Gransnet forums

Health

My New Healthy Lifestyle

(209 Posts)
rubylady Fri 27-Jan-17 03:44:55

Welcome to a new you. This thread is for anyone to post regular updates on their improved health and lifestyle, be it food related, excercise or doing something for yourself which helps your mental health. I started out last September at 16 stones 10 pounds, now I weigh 15 stones 2 pounds. For the first time in years I am going to the hairdressers later. Get ready for No Snack February, there's a few days to eat those biscuits ? or chocolate bar ?. Good luck and I hope I'm not on my own doing this! ?Xxx

Maggiemaybe Fri 17-Feb-17 18:34:55

No, that's not a bad day, KatyK, it's a very lucky one! smile If you had the choc after your lunch, surely it's part of the meal, not a snack (that'd be my excuse anyway).

I'd have eaten both of them before I got home, to be honest.

Badenkate Fri 17-Feb-17 21:41:08

I think that's much better than buying yourself a box of chocolates. It's certainly not a bad day - just 2 chocolates. As maggie says, you saved one and that's an achievement ?

Sunlover Mon 20-Feb-17 09:54:45

Had a fun weekend. Ate far more than I should. However no snacks and I was very active. Clocked up over 20000 steps each day. Did line dancing, ballet, soft shoe shuffle,curling and swimming. Back to sensible eating today.

Rowantree Wed 01-Mar-17 09:55:04

Morning, people - I am four and a half weeks into a Slimming World healthy eating regime and so far am doing ok. Weight loss not brilliant, but it's steady. Have lost over half a stone so far but I'm a 5 ft monster-tub and have about 3-4 stones to lose before I'm at a weight I will be happy with. Now under 12 stones and hoping to keep going, but exercise is a struggle - I'm rubbish at exercise routines and suffer from plantar fasciitis, so walking briskly to my Pilates class at the gym yesterday has left me hobbling around in pain :-(
To make matters worse, my upper body is covered in a mysterious itchy rash which is driving me mad. DD has cats and I picked up some flea bites and the rash has appeared in the last few days since then.
Feeling tired, jaded and lacking in energy today and fed up with the itching. Don't want to bother the GP with something so trivial as it might well ease off in a few days, but it feels horrid.

Need suggestions for exercise I can do at home which doesn't involve jumping around (bad for plantar fasciitis and weak pelvic floors!) and a bit of encouragement for the weight loss. Don't know what I can do to increase the rate of loss without starving myself - I'm eating very healthily, lots of fruit and veg and restricting sugar and fat to an absolute minimum.

Am I on the wrong thread??

br0adwater Wed 01-Mar-17 10:26:36

Rowantree: half a stone in 4 weeks is very good. Gradual weight loss is the very best way I think so keep going as you are. Just keep telling yourself how much you are improving the plantar fasciitis with every pound you lose.

I'd suggest anti-histamines for the rash.

Do you like swimming?

shysal Wed 01-Mar-17 11:14:24

Rowantree. I have been suffering with plantar fasciitis too, which was very painful. When searching on line for help I came across the Heelease which, when used 2-3 times a day, sends shock waves through the heel. After a few weeks of using it my pain has completely gone, making it a quicker recovery than the usual whole year. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. If bought from the official website you can tick a box to avoid paying VAT.
heelease.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKC2v7GftTIE7KnpgXn6FoosgLE-xfj2e-sLGeSEEqh3BoCrVXw_wcB
Congratulations on your weight loss, hope your heel will improve soon.

Anya Wed 01-Mar-17 12:07:13

Rowantree well done. As others have said slow and steady is the way to go.

Exercises...well I do 15 minutes strengthening exercises every morning and there's no jumping involved. I use weights and a dynaband to tone arms, and then take to the floor for back and tummy strengthening and stretching.

Can I ask if you have experience of exercises like these already, in the past perhaps? If so you could start by working up a little routine yourself - aiming for just 5 minutes and then add on exercises you think you might benefit from enjoy, over the weeks.

Rowantree Wed 01-Mar-17 13:21:26

shysal I checked out the site link you sent and ordered one straight away! I'm so desperate for relief. I know that walking is essential for health and fitness but mine is limited when I'm often in pain and walking 'through' it can leave me hobbling around for ages.
br0adwater I'm going to try the antihistamines - I know I have some somewhere!!
As to daily exercises, Anya, that's a good idea. May I ask what weight exercises you do, and which back and tummy strengthening exercises you do?
I have started aqua-aerobics - I can't really swim properly and have only in the last few weeks persuaded myself to get into a swimsuit after decades of feeling I look dreadful in one. I still do, but not a lot worse than many older people in the class, and no one cares anyway! I would like to be able to swim properly though. Thanks to all for the encouragement about the weight loss too - I'm keeping to fruit and raw veggies for snacks though I did have half a dry scone yesterday when we were out at at NT property [hmm}

shysal Wed 01-Mar-17 15:03:37

I hope it works for you Rowantree. They promise a full refund if you are not pleased with it, so you can't lose really!
I hope your itching soon stops. I find Anthisan cream helps for bites, stings and any itch. It is sold at chemists and some supermarkets.
I sometimes make up an exercise circuit at home, using weights or cans of food for the arm ones and doing the sort of static exercises that Anya describes, or you could find more on You Tube, or do some of your Pilates moves. Do each exercise for 2 minutes and take a breather in between if you need to. Add to the routine as you get fitter. Play some music that you like at the same time. Good luck!

