soon .

Auntieflo Fri 18-Mar-16 17:18:12

Hello Gaggi. I have had both eyes operated on for cataracts. It was wonderful. Yes, you are ' awake' but have plenty of an injected anaesthaesia. You are aware of what's going on, but nothing uncomfortable or painful. The staff put you at your ease, and before you know it, it is all over. The thing I really noticed the next morning, after taking off the protective shield, was the roof opposite our house. Wow, I could see the individual tiles, instead of just a block of colour. And the colours are so brilliant now. Thanks NHS.

mrshat Fri 18-Mar-16 18:12:55

Thanks for raising this Gaggi3. I am due to have my first cataract removed in April and I am delighted with all the positive comments on here. Certainly makes me feel more relaxed about the whole thing. Thank you all who posted. I need both eyes done, so expect to go through the whole procedure again about 4-6 weeks later. Good luck Gaggi3. Let us know how you get on.

Charleygirl Fri 18-Mar-16 18:29:03

An aunt of mine, now deceased had the operation when she was in her early 90's and had no problems.

tanith if you feel that your cataract could be affecting your driving, an eye test soon would be a good idea. Also if you have any other surgery in the pipeline, it is not a bad idea to get your sight sorted first.

tanith Fri 18-Mar-16 19:10:09

Charleygirl thanks for the tip.

tiffaney Fri 18-Mar-16 20:50:43

My neighbour has had cataracts removed from both eyes in the last few months. We drove him to the hospital for the second one and he had no problem with either op. In fact he said after the second op, because he could see perfectly through the first eye he'd had done, he could have driven home himself. For safety's sake he obviously didn't. Anyone going to have something like this done is bound to be nervous but just take comfort from the comments and think past the day when you will be able to see better. Hope this helps.

GrannieBee Sat 14-Apr-18 10:36:11

My right eye lens replacement ( 2weeks ago) was for improvement of distance sight. My surgeon told me the left eye will have a lens for close vision. During my check-up his assistant suggested it is preferable to have both lenses for distance and wear glasses for reading. What experience and advice can I glean from you all?

M0nica Sat 14-Apr-18 13:36:59

Tanith it is difficult to describe what having a cataract is like because it can vary so much. My first cataract clouded out in 2 concentric circles with a clear area in between. I could see clearly but began to have difficulty with road signs and items towards the edge of my vision. My surgeon said I was seeing the beginning and ends of words with the middle clouded out and my brain interpolated what it thought was the missing bit. So in a deeply rural area, I thought I read a sign saying 'Town centre'. When in full vision it said Towcester.

My second eye, I just found everything getting blurry, like short sight but while still wearing my glasses. Other people find colours getting dull and notice the difference as soon as they have the operation.

Franbern Sat 28-Apr-18 12:11:35

I agreed to having cataracts in both eyes operated on (NHS) when the optician told me at a routine eye test that I was on the edge of not being permitted to drive.
Never wore any glasses until about ten years ago, when I did start to wear them for driving (improving long distance).
Operations (three months apart), were painless and easy, but left me with excellent driving long distance vision, but requiring glasses for reading for the first time in my life.
On advice I obtained a pair of varyfocals - although very shocked at the cost of these. Do no use these in the car. A year after obtaining these, I had a further eye test and there was quite a lot of change (deterioration), so the lenses www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1246681-Prescription-charges?pg=3in the varyfocals needed changing = at a cost of nearly £600!!! Did have them done this time, but do not think I will be able to continue if there is any need in future years. Am now wishing I had opted for a pair of glasses for driving and a second pair (or two) just for reading.