Gransnet forums

Health

Vaginal atrophy!! Please read if you have never heard of it.

(72 Posts)
Crafting Wed 17-Aug-16 22:12:30

There have been so many threads from women suffering with problems "down below", pain, discomfort, knicker problems, painful intercourse, dryness etc. who have never heard of Vaginal atrophy.

Until my GP mentioned it, it was something I had never heard of. I put up with months of discomfort and irritation and UTI symptoms before getting treatment. I now use a vaginal moisturiser daily and have not been troubled with UTIs or irritation for years.
As we get older, internal tissues dry up and just like our external skin needs some moisturising. I personally use Replens but I know there are many other similar products which can be bought over the counter. Your GP may also prescribe some hormone cream if needed.

Just hope this information might save someone going through all the problems I had just because I had never heard of vaginal atrophy and had no idea so many women suffered from it.

Retrolady Sat 20-Aug-16 10:13:54

Thank you so much for flagging this up. I thought it was 'just me'. Should've known it hardly ever is ... I think a visit to the chemist is on the agenda.

Lupatria Sat 20-Aug-16 10:45:36

i've been on hrt for several years after a total hysterectomy owing to ovarian cancer. thankfully i haven't suffered from va but i can imagine how uncomfortable it is.
i'm also on long-term antibiotics for a chronic but not infectious skin condition so hopefully any infections i might get are dealt with.

kittylester Sat 20-Aug-16 11:54:53

The chemist is not the answer if you truly have VA!

spabbygirl Sat 20-Aug-16 12:44:09

thanks for that, I haven't heard of that yet, but I probably will need it in the future so will bear it in mind. Good to hear its helped so many people.

Mumsy Sat 20-Aug-16 13:02:01

Ive been a sufferer for years, I was originally prescribed hormone cream which I had used for years then I started bleeding and was sent to gynea where they found that the hormone cream had fed the lining of my womb and it had got so thick I had to have an operation to have it all scraped away, I was also told I may have cancer because of the hormone cream was feeding the lining of my womb. The doctor wont prescribe me hormone cream because of the high cancer risk but I do use Replens every other day which does help a great deal.

Lynker Sat 20-Aug-16 14:35:54

I have recently been diagnosed with VA. I had had a cystoscopy, US scan and CT scan following a severe UTI earlier this year. All these investigations were normal and I was discharged by the urologist. I then went on to have 2 small bleeds (following long walks). I was then referred to a gynaecologist, who examined me and diagnosed VA. I am now on an oestrogen cream, which they have assured me is only absorbed locally and does not increase any risk of cancer. I had my ovaries removed years ago when I had a hysterectomy.

nathansgran47 Sat 20-Aug-16 14:54:44

Really interest to read all the posts. I was diagnosed with VA 6 years ago. My lovely GP ( now retired) prescribed orthoginest cream. It did the trick . He also gave me tablets to take every four months which produce a light "period" . Must really go back to my surgery and have a review.! Incidentally I did try replens but it was no help at all.

Daisyboots Sat 20-Aug-16 17:27:10

I was diagnosed with VA last year when I was referred to a gynaecologist for urge incontinence. I had never heard of it before then. I was prescribed a gormone cream to be ibserted twice a week. She said it would not affect anywhere because I was concerned having had breast cancer. Obviously it hasnt anything to do with the urge incontinence.

Bebe47 Sat 20-Aug-16 17:32:06

Yes I take Vagifem pessaries periodically when the discomfort gets too bad as I dont want to take too many. It was prescribed by a consultant the GP referred me to. It's the smell and discharge with the V A that is so awful.

Evenstar Sat 20-Aug-16 18:30:44

Have been using vagifem every other night for a couple of years and it works a treat. My GP says it's such a small dose there's virtually no risk taking it and she's happy for me to use it for as long as I like.
I'm not on any other form of HRT.

Cathy04 Sat 20-Aug-16 18:43:45

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago after soreness and bleeding. I was prescribed cream with an applicator which was Oestrogen if I remember. I had read about Replens and asked if it was available on prescription which it was, Since then I have used it every other day. However although it copes with the dryness I have started to get quite sore and split very easily ( sorry to be graphic) so I may ask if I could try a course of the cream again.

I hadn't heard of VA until I was diagnosed. To be told it wasn't uncommon was a releaf as I had begun to think it was just me.

