Gransnet forums

Health

My New Healthy Lifestyle

(209 Posts)
rubylady Fri 27-Jan-17 03:44:55

Welcome to a new you. This thread is for anyone to post regular updates on their improved health and lifestyle, be it food related, excercise or doing something for yourself which helps your mental health. I started out last September at 16 stones 10 pounds, now I weigh 15 stones 2 pounds. For the first time in years I am going to the hairdressers later. Get ready for No Snack February, there's a few days to eat those biscuits ? or chocolate bar ?. Good luck and I hope I'm not on my own doing this! ?Xxx

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Jan-17 17:05:47

Well done Kacee. 6 lb is a great start. Are you able to increase your exercise with walking or swimming ? Keep us posted. Remember you CAN do it!

Badenkate Sat 28-Jan-17 17:19:39

That's great Kaycee. I know how difficult it is to tell people how much weight you have to loose - and I'll confess I've never told DH how much I weigh!But it is good to let people on here know and get their friendly support. We'll go on the long journey together. Slow and steady maybe, but we'll do it!

Skweek1 Sat 28-Jan-17 17:35:12

I'm Type 1 Diabetic and have been told that whatever you fancy eating is fine - all I need to do is adjust my insulin accordingly - the one no no is my breakfast glass of fruit juice, which, since I squeeze my own with a muchine which keeps the fibre content, I sometimes ignore! Ikeep planning to do a long-distance rambling break, hopefully this summer.

Kacee Sat 28-Jan-17 17:37:12

Thanks mumofmadboys. Walking can be hit and miss as I have COPD losing weight will help that and as for swimming.....even I wouldn't want to see me in a swimsuit let alone inflict that on the public.
I will do this smile

Anya Sat 28-Jan-17 18:07:17

Kacee you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by losing weight......if you get my drift confused.

Go for it sister!

seacliff Sat 28-Jan-17 18:12:01

Well done Kaycee - you seem very determined, what a great start you've made. I have a huge amount to lose too, I haven't dared weigh yet. I need to lose for many health reasons apart from just feeling good. I like the idea of the Leslie Sanson walking DVD. Good luck.

Daisyboots Sat 28-Jan-17 18:22:35

Badenkate, I have a similar amount of weight to lose and will be working at it alongside you. I am just looking at the smaller picture of 5kgs at a time. Let's do it. smile

HannahLoisLuke Sat 28-Jan-17 18:51:29

Am I allowed to join this thread even though I'm actually trying to gain weight as well as get fitter.
I'm 5'9" and until this year weighed 8stone and smoked 15 a day. I gave up the ciggies in Sept after 50 years with the help of Champix. Now weigh 8st 8lbs and walk (crawl) about a mile three times a week with my sister who's also trying to improve fitness and in her case lose some weight.
After all those years of smoking I get very breathless but already am noticing a small improvement.
I'll cheer all of you on if you do the same for me.

KatyK Sat 28-Jan-17 18:53:05

I'm 5ft 6 and I'm 10st 9. I know I'm not vastly overweight but this is the heaviest I've been. I have never been overweight and I feel like I am carrying another person around! I've made a start today. I've been on a 40 minute walk and will continue to do this every day when I can. Goood luck to everyone. smile

Barmyoldbat Sat 28-Jan-17 19:50:13

I always lose weight when in Cambodia, no cheese very few cakes, no ice cream that you can trst and no chocolate, it melts! But my big problem is as soon as I get back I eat all the junk I have ben denied, says me tucking into some after eights. So I am going to go to Slimming World next week as I want o be 10 anything by November this year. Going to up my cycling as its good for losing weight and kind on hips. So please kep this going so we can all encourage each other.

Kacee Sat 28-Jan-17 20:09:14

Hannah if you find you are struggling anytime I will happily give you a 1lb or two smile

megbelle Sat 28-Jan-17 21:34:04

Hi everyone this is my first post and I would like to join you all.
I have been overweight for a long time but this year I have vowed to lose 2 stone, I am starting The Slim For Life plan this week.

NanKate Sat 28-Jan-17 21:44:48

Good idea Coppernob I will try the low cal choc drink. smile

wot Sat 28-Jan-17 22:02:11

Katyk, you can't be overweight at your height and weight. I'm 5ft. 6ins and eleven stone but horrid fat stomach. (I don't think dieting would get rid of that)

wot Sat 28-Jan-17 22:03:07

Welcome, Megbelle!

