Gransnet forums

Health

Calling all knee replacement Grans

(51 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 15-Jul-17 10:41:16

Just wondering how everyone has got on since their TKR(s). I know that there are quite a few of you and I well remember the helpful suggestions and support I was offered here.
Well my new knee is fine. It still feels a bit odd but it's an oddness I'm used to and it's not sore (hooray!)
Sadly my other knee is pretty bad and I can foresee another TKR which is a bit of a thought but, currently, I'm constantly having to plan ahead to work out where I can sit or the maximum time I can stand or walk. Its very limiting.
How are you ladies getting on?

Elrel Fri 29-Sep-17 00:39:36

Granny Alli - I've had a bit of hip pain since TKR but a friend is in a really bad way. She has never really got over the TKR procedure because she immediately developed incapacitating hip pain,

kellyon Fri 29-Sep-17 09:12:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kellyon Fri 29-Sep-17 09:12:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annsixty Fri 29-Sep-17 09:17:35

Is this advertising?

Charleygirl Fri 29-Sep-17 11:55:53

I think so ann I have reported it.

Smurf52 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:05:45

To all of you who have had TKRs, what symptoms did you start with? I am 65 and about a year ago I found I couldn’t kneel down. If I did make it in pain, I found it difficult to get back up. My knees seem to click into different positions painfully. Mind you I am several stone overweight so I suppose I should address that first. It’s so hard now I am retirement age to lose weight. I am cutting down on bad foods and trying to eat more healthily. In my younger days I would have lost stones eating like this. The trouble is walking to try and exercise hurts my knees so I am in a catch 22 situation sad

Jane10 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:17

Build up of painful knees over years. Just got used to groaning every time I stood up. Standing became a real problem. Just felt like I'd worn through the cartileges in my knee joint. Finally IT band problems. X-ray showed I was bone on bone hence stretching IT band. Consultant told me it was end stage osteoarthritis and he could tell just by watching me walk! I haven't even tried to kneel for many years. I did the 5:2 diet for the month between diagnosis and operation. It's doable.

Charleygirl Mon 16-Oct-17 21:29:49

Stiffness of affected joint and pain. It was only when I started to have pain in bed at night that I decided to go to see a surgeon and by then I had grade 4 osteoarthritis which as Jane said, is bone on bone.

I had my right knee replaced 5 years ago and was put on the list 48 hours ago to have my left knee replaced. Hopefully it will be done before Christmas.

Jane10 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:56:02

That would be nice and quick Charleygirl. At least you'll really know what to expect and can have everything organised. I'll have a much better idea of what to expect next time. The people on 'Bonesmart' forum always seem to say that no TKRs are the same though. Time will tell!

Charleygirl Mon 16-Oct-17 22:12:36

That is true. A friend of mine had his second knee replaced recently and I could not believe it, he was up and about without crutches in the house within a few days. He has a rather portly body but very skinny legs and I think that helped him.

I agree, at least we will know this time around.

starlily106 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:04:52

I have had both knees done. Painful for a couple of months afterwards, but well worth it. Can't kneel, ( so a feather duster comes in handy for skirting boards), need help sometimes to get back onto feet if I have had to be on the floor for any reason. So lovely to be pain free when walking, but running is a no.no. the ops. have left me a bit knock kneed, and my left leg is a bit shorter than my right, but nothing to worry about. It is so nice to be walking without looking like a drunk aboard a ship in a gale. And free from the terrible pain and backache.

Charleygirl Wed 18-Oct-17 12:22:34

starlily if you had a shoe raise that may prevent hip and back problems in the future. A lot depends on the leg difference as to whether it will be done.

jura2 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:57:26

Surgeon has just phoned to confirm date for my second replacement- Tuesday 6th of March (my choice- I want it to be at the beginning of Spring so I don't have to worry about snow and ice- and also feel that the lovely Summer is ahead).

