Gransnet forums

Health

Vaginal atrophy!! Please read if you have never heard of it.

(72 Posts)
Crafting Wed 17-Aug-16 22:12:30

There have been so many threads from women suffering with problems "down below", pain, discomfort, knicker problems, painful intercourse, dryness etc. who have never heard of Vaginal atrophy.

Until my GP mentioned it, it was something I had never heard of. I put up with months of discomfort and irritation and UTI symptoms before getting treatment. I now use a vaginal moisturiser daily and have not been troubled with UTIs or irritation for years.
As we get older, internal tissues dry up and just like our external skin needs some moisturising. I personally use Replens but I know there are many other similar products which can be bought over the counter. Your GP may also prescribe some hormone cream if needed.

Just hope this information might save someone going through all the problems I had just because I had never heard of vaginal atrophy and had no idea so many women suffered from it.

Mumsy Sun 21-Aug-16 10:26:01

Yogadatti, I was prescribed replens and then I got a letter from my doctor to say its no longer available on prescription and was give Yes and Sylk to try, both were far too runny and very messy to use and neither worked. I asked at my local pharmacy why Replens is no longer available on prescription and was told that it still is and that its the surgerys making cutbacks that wont prescribe it. I had to go back to my doctors to tell him the other stuff isnt working as no sooner you insert it just runs out where as the Replens actually coats the vaginal walls. So he has now agreed to prescribe it for me as its the only thing that helps.

clementine Sun 21-Aug-16 17:44:52

I was told same thing as Mumsy, Replens no longer available on prescription. She gave me Sylk. I hadn't ever used any other lubricant so had nothing to compare it with. I do find the Sylk a bit messy to use , might go back and ask for Replens.

clementine Sun 21-Aug-16 17:46:00

sorry hit post too soon, or I will just buy some, I took to mean from my GP that it had been taken off the market, so its interesting its still available.

Tegan Sun 21-Aug-16 19:30:56

After I was [eventually] diagnosed with atrophy I asked my doctor for a prescription for 'Yes' I'd been buying Replens myself but wanted to use something that was paraben free, especially if I was going to have to use it for the rest of my life! I just found it very watery and wonder if I should have asked for the oil based one in tubes [I'd been using the Replens applicator to get it to the right place]. After two uti's in the space of a month I've asked for the Yes to be replaced with Replens for a couple of months after which I may switch to Vagifem for a while. As I want to use it a lot in an attempt to ward off the uti's I've bought the Boots equivalent today as we get a discount on Boots items. I'll find out tomorrow if the Replens prescription has been ok'd. I spend a fortune on stuff trying to keep myself healthy so I don't feel any guilt about asking for something on prescription. It's the constant need in wee that is my biggest problem. After the PMB plus a horrid discharge for ages, I had lots of tests done at the hospital; scared me witless and must have cost the NHS a lot of money.I've also bought some of the Vagisil wash, which says it has pro biotics in it [at least, I think that's what it says..I haven't looked at it properly yet]. I think that Optibac also do a probiotic that targets the vagina area. And I'm having a teaspoon of dMannose in water last thing at night.My doctor has also given me some Cetraben to use in that area, as it's quite a gentle moisturiser.Getting ready for bed is taking longer and longer the older I get sad.

Tegan Sun 21-Aug-16 19:32:09

...'to' wee.....

Mumsy Mon 22-Aug-16 07:32:53

Tegan I use aqueos cream as a moisturiser down there a large tub lasts for months.

Replens is £11-49 in boots and you can get it cheaper on line

www.weldricks.co.uk

sell it for £6-59

or Amazon 3 packs for £17-99

K8tie Wed 24-Aug-16 12:27:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tegan Wed 24-Aug-16 12:37:31

Dr has put Replens on repeat for me, so my practice has obviously not banned it [yet!]#oneoftheluckyones

Mumsy Thu 25-Aug-16 08:11:24

Tegan, pleased to hear you got it on prescription, just a little tip use it every day for 2 weeks then every other day for 2 weeks then on to every 3rd day.

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Oct-16 12:12:23

Bumped for Genevieve489 see original thread.

