Gransnet forums

Health

Is it worth doing?

(55 Posts)
minimo Thu 12-Oct-17 16:50:43

I've been feeling a bit tubby (or tubbier!) of late and I was thinking of doing something about it before the inevitable slide of C***** festivities and all the food and drinking that goes alongside it. Any tips?
Or should I just say sod it and face the fat consequences in January?

Izzywizzy Thu 12-Oct-17 17:13:43

No don't say sod it because it will be harder to lose more weight in January . If you lose the weight now then you will be more likely to go easy at Xmas as you won't like seeing your weight going back on.
Good luck !

hellymart Thu 12-Oct-17 18:26:24

I agree! There's still more than 2 months until Christmas, so plenty of time to do something positive, like join Slimming World, or a gym or resolve to walk every day?

tanith Thu 12-Oct-17 18:52:25

I know I have a Diabetic check up coming up in December so I really want to get back to the weight I was 6mths ago it's just crept back on and I'm mad with myself. I agree with the others there is time in the next 2 months.

loopyloo Thu 12-Oct-17 19:03:15

I have decided I am fed up with being 2 stone overweight. So I am going to tackle it . Have gone back to an old Rosemary Conley booklet 1400 cals high protein low carb.
Wish me luck.

Dianic Fri 13-Oct-17 09:58:13

@minimo I felt exactly the same a couple of years ago, so I started the 5:2 diet 6 weeks before xmas. Dropped 2 dress sizes and managed to restart a more healthy eating regime. It was a bit of a shock to the system, but worth it!

I've gained a few pounds since then but my clothing sizes have stayed the same (I'm "top-heavy", so buy size 14 tops and size 12 bottoms).

Whatever diet/eating plan you choose, good luck!

Lyndie Fri 13-Oct-17 10:00:08

I just eat what I normally do but cut the amount in half. I eat quite healthy so no need to change my diet. I do stick to the same amount of veg and salad. I still eat cake but half the amount. I find weight comes off straight away. I usually put on half a stone and a week to get it off. I hope this helps.

sweetcakes Fri 13-Oct-17 10:03:34

I've cut out carbs well some of them! Also changed from cows milk to goats milk smaller fat molecules and easier to digest also smaller dinners with plenty of vegetables not potatoes it's just a change in the way you eat and as for Christmas where does it say you have to over indulge

Coconut Fri 13-Oct-17 10:05:57

This is the weather for lovely veg casseroles, easy to make and low in fat. Also lovely long walks in the woods to enjoy autumnal sunshine. Agree with Dianic, the 5:2 diet is very effective, even my Dr recommended it. Start now and look amazing at Xmas get togethers !

Pamaga Fri 13-Oct-17 10:09:01

I joined Slimming World a few months ago and have been very happy with my weight loss. I just went to a couple of classes, got the literature and the gist of it and now am DIYing. I am not a joiner and don't like the slimming club methods of going round asking about weekly weight loss, applauding the greatest 'losers' etc. I have no affiliation with SW so this is not a commercial for it but I would recommend it to anyone who wants to lose weight without being deprived. It seems a very healthy way of eating (rather than a diet). I am leading loads of good stuff and still losing or maintaining on my weekly weigh-in at home. I am the lightest I have been in over 20 years. I We've been on two holidays abroad and I have managed to eat the food on offer without piling on the pounds - just making sensible, healthy choices.

chelseababy Fri 13-Oct-17 10:10:26

If you need help there are lots of online groups you can join. I started with weight watchers in April and have lost 16 pounds - not a lot but I have had a week in Italy and a 2 week cruise!

squiggy Fri 13-Oct-17 10:14:00

I have found that since I am older, it takes longer for the weight to start to come off. So, I would say be patient and don't give up. It will happen, and once it does, it becomes so much easier. Make sure your food is tasty and appetising, eat more slowly and remember that your diet needs to be sustainable or the weight will just go back on afterwards. Good luck.

Kate16 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:14:31

Gransnet seems such a good idea but my news feed from here is always of dismal, moaning, unhappy posts. Can this be changed? It gives the impression that grandparents (and women in particular) spend their time finding something to groan about all the time instead of being thankful to have achieved grandparenthood and all the joy it brings.

I do realise that we all go through difficult circumstances from time to time and agree that the forum provides a place to air issues and to exchange advice but surely the emphasis would be better on positivity rather than negativity?

Craftycat Fri 13-Oct-17 10:21:31

Both Low Carb & 5:2 have worked well for me- just need to start doing one of them again.
Went carb free in Spring as DH had really high blood sugar following a bug he had, He lost 4 stone in about 3 months. He really did need to lose it. I lost 1 1/2 stone. It was so easy & we didn't really miss carbs after first week.
All went to pot when we went on holiday but we are starting again next week & actually looking forward to it.

KatyK Fri 13-Oct-17 10:25:45

My sister does the 5:2 and she maintains her very slim figure.

elfies Fri 13-Oct-17 10:26:37

Could we start a 'positive' thread where we all try to post one lovely thing which happened recently .
I had a lovely seventieth birthday yesterday and my grandson sang happy birthday down the phone to me in a lovely singing voice I hadn't realised he had .