Yiiikes. My right knee was down in March 2016- and still does not feel my own. I have completely recovered the extension lost years before - but knee bend is stil not as good as I'd hoped (now about 125-130%) and it feels 'weird'. No pain as such, and very strong, but 'weird'. He had warned me - as the replacement was necessary due to a very severe accident (car) in 1970 - it is a miracle I had a normal life really, and could wait until 65. Hopefully second one will be much easier, as that one never had the damage all those years ago, and is just worn out of doing all the hard work for the other one for all those years. Ah well- if I don't do it, will be crippled forever- so just have to bite bullet and hope for the best.

jura2 Mon 23-Oct-17 13:00:03

my right leg was 2.5 cm shorter since the accident- surgeon has been able to make the difference .5 shorter, and will do same t'other way round with the other - so shortening should me only 1.5 cm - as I was young, my body has done incredibly well to compensate without causing back issues. Tai-chi and swimming really helped, I'm sure.

Johndavidson Sun 25-Nov-18 09:51:41

I am due to have a total knee replacement in 3 weeks and have been recommended this step by step video for when I go home after my operation. Hope it is useful youtu.be/4AHdqlfJBIA

acapela1 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:09:02

Hi I ve had a TKR 4 weeks ago and am really concerned how stiff my knee feels and I’m doing exercises is this normal.

Delphie Sat 18-Apr-20 02:46:50

Its so good to see that others with total knee replacements have similar problems to myself , i was beginning t think I was a freak. Has any one had this weird feeling I have had with my second knee replacement .Fast asleep when the whole leg moves on its own, bends back and is agony & will not go back it seems for minutes whilst I am screaming out in pain. ? Also had on the healed scar then first 1 starts weeping then 2 others & had to have a minor op being told that some internal stitches had somehow got infected .? regards Delphie

Charleygirl5 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:27:37

My knees have felt like normal knees from day 1. I cannot understand why some people have little pain post-operatively whereas I was in agony even 6 weeks post-op.

I cannot kneel and I would have one awful job getting up if I did fall. I never was a "walker" soI am more than happy with my replacements- I also go up and down stairs sideways- I look odd but I feel safe.

May I remind you if you have an infection elsewhere in your body- think of your joint replacement and do not ignore it.

GrannySomerset Sat 18-Apr-20 14:34:53

I had both knees done, six months apart, ten years ago. Very painful post-operatively, but took to heart my surgeon’s firm instructions to take the painkillers and exercise religiously. He wanted to see a 90 degree bend by day 3 and warned if that didn’t come fairly fast it probably wouldn’t. I was frightened into obedience but have had no bother. Can’t kneel for long and get up, as DGS pointed out, like a camel, but in the great scheme of things feel grateful to have done so well. We spent a lot of our savings on these two operations and have never regretted it.

Delphie Sat 16-May-20 00:49:04

Hi all well 4 months after my second knee replacement , walking normally , in fact all is well .But I am scared to swim in our pool, I want to swim again but am using a float but cant swim without it or even with it really. Am I abnormal?

patcaf Sat 16-May-20 15:07:25

Mine was done just 10 weeks ago. Really got my life back as I was in constant pain and walking with a stick. Now walking normally with no pain and driving again. Post op pain was not too bad and eased off fairly quickly. Still watching what I do as it is not 100% yet but no regrets at all.

Delphie Fri 22-May-20 13:16:18

Hi all I just want to say after being determined one day when I went in our pool, after using a float for a few days got angry with myself and decided enough was enough .i am not a natural swimmer as my Husband is,heis up& down trying to ignore me moaning, but one day when alone in the pool I did swim a bit on my own increasing a bit more and its as if after a bit of practise at the side getting both knees working as its 4 months since my second knee replacement , and 1 & half years since the first. I am now enjoying swimming again no athletic champion not that I ever will be but enjoying in the pool. Good luck to you all on here.

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jun-20 14:16:21

I have managed to find this- no doubt there are many more but at least it is a start.

Rufus2 Sat 13-Jun-20 14:56:27

How are you ladies getting on?
Just a gentle reminder that men also have knees, although we are probably not down on them as often scrubbing floors.!
After all, how did the term "Housemaid's Knee" arise!? grin
For the record, I've had 2 TKRs for years; thankfully no problems.

Charleygirl5 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:21:23

I am so pleased mine were done -my only hope is that they "will see me out!"