Gransnet forums

Health

Diet Coke

(132 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 28-Jun-17 12:56:10

I am a diet coke addict. I don't say this with any sense of humour. I am a true addict. I easily drink 6+ cans a day and it was rising. So last week I decided to take control. I haven't had any diet coke since Saturday and it's killing me. I am having so many withdrawal symptoms. It's far worse than when I gave up smoking. I've sorted out the headaches by drinking coffee. I guess that was the caffeine withdrawal. But I'm continually thirsty and hungry. I'm drinking lots of water. Easily more than 2 litres a day but the thirst is always there.

I'm hoping that as the days go on it will get easier like when I stopped smoking and that this excessive thirst and hunger is the diet coke version of the stop smoking cough.

Has anyone else given up diet coke or anything similar?

vampirequeen Thu 14-Sep-17 11:39:11

How are you doing Menopaws?

Lindy2017 Thu 14-Sep-17 21:59:38

Well done vampire queen ?I gave up Diet Coke a few years ago as I found the aspartame was actually making me hungry and jittery - I guess the caffeine wasn't helping either! I felt much better once I kicked it. Took a couple of weeks but I've never craved it since.
Just as an aside, do you like tonic water (not sure whether it has sweeteners though.....)

Menopaws Thu 14-Sep-17 23:13:32

Hi VQ, was thinking about you the other day as well! I'm doing well, I got to 60 days but made a conscious decision to have a drink at my husbands 60th birthday party the following day but I waited until well into the evening and really enjoyed it and yes overdid it a little, had a couple of glasses the following day as my daughters 30th and then back to nothing since then, I really feel in control and can decide to have a drink for an occasion but not really fussed otherwise.
Feel I've cracked it but very aware not to get too complacent, how you getting on?

vampirequeen Sun 17-Sep-17 13:26:59

That's brilliant. Sadly I know myself to well and one Diet Coke would lead to another.

People's attitudes have been very odd since I gave up. Some have been supportive (like here ....thanks everyone cos it really helped) but others have almost tried to keep me addicted even though they don't drink it themselves.

I went to lunch with my mam and, although she has always complained about Diet Coke, she wasn't happy with me drinking plain water.

Another person asked what I drank instead so I said, ' Mainly water but I drink coffee too.' She was horrified and asked how I could possibly drink water with no flavouring.

In fact the water issue is the thing that people seem unable to cope with. I don't understand it. We're designed to drink water. Some make suggestions of what I could drink instead (often other forms of diet drink lol). But most simply seem to go into shock at the concept of not adulterating my water with coffee, tea, a range of juices or some chemical mixed flavouring.

Morgana Sun 17-Sep-17 15:56:04

I drink a lot of hot water but recently discovered I like soda water with a slug of lime. Re sweeteners I believe they are really bad for us. D.H. had terrible hip and leg pains until he stopped using sweeteners in his tea.

vampirequeen Sun 17-Sep-17 16:45:20

I've drunk lime and soda a couple of times. It's nice and it keeps my mam happy when we go out for lunch lol.