Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening......

(87 Posts)
icbn2802 Fri 23-Jun-17 15:05:51

I've just had a letter; well to be more precise, an 'invitation' ( they can dress it up as much as they like but it's still making me very nervous) to take part in a trial they're doing, to 'screen' woman who fall just under the 50 age bracket.
Am feeling kind of anxious. And have got about another 4 weeks to sit & think & steadily wind myself up about.
I'm basically just after a bit of reassurance from others who've already been through this, it's not the sort of thing I can talk to mum about so don't really have anyone else to turn to.....

Myym Sat 24-Jun-17 09:45:08

Nothing to worry about at all. If you want a practice run to know what it feels like...
*Take 2 hard back books
*Stand up
*Place boob between the books
*Squash books together
*Repeat on other side

mcem Sat 24-Jun-17 09:58:35

Comparing smear tests and mammograms - boob squash is no more uncomfortable than smear test and much less embarassing!
Now I'm out of the age range I'll certainly ask for another in 2 years.

allule Sat 24-Jun-17 10:06:33

How do people feel about continuing with tests after 70? I am 77, and had a couple by request, but felt I was being a fusspot.
Then there were reports accusing older woman of not being aware they were still at risk.
Does anyone have any information on this?

kazziecookie Sat 24-Jun-17 10:16:05

I was put on a breast screening trial at age 49 and I had 1 a year for 10 years. It has finished now as I am nearly 61 (so just have 1 every 3 years now)
I didn't mind doing this as it was for research into whether it was worth screening women younger.
I always find it quite uncomfortable but not really painful. I find it is easiest if you can relax and let the radiographer put you in the best position on the machine.
I think if early detection can save your life then and screening can't be bad.

MawBroon Sat 24-Jun-17 10:16:42

Myym you do a disservice to the skilled, gentle and considerate professionals performing mammograms with specially designed equipment. That is NOT an approximation of the procedure, don't be alarmist and don't make things up.
Anybody worried about the procedure does NOT need to hear horror stories like this -especially when exaggeration is the kindest thing to say about your silly suggestion.

goldengirl Sat 24-Jun-17 10:19:35

It doesn't take long and it's worth the little bit of discomfort. Don't hesitate - take up the offer. I've always found the staff very pleasant and helpful.

wildswan16 Sat 24-Jun-17 10:41:55

Please do go, there is a little discomfort but really only for about 10 seconds. Some people don't go because they "don't want to know the result" - which is just silly. I have been called back twice for repeats - which freaks some people out as they immediately think the worst - once was for a technical reason as the picture didn't come out well, the second for a blurry bit which they again wanted to double check. The staff have always lovely and very gentle.

HMarie Sat 24-Jun-17 11:13:36

Another yes vote here. It's a doddle.

tigger Sat 24-Jun-17 11:22:47

You really should take up this invitation, it was this screening process that discovered my breast cancer.

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 24-Jun-17 11:24:41

I think you are right about it hurting more if people have more to squash icbn2802. I'm fairly small and have never found it at all uncomfortable. Well worth having done just for the peace of mind it gives you.

Lupatria Sat 24-Jun-17 11:26:07

i now fall into the over 70s [well i will in august] and had my "squashed boobs" a month or so ago. as i'm disabled i had the results verbally before i left the hospital [they think that disabled people would find it difficult to come back to the hospital if needed again] and by letter a few days later.
in the letter was an explanation that i won't be called up as a matter of course in another three years but am welcome to ring them to book an appointment in 2020 - this i will do. especially as i'm on hrt and intend to continue to take it.

Myym Sat 24-Jun-17 11:35:52

MawBroon... I was trying to be light hearted to show it is nothing to worry about at all. One of the least intrusive of tests in my personal opinion.
I have nothing but respect for the medical service .. I am in a wheelchair, I suffer numerous illnesses, I am in and out of hospital, I recently had a kidney removed and awaiting a possible bowel by-pass (depending on results). So with respect don't you dare accuse me of disrespecting medical staff and their professional expertise.
You do not know me or know my medical background both as a patient and within a professional capacity.

Victoria08 Sat 24-Jun-17 11:42:05

What's to feel anxious about. It's just an X-ray

You are lucky to get invited for one.

