Gransnet forums

Health

Flowers of Bach

(28 Posts)
giulia Wed 18-Oct-17 07:29:37

I tend to have irritable bowel syndrome. I know the reasons are emotional and I know the problem that causes my stress will not disappear soon or ever. I didn't want to become a slave to the medicine my doctor subscribed so decided to try Flowers of Bach as I had read they can be helpful. At my chemist, I had to complete five pages of weird personal questions and from this they made up my "cure". It consists of four ingredients plus a drop of brandy(!). In less than a month I could truly feel the difference and came off my medicine with my doctor's approval. She simply wanted to know which were the ingredients but certainly didn't pooh pooh my alternative.
I order a bottle every month and it only costs me eight euros (I live in Europe, not UK).

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 07:44:12

Bach Flower Remedies are a total placebo, but if you believe they work for you fine.
However I would seriously caution against rejecting a conventional therapy for a medical condition.
If your IBS is aggravated by stress or emotional issues (which it so often is) reducing that stress is good, but IBS is not caused by stress, although those who suffer from it may be more sensitive to emotional issues. A change of diet may also make a huge difference as IBS sufferers frequently suffer from food intolerances as well as anxiety.
Complementary medicine has its place but diseases connected with the auto immune system should not be left entirely to alternative therapies.

harrigran Wed 18-Oct-17 09:11:57

I agree with Maw.

loopyloo Wed 18-Oct-17 09:20:42

To my knowledge, Bach Flowers contains some herbs and is not just a placebo. Some herbs are very useful and could well sooth the gut.
Glad you found something that makes you feel better.

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 09:50:51

A Brandy and soda makes me feel better (most of the time, whatever the circumstances) doesn’t mean it is an acceptable alternative therapy!
I think those with experience of bowel disease or auto immune disorders in general would advocate prudence over enthusiasm.
Not to say that reducing stress by whatever means (hypnotherapy, meditation, relaxation, reflexology etc) because they increase a feeling of well being would not necessarily work on some of the things which trigger IBS but they are not a cure of what is a medical condition.
The fact that you can buy Bach Remedies over the counter is an indication of how “general” any effect might be. I would be concerned that it might mask symptoms which need investigation too.

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 11:17:55

The remedies are not a placebo. They are not an alternative medicine but a complimentary medicine . They do not have side effects, work on babies and animals too so cannot be dismissed as a placebo.

The small amount of brandy added is to preserve the water the remedies are mixed in, keep taking them and good luck

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 11:32:39

Tried to find some test results because I am still sceptical.
I will accept the stress and anxiety relief but a complememtary medicine is not the same as an alternative.
IBS , UC, Crohns, Coeliac, Psoriatic Arthritis, asthma eczema etc ate all auto immune disorders and need medical assessment as to what treatment is advisable.

Published Wednesday 10 September 2014
Bach Flower Remedies are the brain child of Dr Edward Bach who, as an ex-homeopath, invented his very own highly diluted remedies. Like homeopathic medicines, they are devoid of active molecules and are claimed to work via some non-defined ‘energy’. Consequently, the evidence for these treatments is squarely negative: my systematic review analysed the data of all 7 RCTs of human patients or volunteers that were available in 2010. All but one were placebo-controlled. All placebo-controlled trials failed to demonstrate efficacy. I concluded that the most reliable clinical trials do not show any differences between flower remedies and placebos
Just as many people swear by homeopathy and others dismiss it out of hand, opinions and anecdotal evidence will continue to differ. .

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 11:49:54

I did say they are a complimentary which means they work with authodox medicine, alternative means replace authodox yes ?

merlotgran Wed 18-Oct-17 11:52:59

I'm all for people taking responsibility for their own health whenever possible so if you've found something that works for you, giulia I would carry on.

It sounds like neither the chemist nor your doctor have advised against it so you're not doing yourself any harm and being symptom free is a joy.

I banished IBS a year ago by removing gluten from my diet. I wish I'd done it years ago.

I hope you continue to feel well.