Hollycat Sat 20-Aug-16 19:05:40

Personally I think Replens is quite revolting. I hate the residue it leaves which apparently is dead skin. I don't know what it actually is but I don't like it. I just use Vaseline and find it works really well.

icanhandthemback Sat 20-Aug-16 20:06:33

I suffered awfully with the oestrogen cream as I am sensitive to creams and the GP said, "Well that's that then." I used Replens which was great but I didn't much like the way the dead cells come away. Talking to a lady one day in a shop, (my children despair as to the types of conversations I find myself having with shop assistants) I found out about Vagifem. What brilliant stuff! The other thing she suggested for the outer regions was Coconut Oil if you suffer from dryness there. I haven't got round to trying that yet.

marmar01 Sat 20-Aug-16 21:15:31

i found out changing loo paper to one with shea butter in it, and moisturize with coconut oil, such a help.

seadragon Sat 20-Aug-16 22:03:37

At a slight tangent, in relation to 'the outer regions', I have abandoned tights completely in favour of loose leggings worn under trousers in winter as well as dresses and my outer regions are now free of a very long term excruciating itch.

JessM Sat 20-Aug-16 22:14:02

Nice stuff coconut oil. Solid at room temperature and melts on contact with skin. And edible as well.

Tegan Sat 20-Aug-16 23:01:12

I'm a bit worried that I use Replens but never seem to have any dead cells popping out; not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Iam64 Sun 21-Aug-16 08:05:29

Tegan - neither do I (dead cells that is) Let's say its a good thing.

Mumsy Sun 21-Aug-16 08:36:42

It depends how thick the dead cells are and how long you have been using the Replens, it does take a while for the dead skin to soften up and fall away its always best to wear a pad. My VA was so bad at one point I was unable to sit down or wear pants!

I am surprised that its been mentioned a few times that doctors have said that oestrogen cream is safe as its only in small amounts, my gynea consultant told me that with long term use there is a risk of cancer! As my mum and sister both got cancer I am classed as high risk so my gynea consultant said its not safe for me to use.

gettingold Sun 21-Aug-16 08:37:11

My VA was/is so bad I use vagifem 5 xs a week and systemic HRT also . I have not had one hot flush my menopause is also urogenital atrophy.

I am under one of the very top experts for hormones , and he says VA can cause real problems for everything down there and the only treatment is oestrogen.

Some of you have some real dinosaurs of GPs who are telling you absolute rubbish re local oestrogen. I suggest you arm yourselves with the latest NICE guidelines and read up and educate yourselves and GPs. I think a lot of it is money to be honest.

I would look at the long term effects of many drugs that are handed out like sweets, drinking alcohol , smoking , over weight , lack of exercise etc put you at greater risk of BC.

The more you age , do not underestimate how bad VA can get . VA can not be cured only managed. I have educated my three daughters on VA and they will use oestrogen when / if the need arises.

Re the lady with the thickened womb from a tiny dose of local HRT , I would imagine that was not caused by the local HRT but by the fact that it can and dose just happen, I would have stayed on the local HRT and had a yearly scan and if necessary the odd course of progesterone to shed any build up.

Greyduster Sun 21-Aug-16 08:52:44

When my GP prescribed Vagifem I asked her about the cancer risks. She said they were minimal because the hormone was absorbed locally and wasn't being absorbed into the bloodstream like HRT taken by mouth. I was concerned because both my mother and my sister died of female cancers. I only had a short course to see if it helped with my prolapse - not sure it did actually. I'm off to see her again on Friday.

Mumsy Sun 21-Aug-16 09:05:43

Yes it is minimal the amount absorbed into the blood stream short term use but Im talking about long term use 10 years plus! If you research oestrogen it does say its for short term use 3-6 months.

I may have a dinosaur gp but I have an excellent gynea consultant!

It wasnt a 'tiny' dose of oestragen it was years of daily use that caused the thickening of the lining of my womb as the oestragen was actually feeding it making it thicker.

All I can say is do your research and make up your own mind.

Neversaydie Sun 21-Aug-16 09:41:45

Had Vagifem aged about 45 when peri menopausal Was having to urinate so often it was becoming a real problem-not cystitis or incontinence as such.Just a very sensitive bladder Took it for about 3months and it worked
Have had one or two similar problems lately-am nearly 66-and wondering if I should see GP Thanks for the reminder

Yogadatti Sun 21-Aug-16 10:16:57

I have been using replens for years because there hasn't been anything else on the market that is as good accept hormonal cream although I see now due to this thread that boots have produced something I can try. The main point of my comment is that my GP will not prescribe replens on the NHS...and as usual it seems this is discretionary by the practice because others on here have got it on prescription. It disgusts me that these days practices are only interested in the cost of the product , not whether it does any good for the patient!

Crafting Sun 21-Aug-16 10:22:13

Lots of good advice. Obviously different things work for different people. My GP diagnosed me with VA which was driving me mad at the time. I was contemplating giving up work because I could not cope with driving there or sitting down all day. Fortunately for me the oestrogen cream and Replens daily seem to work at the moment (the dead cells white discharge with Replens stopped for me after I had used it for a couple of weeks). If mine gets worse I will be back to the GP.

The wonderful thing about GN is that we get to discuss these sort of personal topics that perhaps you wouldn't be able to bring up with friends ( not polite topics for coffee mornings grin)