Gransnet forums

Health

Heart stopping moments before sleep.

(57 Posts)
naughtynanny Tue 19-Apr-16 12:14:59

Does anyone else experience this, it is terrifying, any advice?
I go to bed quite relaxed and read for about 30 minutes. But as I drift off to sleep, all of a sudden I get a really scary feeling that my heart is stopping and I'm dying! It jolts me wide awake and I have to sit up and gasp for breath. This happens 3 or 4 times every night. It makes no difference what side I lay on, or what food I've eaten. Help!

Ddd10 Sat 15-May-21 06:10:22

Hansw93 I read your post and cannot believe how identical your experience is to mine. It is so hard to describe this feeling and have never read about others feeling this. I felt like I wrote it. Have you ever seen a doctor about it? Has anyone explained what it could be? Mine started about 2 months ago...same exact thing. I am going to a cardiologist in a couple weeks. I have had a zio heart monitor and my extra beats seem to be normal but this just feels different. It happens right at the moment I am about to drift off to sleep. A rush comes over me and jolts me awake. Feels like my heart stopped for a second. Vision is a little odd for a split second. Scary.

Shelflife Sat 15-May-21 08:20:43

I too have that jolt and feeling of falling as I drift into sleep. I would suggest that if you are waking breathless in the night you book an at with your doctor. Play safe and good luck .

Revynn Thu 27-May-21 10:32:07

Have you heard anything yet? Or what about you Hans?? I just developed this in the past week or two and it’s not happening almost every night multiple times. I may not belong on this site (I’m 32) but yours and Hans are the best descriptions I’ve seen. Terrifying and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Revynn Thu 27-May-21 10:34:09

Ddd10

Hansw93 I read your post and cannot believe how identical your experience is to mine. It is so hard to describe this feeling and have never read about others feeling this. I felt like I wrote it. Have you ever seen a doctor about it? Has anyone explained what it could be? Mine started about 2 months ago...same exact thing. I am going to a cardiologist in a couple weeks. I have had a zio heart monitor and my extra beats seem to be normal but this just feels different. It happens right at the moment I am about to drift off to sleep. A rush comes over me and jolts me awake. Feels like my heart stopped for a second. Vision is a little odd for a split second. Scary.

Ddd10 Have you heard anything yet? Or what about you Hans?? I just developed this in the past week or two and it’s not happening almost every night multiple times. I may not belong on this site (I’m 32) but yours and Hans are the best descriptions I’ve seen. Terrifying and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Mattsmum2 Thu 27-May-21 20:53:56

I was told by my daughter when she was training to be a nurse that the body does jolt and it’s almost our bodies checking we’re still ok, like a natural defibrillator. Scary but like a nudge. Would say if you’re worried see your gp. Best of luck xx

ALKALK Fri 01-Apr-22 14:17:26

As I’m dozing off I get this sudden fright as if my heart has stopped and it’s my last breathe and I’m about to die! It happens in a second and get such a fright. It’s been going on now for a year so I know I’m not during but the feeling is exactly as if you are about to die or when someone jumps out from behind a door and scares you. That fright you get!
It’s so strange and confusing. It’s a sudden fright.
I have no idea what it is or how it started but I’m glad I’m not the only one it happens to!
It never happens through the day, only when I get into bed to go to sleep.
After one or two of these “frights”’ ( not muscle twitches) I do end up falling asleep eventually and wake up normally without any pain or issues.
I have noticed also recently that the soles of my feet get a tingle or itchy pins and needles as well. They go away as well.