Gransnet forums

Health

High ketones in DGD's urine

(9 Posts)
Rowantree Thu 12-Oct-17 16:43:19

Hi
I know this is no substitute for medical advice which DD is trying to do, but DGD is just four and has had several UTIs in the past year. DD bought some medical grade test strips to keep at home. Today DGD is struggling again (keeps refusing to go to the toilet) and DD tested her urine and found that ketones were off the scale. Anyone any idea of what this might mean? Diabetes springs to mind which is very worrying!

BlueBelle Thu 12-Oct-17 16:52:26

I would take the little one to A and E and not mess about
Hope all is well

Rowantree Thu 12-Oct-17 17:10:21

She's due at the GP now. Hopefully he will tell her to go there. Wish we lived closer :-( and we're going away early on Saturday....

paddyann Thu 12-Oct-17 19:51:26

my GD is prone to UTI's too,her problem is she doesn't drink enough.We try to make sure she always has water on hand but often its not touched.She doesn't like using the loo anywhere but home which is part of her problem .She is 8 and she knows she needs to drink more so we just have to persevere .

Morgana Thu 12-Oct-17 20:17:13

Would she drink more with a nice straw? How did the G.P. go?

Lona Thu 12-Oct-17 20:32:51

Ketones in the urine is a sign of diabetes, I hope the gp is helpful.

Tegan2 Fri 13-Oct-17 00:54:04

I seem to remember when my daughter was that age she was prone to urine infections. I'm sure the Dr said it was because little girls tended to wipe their bottoms from the back to the front. I'd completely forgotten about it till I read this thread.

Nelliemoser Fri 13-Oct-17 09:17:52

I agree with others she needs to get to a GP very soon. Diabetes needs to be ruled in or out of her problems.
A scary thought but not one to be ignored.
I hope all is well .

Tegan2 Fri 13-Oct-17 11:01:53

Just a thought; make sure you have a few of those sterile bottles for urine samples that you get from the doctors and, if you do take a sample in, ask what time the samples are sent away to the labs [if that is needed] because things like that are often collected quite early in the day.