Gransnet forums

Health

Private health insurance?

(32 Posts)
Azie09 Tue 07-Mar-17 09:07:11

Just curious about how many people use or have used private healthcare insurance, was it worth it, etc. I suppose I am asking in the light of the evident demise of the NHS and hearing a number of scare stories about waiting lists, delayed operations, poor care. I've always opposed private health care on principle and anyway, when I've looked it up it always seems hugely expensive. I also imagine that, as with pet insurance, the companies wangle their way out of paying if at all possible! So that's my question!

M0nica Wed 08-Mar-17 14:49:03

I think all of us have had experiences of the NHS at its best, but have also suffered very poor care indeed. Generally if the need is high level, severe health problems and emergencies, then the treatment is excellent. It is the 'minor' medical problems, the ones that most impact the everyday life of many people; cataracts, severe pain, joint replacements, that are the ones where treatment is most likely to be poor.

JerrySherer Sun 25-Mar-18 10:51:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanTheWiser Sun 25-Mar-18 10:56:23

Reported

GrannyLaine Tue 10-Dec-19 08:54:31

It's an interesting question that you pose. We have always had private medical insurance through my husbands work, though have used it only rarely and for minor conditions. My career was in the NHS at the sharp end so I have some accurate insights into the pros and cons: like other posters I have had experiences of very poor care in the NHS but also of superb, compassionate and effective care. @Luckygirl, I was interested to read your comments about hip replacement and sorry to hear what a rotten time you had with it. At some point soon mine will need to be replaced and though I could have it done privately, I would hope for a skilled surgeon who does the procedure on a very regular basis - that may not necessarily be someone who undertakes private practice. At the moment I'm inclined to think I'll have it done in an NHS hospital.

travelsafar Tue 10-Dec-19 09:07:51

When i worked full time all staff were given free health care at a basic rate with the option to upgrade and or include family members which you had to pay fo. It was a godsend when getting dental treatment, new glasses, visits to the ciropodist and when i had realy bad sciatica i was able to use a physio and acupunturist and the cost was met by the insurance. I do miss not having it now I am retired as i still need dental visits, optition appointments and the chiropodist and out of my pension money this can work out quite expensive especially when it comes to new glasses.

Fennel Tue 10-Dec-19 09:45:01

I was on a waiting for an operation for ages, and the problem was getting worse so we decided to 'go private'. I spoke to the surgeon and the first thing he said was "Do you have insurance?" When I said no, he said he would do it on NHS as a day patient.
Maybe I was lucky, because there were post-op complications and I was back in hospital for 5 days which would have cost a fortune.