LadyGracie Fri 13-Oct-17 10:26:56

I joined SW in May, I go weekly to be weighed but don't stay for sharing your life history. I got to my target weight after losing 2 stone 4 weeks ago, so now I'm a free life member and will keep going as attending gave me the incentive to lose weight and continuing will help me maintain it.

Candelle Fri 13-Oct-17 10:27:23

I am inclined to be with you, minimo and say 's*d it' but think that you do know the answer to your own question! If you really are two stone overweight, start now as some of your excess weight will be water and the first half stone will probably drop off quite easily.

Once you have the impetus of that early weight loss, you can keep to a 5:2/low carb/whichever weight-loss method you choose, and keep on going until you are where you want to be.

I quite enjoy calorie counting as it suits me. Mentally keeping to less than 1400 calories a day means I can enjoy everything - but less of it. I know the value of most food, and it is really simple. The additional benefit of this regime is that if I am over for a day (out with friends, etc.) I can rein it in the next and thus overall keep to where I want to be. I feel in control.

I will probably put my 'diet' (although I hate that word, as it is really a new way of eating rather than a diet, per se) completely on hold for the festive fortnight and just pick up where I left off in January. I don't want to have to say 'no' to everything offered to me (it's OK in one's own home to choose wisely but more difficult when in others).

Whatever you choose, have ago at it now - don't wait or you will have a miserable time over the festive season. Just do it! Good luck.
PS
Don't go into the food hall of M and S if you have a sweet tooth. Their chocolate biscuit/chocolates are on offer and I have to steel myself not to buy (my weakness). If you are not in the shop, you can't 'accidentally' buy them!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:28:21

I agree that it's a good idea to start now. You don't have to go barmy - just eat smaller portions and say no to the treats - a bit joyless but it works. Could you go veggie for a short while? I know salads don't seem very appetising when the weather gets colder but they've helped me. A little extra exercise would probably help.
When Christmas arrives try not to put an enormous amount on your plate, I understand how tempting this is. When anyone asks if you've got enough say 'yes' firmly but politely. You can still have a good time without stuffing yourself. And you won't feel like an exploding mattress like I did last year.

everso Fri 13-Oct-17 10:31:06

I was a bit overweight, but nothing serious, when back in March I went for a blood test and found out I was pre-diabetic! Since then I've followed a relatively low carb diet and I'm never hungry, but the thing that has definitely got rid of the weight is swimming twice a week for an hour each day. I've lost over a stone and am much better for it.

Kim19 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:37:36

Minimo.....morning! Yes, for your health, happiness and fitness do have a go but DON'T overdo it. Simply have your chosen diet but, on each and every occasion, reduce the amount of 'whatever' ever so slightly. This will then automatically become your norm and so it goes on. Sure worked for me but not without trials at first. Just losing 1lb a week is considered a bonus by me and, happily, three years on.......staying off

Heather23 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:39:33

Don't know if you take sugar in your hot drinks but I found replacing it with stevia based sweeteners has made a difference - do it gradually as some don't like the taste but certainly in coffee I can't tell the difference now. Also I use a smaller wine glass now so have reduced alcohol intake (full of calories). You will feel better about yourself if you can shed some pounds before the festive season starts and then not feel guilty if you over-indulge. Good luck!

farmgran Fri 13-Oct-17 10:40:47

I went to my doctor about a sore knee and she prodded my thigh and said 'you need to get rid of some of that'! So I've reluctantly gone on a diet and given up bread as this has worked before. It makes lunch slightly difficult though as I'm addicted to salad sandwiches!

MinniesMum Fri 13-Oct-17 11:00:03

Like many others, I simply started to eat less dropping most of the carbs. We started in April when I was 12:10lb and I am now 10:7lbs which is about right for someone who is 3'8" tall. For some time I have been on medication for heartburn but it disappeared back in May and hasn't come back so I am almost brave enough to drop the Omeprazole.
All my size 18 and 16 stuff has now gone to the Charity shop and I am gradually refilling my wardrobe with 14s.
This is it - no going back just a permanent change in the way I eat. Like others we still have the occasional bit of cake but I haven't eaten any chocolate since April and I really don't miss it. Snacks these days tend to consist of walnuts and dried cranberries.

margrete Fri 13-Oct-17 11:06:22

I usually put on weight when we go on holiday and I think it's probably because of evening dinner.

At home we always have a reasonably good breakfast and a late-ish lunch. After that, I never feel like eating, so I don't eat anything else until tomorrow's breakfast. I can control my weight that way but, really, if I don't feel hungry/don't feel like eating, I don't eat it.

Today for example, we've had half a grapefruit with Stevia sweetener. Boiled egg and one slice of toast, marmalade, coffee x 2. We're having turkey stir-fry for lunch then a piece of fruit. And that will be it. I shan't want any more. Tomorrow early breakfast, then we're travelling down to Battle to have lunch with friends in the Abbey Hotel.

I've probably been on every diet known to man and I'm not very active. What I do now works for me. I just don't ever want to get to 11 stone again.