I am now nearly 72, so I guess I will have to request one now.
Not sure what the cut of age is. But have always gone for checkups when invited.
You would be silly not to.

Craftycat Sat 24-Jun-17 11:49:08

It is a bit sore but only for a second. I have had all mine since I was about 30 I think. Now they have stopped as I am 66. I would have prefered to continue but that is cut off point here.

Honestly go! The ladies who do it are so friendly & it is totally private. Much less hassle than the smear test- which I also no longer get.

If there is a problem then finding out sooner rather than later is essential. I have a friend who had a lump found at a mammogram & is still alive & cancer free now 15 years later.

Caramac Sat 24-Jun-17 11:52:50

Sorry to be the odd one out but I had one which left me in pain for a week. I'm not a wimp and my high pain threshold has been commented on by several health professionals. I won't go again and hope a clear family history and years of breast feeding is enough

bettyboo22 Sat 24-Jun-17 12:03:04

Definitely go I lost my mum and two aunties through breast cancer don't ignore things that could help even though you think nothing is wrong always check only one life

dizzidi Sat 24-Jun-17 12:10:57

Deep breathe in and as the plate comes down exhale slowly,that should help

inishowen Sat 24-Jun-17 12:24:24

It only takes minutes to be done. I used to find it uncomfortable but the last time it was much better. The nurse said they had a new machine. Hopefully the new machine are everywhere.

quizqueen Sat 24-Jun-17 12:25:44

My mom died of breast cancer in her early 60s and was too scared to go to the doctor's until it was too late. Now I'm that age myself and it's such a relief when I've had my scan and got the 'all clear' letter. Don't put it off. I shall ask to keep going after the cut off at 70. Health is too important to ignore any means we can to stay healthy.

devongirl Sat 24-Jun-17 12:30:26

allule please don't be put off or think you are being a nuisance. Because of the range of screening age, women commonly think breast cancer is most common at these ages but that is not the case: BREAST CANCER RATES INCREASE AS YOU GET OLDER. Continue to request screening if you want to.

www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/breast-cancer/incidence-invasive#heading-One

MawBroon Sat 24-Jun-17 12:39:23

Then, with respect Myym you should know better. People awaiting a procedure are frequently wound up about what it will be like and your description, far from being lighthearted, sounded alarming, and bore no relation certainly to my own experience. God luck with the medical procedures you may be facing.

pollyperkins Sat 24-Jun-17 12:57:23

Ni have to disagree Mawbroon. I think myym's description was fair and made it less not more frightening.
I have never found it more than uncomfortable and certainly never ever taken or needed painkillers. (But friends who are more well endowed than me have said they find it a bit painful. ) however its really nothing to worry about. The dentist or eyebrow threading or even giving a blood sample are much worse!
I once was invited back (to the local hospital not the mobile van) as the result was 'unclear' so I did worry then and feared the worst but it was fine.

Stella14 Sat 24-Jun-17 13:17:08

The problem I have with breast screening is that it gives a high rate of false positives and highlights tiny lumps that would never come to anything. The consequence is frightening investigation and unnecessary surgery. I don't have breast cancer in my family history, so I don't go for them. This is one study that highlights the issue breast-cancer-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13058-015-0525-z

Elegran Sat 24-Jun-17 13:23:51

I have had many mammograms and I am glad I did, because an early tumour ( invisible and unfeelable) was found and removed. I have found that MOST mammogram operators are wonderful. They get you to stand at the right angle to the machine, manoeuvre your boob into position gently, lower the top plate far enough to flatten without crushing, retire behind their glass screen and press the button.

However I have had one or two who do seem unaware of just how far down to lower the plate. It sounds as though a few posters have drawn one of those. If yours is one, say clearly that it is painful.

Mermaid6 Sat 24-Jun-17 13:32:59

I too have been called back a couple of times and once even had a biopsy with a 7 days wait for the result which did not feel too good. However I was clear on both occasions. My advise to every one is try not to worry too much if you are called back to the main hospital rather than the Mobile van. they just want to be absolutely certain, there is nothing there to worry about. I am sure your test will prove to be clear too and wish you good luck.