Gransnet forums

Health

Diet Coke

(132 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 28-Jun-17 12:56:10

I am a diet coke addict. I don't say this with any sense of humour. I am a true addict. I easily drink 6+ cans a day and it was rising. So last week I decided to take control. I haven't had any diet coke since Saturday and it's killing me. I am having so many withdrawal symptoms. It's far worse than when I gave up smoking. I've sorted out the headaches by drinking coffee. I guess that was the caffeine withdrawal. But I'm continually thirsty and hungry. I'm drinking lots of water. Easily more than 2 litres a day but the thirst is always there.

I'm hoping that as the days go on it will get easier like when I stopped smoking and that this excessive thirst and hunger is the diet coke version of the stop smoking cough.

Has anyone else given up diet coke or anything similar?

rosesarered Sat 01-Jul-17 09:00:14

My Mother had an addiction to raw carrots, she would peel and cut them up, put them in a cup of water and then sit and eat them.I assumed it was the sugar content that she liked ( I was a teenager at the time) as before that she would have a small bar of chocolate every night,She was always very thin, whatever she ate ( lucky her!) Had not heard anything about diet coke, we do keep some cans in, nice with sliced lime and ice cubes in hot weather.Only have a couple each week though.Good luck VQ in beating your addiction to it, can you find a good subsitute, lemonade etc? since buying a water filter jug I drink more plain water than I ever used to ( we live in a hard water area, do you?)?

vampirequeen Sat 01-Jul-17 09:18:24

Thank you for the 'well done', Anya.

We live in a hard water area, rosesarered. I've found that I prefer water that has been in the fridge. I've been refilling half litre bottles but now it seems we're being told not to do that. We can't win lol. Anyway I figure the diet coke is more dangerous than the plastic bottle so I'll keep doing it. I sterilise the bottles with Milton every few days so I'm not bothered about a few germs that might be there. The leaching of plastic chemicals seems to be worse if you wash the bottles in warm water so I won't do that.

wildswan16 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:21:23

Well done for persevering vq. It will get easier every day and you may well be amazed at how much difference it makes to the way you feel. Have you tried sucking a boiled sweet rather than drinking so much water? Just keep your end goal in mind and be proud of yourself. (p.s. you must be saving a bit of cash as well wink)

harrigran Sat 01-Jul-17 09:26:22

Diet coke is dreadful for your body, damaging to teeth and artificial sweeteners are not good. DS used to drink a lot and when he tried to stop he became quite ill, we could hardly believe the symptoms he developed, more akin to drug or alcohol withdrawal.
I never touch the stuff, it is better suited to toilet cleaning, I favour chilled sparkling water with apple high juice content squash.

Jalima1108 Sat 01-Jul-17 09:44:52

Well done vq, you are doing really well - keep persevering and you'll do it!

My DC drink a lot of water and, because they are out and about, have thermos-type water bottles rather than plastic bottles. However, I think it is leaving the plastic bottles in the car in the warm is what causes the problem with leaching unless they are BPA-free.

I could be wrong, someone else may know more about it.

hulahoop Sat 01-Jul-17 10:19:20

You sound to be coping very well VQ like you say getting through times which you associate with having cake is hard but you are doing well keep going.?

Menopaws Sat 01-Jul-17 10:41:10

Ok sharing here but with vampire queen going through this I feel it is a good time. I have hit the alcohol a bit hard the last two years due to personal issues, my son pulled me up and I stopped drinking nine days ago and I love a drink, the social side, the oblivion but when a mother makes her 29 son cry she has to do something about it. Now I know coke and booze is different but addiction is addiction. Each day (it's been 9) it gets easier, I wake up better, I sleep better, I'm happier less anxious and I am really proud. Even went to a summer ball last night and drank sparkly water all night without sulking. Keep at it vampire, you will go through stages but if you slip you will feel so cross with yourself, be strong and keep in touch xx

silverlining48 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:23:13

Well done memopaws. (Smile)

silverlining48 Sat 01-Jul-17 13:23:36

Wrong brackets?

Lazigirl Sat 01-Jul-17 13:29:03

Well done vq. I think you are right it's not just the substance but actions involved around it. Some things obviously you can't avoid like drinking........but it sometimes helps by changing routine ie have lunch in different place and diversion tactics too.

hulahoop Sat 01-Jul-17 14:12:56

Well done menopaws

Menopaws Sat 01-Jul-17 17:02:13

Thanks but I'm not out to hijack Vampires post just seems we are at a similar stage so can relate

rosesarered Sat 01-Jul-17 19:04:54

Good luck to both VQ and Menopaws beating any kind of addiction is hard,be it diet coke, alchohol or chocolate. Keep us updated on here, it may well help you to write about it.smile

Menopaws Sat 01-Jul-17 20:49:33

Thank god for anonymity. Only two of my children know and now you lot but you are right it does help because I feel less inclined to go back now others know, thanks friends x we can do this VQ x

GrandmaKT Sat 01-Jul-17 20:59:59

I noticed in the supermarket today that there is now a whole side of one isle just for various colas. This is more than all the cheeses combined! The other soft drinks have a separate isle of their own. This may not be new (we don't drink soft drinks - stick with the wine lol!) - but I ventured down there because we have friends coming tomorrow. I was shocked!!

vampirequeen Sat 01-Jul-17 21:01:11

Wtg menopaws. You're right we can do this.

I didn't have any coke when I was out with my mam. I ordered orange squash but it was too sweet. Next time I'll order water.

Menopaws Sat 01-Jul-17 21:09:06

The Bottle Green cordials are nice diluted with sparkly water, not so sweet but good flavour and satisfying, I'm drinking lots of water too and looking for nice options.

FarNorth Sat 01-Jul-17 21:41:15

Well done vampirequeen and Menopaws!

Faye Sat 01-Jul-17 23:25:01

Great to hear VQ. I also suggest giving sparkling water a try. I didn't like it either but started drinking Sparkling Mineral Water when DD1 and GDs were drinking it. I got used to it and it really does give that hit plus apparently mineral water has lots of health benefits too.

Menopaws well done to you too!

Menopaws Sun 02-Jul-17 17:56:05

How you doing today VQ?

Nandalot Sun 02-Jul-17 19:28:05

What about some cucumber or lemon slices in a jug of water to give a subtle flavour?

vampirequeen Sun 02-Jul-17 19:30:43

Another day without diet coke. Cravings still there. Thirst isn't as bad as it was. Hunger is still there. Yesterday wasn't pleasant as my stomach decided to get involved. I seem to be suffering from indigestion now.

How are you doing Menopaws?

Menopaws Sun 02-Jul-17 20:05:09

Yes fine thanks usually weekend tricky but have negotiated it well, it's such a habit to open the wine while cooking Sunday evening meal, 12 days now.must admit I find food fills the gap so must be careful not to get fat now! High five VQ (that's what everyone seems to do these days!)

vampirequeen Tue 04-Jul-17 16:22:37

Well done Menopaws. Hopefully our withdrawal symptoms will start to settle this week.

Menopaws Wed 05-Jul-17 06:53:30

I'm feeling so much better that its getting easier and easier to resist as I don't want to spoil that feeling, ironically I would love a large gin to celebrate! But I know it's never just one. My moods are better and my heart rate is a lot lower, I don't feel like I'm sneaking around anymore either hoping people don't notice. Hope you ok VQ x