Gransnet forums

Health

Sitting rising test - can anyone do it? How???

(13 Posts)
grassgreen Mon 02-Oct-17 13:40:14

www.dailymail.co.uk/video/health/video-1152699/Watch-sitting-rising-test-carried-out.html

This seems to feature on lots of fitness, keep young type TV programmes but can anyone actually do it?

I consider myself to be fairly fit but I can't move off the ground in the starting position! blush

Anyone have any tips on how to do it? Or how to at least make a start? confused

tanith Mon 02-Oct-17 13:55:55

I think there is already a thread about this.
I'd never be able to do it as I've never been able to sit crossed legged even when small my hips just won't bend even though they are now both replaced joints.

MiniMouse Mon 02-Oct-17 14:16:28

Yes, this was on another thread recently. It's worth pointing out again that this test is not everyone! It puts too much strain on joints and so has the potential to be harmful. Can't remember where I heard/read this, but it was quite recent.

Daisydoo2 Mon 02-Oct-17 14:21:56

I can't do this either... my excuse very large long legs, the weight balance is all wrong.

grannysue05 Mon 02-Oct-17 16:29:48

Went down with legs crossed at the ankles beautifully.
Then tried to stand up .... absolutely no way.
It was impossible.
I was a beached whale.
Not long on the planet for me then .....

TriciaF Mon 02-Oct-17 16:34:25

No way! It's the knees!

Volvariella Sat 07-Oct-17 20:59:52

I did it by leaning forward to shift the weight forward

valeriej43 Sun 08-Oct-17 09:42:58

At what age though ? im sure most older people cant do it
I wont try it yet,as i twisted my knee, and although much better not going to risk any more damage, but i am sure i wont be able to do it

hildajenniJ Sun 08-Oct-17 10:12:32

I was able to do this exercise until fairly recently. Unfortunately, now my left knee has arthritis, and I find it painful to sit cross legged.

nightowl Sun 08-Oct-17 10:44:41

I read this as sitting/ rising trot! Thought I had strayed on to a horse forum grin.

I suppose when your eyesight is that bad it’s time to give up horses. And I can’t do the sitting/ rising test for love nor money shock

Jane10 Sun 08-Oct-17 10:48:01

I daren't risk this. God knows what it would do to my knees!!

Teetime Sun 08-Oct-17 12:29:53

Cant do it and don't care- I don't believe its a reliable indicator at all it denies so many variables

Charleygirl Sun 08-Oct-17 12:30:17

Jane you would still be there this time tomorrow. Like me you no doubt cannot attempt to kneel on your knees if you could not get up the way shown.