Nelliemoser Sun 30-Oct-16 12:14:24

Bumped for Genevieve489

Ekgirl Tue 25-May-21 16:57:36

Hi
Wondered if anyone here can help me. I started using estriol cream at end of last year, my GP suggested I come off it as things improving which I did. Anyway things got worse again so I restarted cream but discomfort + bladder pressure so sore a different GP has prescribed Vagifem (or I can alternate with cream) for 4 weeks then twice weekly. Can anyone advise what they think is the best. My discomfort seems to be bladder as I always want to pee but also pressure too, (that may be vaginal dryness) I have read loads of stuff online but not sure what is the best to do. I have also got Yes moisturiser for external area. I had used the cream for about 6 days then GP gave me Vagifem so I have used that for 6 days too so have 16 days left before I go on to twice weekly. I know I have only been using it a short time again but I want results as quickly as poss as I have a holiday next week. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

lea133 Tue 25-May-21 18:51:48

I agree with ClaraB. I have tried every product otc for
VA until I researched internet and came across the
Product YES. It was a lifesaver for me. Instant relief !
NO burning upon application it really did the trick. Using
it over 4 years and never felt better. They have a great
product line to address all concerns.

Ekgirl Wed 26-May-21 08:17:34

Oh no, I just got YES but not agreeing with me unfortunately.
Anyone got any opinions on Vagifem being better/worse than estrogen cream ?
If so would be good to know, thanks

Bashful Fri 04-Jun-21 21:17:39

I am the same as ClaraB. I didn’t like the ingredients in Replens when my Dr prescribed it so I found the “Yes” company. It does organic lubricants which are much kinder to you and they are fantastic I must say.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 05-Jun-21 09:28:21

I have been having Greek Yoghurt and Kafir on top of oats and soya milk as an aid to preventing bladder infections. So far after three years it has worked.

Puzzled Sun 06-Jun-21 07:55:05

Not sure if this will be any help.
After coming off HRT, soreness became an issue.

S i L, when asked if there was an applicator for KY said "Every man has one" Lubricating both of us cured the problem, until formula, for KY changed, and it irritated. Boots was the same. Lloyds Pharmacy Personal Lubricant was fine, but they stopped selling it.
Now, we use Optilube from G S Supplies.
Seems to be the product used by the medical profession.
Good news, Works well, and much cheaper than KY etc. for 82 grm tube.
Bad news. Shipping cost is £6.50 an order. So we order 5 or 6 tubes at a time, which effectively doubles the cost. But still good value and effective.
HTH

Tt86 Thu 07-Oct-21 07:32:04

So my doc says cream and use a a device to make spread but that’s not working I have another problem and I believe that’s part of it I’m embarrassed by it but I was told when happens goin potty just ensure push but always end with lot fresh blood in vagina on toilet I believe it’s rectum a trader and caused by haveing children and it is ruining my life can’t seem get answers from Gyno cause no longer have uterus so I’m to live with I don’t date at 53 and no one listens to problem I have read there is a prosecute to fix how do I get some doc to listen

Thistlelass Fri 05-Nov-21 08:03:20

I can see this is an old thread. I think it is important to think about our granddaughteds and how they will experience menopause. I thought I had sailed through it too. I had lived alone for twenty plus years and sexual activity was minimal. I wish I had been aware of vaginally atrophy much sooner. Nobody made me aware my 'bits' would drastically shrink! Do women realise their clitoris can become non existent? Well to be fair mine appears to be faulty anyway. Then the burning pain and bleeding upon intercourse. Particularly awkward if in a new relationship. I am on vagifem but I have read that progesterone should be supplied to prevent womb cancer.

25Avalon Fri 05-Nov-21 09:01:11

They don’t tell you that the dryness can result in your vagina making a clear liquid to protect itself. If this is excessive a dr should check it out but it can just be a normal reaction. Using yes helps in my case.

Calmlocket Fri 05-Nov-21 09:47:56

I have suffered with this for years! In the beginning I was prescribed a vaginal estrogen cream, I cant remember the actual name. After some months there was no real improvement. It was that bad I couldnt wear knickers or even sit down! my doctor contacted the hospital for an appointment to see a gynea consultant. I first had to go to have an intenal scan then on to the consultant. He told me that the estrogen cream had actually been feeding the lining of my womb and it was very thick, he took a small scraping from inside my womb to send for testing as he said theres a possibility its cancerous!! He also said I needed an operation to clean my womb out. The tests came back clear and I had the operation. I was told not to use the cream any more as it can cause cancer.
I was then prescribed replens which does help ease the symptoms.

Some months ago the surgery rang me to say Replens is no longer available on prescription so it was replaced with Yes then Sylk. Neither were any good as they were both too runny and didnt stick to the walls of my vagina. I explained this to my doctor and he has agreed to put Replens back on my repeat prescription.