Juggernaut Sat 28-Jan-17 23:17:57

I'm not telling anyone what I weigh, I'm too ashamed of myself! Even my DH doesn't have any idea, only three people know, my Dr, my best friend and me!
I've started doing low carb, which is great for me, because I'm a meat, fish, cheese and butter lover, I have no sweet tooth at all!
I'm keeping my carbs below 100g per day, which has been fairly easy so far, but I'm not great at staying motivated.
I need to do this now though, I'll be sixty in October, and want to be able to enjoy
spending my occupational pension,
Also, we'll be looking after our DGS three days a week from early May, when he'll be eight and a half months old, so I need to improve my mobility!
So, I'll be joining the rest of you ladies, we'll all be unrecognisable by next Christmas!

rubylady Sun 29-Jan-17 05:06:03

Such great posts and lovely encouragement between us new lifestylers. ?❤️ You are all doing so well and looking great! Keep going.

Don't think in stones to lose, think of one pound, one at a time. Don't think of a marathon, think of a stroll. If you have weight to gain, then do it with carbs and not fatty foods. Maybe more pasta and potatoes and wholemeal bread, that sort of thing, more regular than normal. The smokers trying to quit, please just find something to do when that nicotine craving strikes. It will only last minutes and then it goes again but go and clean your teeth, remind yourself how fresh you smell, or write a pro's and con's list for giving up. Keep a daily account of how you feel, buy a star chart and give yourself a ⭐️ when you have a day without a cigarette. Buy some smiley face emoticon stickers and put them around the house, they will encourage you to have a lovely bright smile instead of a bottom of a bird cage taste in your mouth all the time. I've been there, 2 years 3 months clean of the nicotine drug. I literally couldn't take another drag on the cigarette I was smoking, I couldn't breathe. Please don't get that bad. Anyone can PM me if they want to. I am here for you. Keep looking gorgeous ?, take care, X

Lozzamas Sun 29-Jan-17 10:46:37

This is not to be smug - but to say it can be done... last year I had the same desire and from a size 14 and a 30 a day high tar smoker- I'm now a size 8 and don't smoke, I do still occasionally vape a 0 nicotine e-cig on a bad day.... that has to stop too!! I do 10,000 steps a day, at least, drink 2 litres of water and have rediscovered my kindle instead of too much TV (to broaden my mind and rid myself of media driven hype and bad vibes). So it can be done - I support you all totally but I have to be careful with my encouragement as DH says I can become a bit of a fascist about it and he no longer feels he can enjoy his occasional tipple!! My home had never been tidier, my health and energy is good, my bank balance has benefited once I splashed out on new size 8 clothes etc. I am however waiting for it all to go wrong so I still have 200 fags in the cupboard in case and haven't given my size 14's to the charity shop yet , although they're all bagged up ready to go. I'm going back to commuting to work next week and suspect that may drive a tendency to slip back into bad ways!! So my task this year is to consolidate my position into a way of life so I can chuck out my remaining fags and big trousers!!

MissAdventure Sun 29-Jan-17 11:14:26

Lozzamas,
You've done a brilliant job!
At the moment I'd be happy if I could slim into your big trousers! grin

Kim19 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:35:38

Hi rubylady! I was told to avoid potatoes and bread (even wholemeal). Not sure about pasta (the inevitable sauce, maybe). Have I got that wrong?

MissAdventure Sun 29-Jan-17 16:45:04

I can always lose weight by just watching my fat intake (never manage to stick to it!) but at one time I lost 4 stones by eating plenty of carbs, but limiting fat
The plus side, I found, was that I could eat big portions of food.. I do like my food!

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 16:47:37

I would like to get to a 12-14 again.

I think staying off carbs does it for me.
We're all different; I went to a slimming club with someone who said she could only lose weight if she ate a lot of bread!

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 16:53:34

ruby I did have a new look from the hairdresser but it is a disaster as I posted on the hair thread.

Have lost 3 lbs, quite a long way to go.
The trouble is, there is so much food to 'tidy up' after Christmas and I can never start until the end of January/beginning of February.

Thank you for starting this thread smile and good luck!
Hope it keeps its momentum (and all of us do too).

Nelliemaggs Sun 29-Jan-17 18:53:10

Ruby I would love to join you. I am 5ft 9in and weigh 9stone 5lbs so not overweight but just diagnosed with type2 diabetes and raised cholesterol and am flummoxed as I thought my diet is good. Clearly I have to make some changes and somehow fit in more exercise. Like Jalima I find it hard over Christmas right up to my late January birthday and have had to beg my son to stop making me his delicious home made truffles for presents. I need encouragement and look forward to finding it here.

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 18:58:19

Nelliemaggs I'm sorry to hear that and I am not surprised you're flummoxed.
I'm trying a different approach this time as I went to Weightwatchers and lost about 2.5 stone but 1.5 stone has gone back on (slowly at first then more rapidly).

I thought I'd take a look at the low carbohydrate thread too.