Rowantree Fri 03-Mar-17 07:43:54

Thanks, shysal, I hope it works too. It arrived yesterday and, true to form, I am struggling to work out how to wear it/attach the strap so it holds the device in place. I must be truly dim not to be able to follow simple instructions....

I used it for a while but so far it's not made any difference to my foot pain. Is it meant to be instant or cumulative?

Disappointingly too, only another pound lost this week, despite Hercuean efforts diet-wise. Do I have to resort to strong laxatives, emetics, starvation? I eat ONE SQUARE of dark chocolate most nights and only one - previously it'd have been a whole bar of Dairy Milk and then some, plus snacks, cakes and biscuits during the day with DH at coffee and tea time.
My diet is healthy and sensible with loads of veggies and fruit, so I am at a loss (!) to know why the weight isn't falling away by the stone.

I know it's healthy stuff I'm doing but it would be nice to have something to show for it!

Can't walk much ATM due to foot pain. Maybe I should try hopping.

How's everyone else doing with your New Healthy Lifestyles?

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 07:55:46

Aqua aerobics is great exercise Rowantree

It would be hard to describe exactly how to do my exercises without writing a book! I'll browse the net for you and see if I can find some that might suit you and post a link smile

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:10:50

I found this Rowan Exercises for keeping strong as we age

Choose just a couple to start with from both upper and lower body.

Plus; Tummy strengthening.
Lie in your back with knees bent feet on ground. Tighten your tummy muscles and mentally count to 5. Release tummy muscles. Keeping your left knee bent straighten your right leg onto floor. Tighten tummy muscles for 5. Relax then straighten left leg so you now have both legs straight. Tighten for 5. Relax. Bend right leg and tighten for 5. Relax. Bend other leg so you're back to starting position and tighten for 5.
Repeat once more.
The muscles you need to concentrate on are your pelvic fooor ones. Pretend your stopping a wee mid stream and you'll get the idea.
Extend time until you can easily tighten for 9 secs.

The next exercise involves lifting bent legs off the ground. Best left until your core muscles are stronger.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:11:53

Pretend you're stopping ...typo.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:14:01

PS I do balance exercises too. Just looked at the link I posted and there are some great ones on it,

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 08:50:58

Rowantree, I struggled with the Heelease strap too, eventually found a secure fit as in these photos. Place the strap around the foot, put end through the loop then backwards around the ankle and secure end to the Velcro on top of foot.
It took three goes a day for a few weeks before I felt the benefit. I hope if you persevere the same will happen for you.

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 09:41:45

Rowan. P.S. have you tried Skechers Go Walk shoes with memory foam insoles? Not glamorous but I wore/wear nothing else now. I have 6 pairs of shoes and boots in various styles blush, bought from Ebay or Sports Direct. They are the only reason I was able to exercise or walk any distance at all with the fasciitis.

Rowantree Fri 03-Mar-17 11:14:22

anya and shysal - my grateful thanks for your advice and support! I will persevere with the Heelease - your photos are helpful - and check the exercise link so I can work out a regime of my own. I was never good at regular exercise - at school I'd be more likely to be found in the sick bay with a 'migraine' when it was double PE - but needs must now. My father is having worrying symptoms of heart failure which I am really anxious about, and it's making me even more aware of how precious life is, and my responsibility to keep as healthy as I can.
Shoes: Have bought several pairs recently of trainers, walking shoes and so on - none glam, but bought with support and comfort in mind. However, the pain is still there. I will look into Sketchers but they look narrow and I have wide feet! I don't do glam anyway. It's never been 'me'! ;-)

shysal Fri 03-Mar-17 11:41:09

I have wide feet too. The Skechers are perhaps best tried on as the different styles have a slightly differing fit. They do sell wide fit on some 'catalogue' type sites; Very, Simply Be etc.
The shoes are so light and soft! I don't think I shall ever stop wearing them, even use some as slippers as softer than my old ones.
I do hope your heel clears up soon, but at least you know that it always heals in the end, usually after about a year! sad

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 12:26:31

Sketchers do some styles in a wider fit.

Try to commit to just 5 minutes every day Rowan - if you start off too ambitiously you'll start to look for excuses not to exercise. Try to make it the same time every day so it becomes a habit; just NOT after a meal though!!

shysal Sat 04-Mar-17 09:04:29

Do some squats while waiting for the kettle to boil!

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 19:07:48

I have just looked up plantar fasciitis and wonder if the pain can be felt underneath the foot in the arch area rather than the heel.
I am finding it agonising to walk at the moment, the podiatrist said that it is because I am using newly prescribed orthotics and everything is being pushed back into the correct place.
It is not improving at all.

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 19:17:17

Jalima Are you doing your exercises as often as you should? If I forget the exercise I'm worse for a few days.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 19:26:46

I have some physiotherapy exercises to do and am going to follow the ones Anya recommended too.
Is there a specific exercise for plantar faciitis? It has not been diagnosed though.

Norah Sat 04-Mar-17 19:34:04

I have a specific exercise that I do 2 times a day. It wouldn't hurt a person who didn't have the condition. But it does help me. I will look for a link if you'd like.

Jalima Sat 04-Mar-17 22:53:51

Yes please Norah
The exercises I have are to strengthen the ankle but it is my feet that are causing a problem now.

Or I could have a look online.