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 12:48:14

Apologies anniebach I didn’t mean to sound as if you were recommending it as an alternative you did indeed say complementary but in general the principle that “it must be healthy because it is herbal” is applied all too easily in these days of homeopathy, herbalism, clean or raw eating and so on.
Of course gluten intolerance is going to be a major problem if not diagnosed early on and I also know people who suffer (DD3 who has psoriatic arthritis is doing much better since she cut out wheat and dairy produce) but like all things it has to be informed doesn’t it?
There are still charlatans and purveyors of snake oil out there and masking symptoms or missing a diagnosis of a bowel issue can have serious consequences.

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 13:16:28

No problem Maw. I am concerned when people choose alternative treatments without any authodox consultation. I am a Bach therapist and when I did practice I would not give remedies for some ailments, I would give for stress, grief, worry, many emotional troubles but not for post natal depression.

The remedies are not intended to treat physical illnesses but to treat any emotional problems which may be at the root of physical illnesses . Who would give a remedy for appendicitis.

When my daughter had her babies there was a bottle of Bach rescue remedy on every locker in the maternity ward ?

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:09:20

IS that why you are called anniebach ?
I had assumed it was a Welsh term of endearment smile
No reason it can’t be both of course ?

giulia Wed 18-Oct-17 15:11:26

Mawbroon: I had a colonscope very recently and all is well down there. Mine is definitely emotional and Flowers of Bach have hit the nail on the head.

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 15:18:32

Maw, Dr Bach name is pronounced Batch.

My Bach is Welsh for little, which was sweet when my grandfather called me that when small, just means little Annie. Not sweet when one reaches 5.7"

Just had a thought, he also called me cariad bach which means little darling, I should have chosen than as my user name, everyone would have to address me as darling grin

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 18:10:15

That is good Giulia did you also have a gastroscopy? Or indeed a capsule Endoscopy which goes all the way through from top to tail including the wiggly bits in the middle which a colonoscopy can’t reach?
(Rather like Heineken Beer for those who remember the slogan) grin

BlueBelle Wed 18-Oct-17 19:30:27

They will work if you believe in them like anything but I don’t so they don’t do anything for me

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:01:34

I don't believe that IBS is a condition or should be used as a diagnosis as anyone I know who has been 'diagnosed' with IBS has found later that in fact they had some other condition. It is a lazy diagnosis.

However, if the Bach remedies are working for you Guilia then that is good. I have used the Rescue Remedy when flying and I am sure it helped (even if it was psychological).

I didn't know it was pronounced Batch anniebach

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 20:31:21

Yes Jalima , it's pronounced Batch . I really believe the remedies help, else why would dogs benefit, and babies.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 20:42:08

I understand that the Queen uses them so she is a believer in their efficacy.

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Oct-17 20:43:13

Annie I use the Bach remedies and homeopathy a lot. I have revived house plants with Rescue Remedy, and also revived a baby magpie that had fallen out of its nest. I dropped some Rescue Remedy on its beak, even I was surprised how quickly it recovered, and then its parents swooped down to begin feeding it again.

By the way, whoever said IBS is an auto immune condition is wrong ... it's not. It can be triggered by stress and allergies and intolerances.

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 21:13:33

Sparkle, it's great on plants isn't it and how lovely to learn of the baby Magpie. I believe in the remedies, I also use homeopathy, my homeopath has retired and I am hunting for a new practitioner. Need one .

MawBroon Wed 18-Oct-17 21:24:23

Mea culpa, Mea Maxime culpa sparklefizz I was of course talking about IBD and confused the two. blush

The pathogenesis of Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), the two main forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), is still unclear, but both autoimmune and immune-mediated phenomena are involved. ... Various complementary factors probably contribute to the loss of tolerance to commensal bacteria in IBD

petra Wed 18-Oct-17 21:27:24

Before one of my cats died she would often have fits, rescue remedy brought her round in seconds.
jalima
How true, lazy diagnoses. As in my own case, it was diverticulitis.

Anniebach Wed 18-Oct-17 21:54:18

always good to hear when they have helped Petra.

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Oct-17 23:08:03

This link below is worth reading. and seems to have some scientific validity.
Loopyloo
" To my knowledge, Bach Flowers contains some herbs and is not just a placebo. " But placebos actually do work.

Think of the context of "kissing it better" for a small childs bumped head, it works because they believe it will help .
What is wrong with that?
I would not choose it for a serious illness but if someone helps you to feel more comfortable and reasures you, you do feel better.
There is increasing evidence that placebos work

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34572482
Why are placebos getting more effective?

This link is worth reading.