Gransnet forums

Health

WHY - and this is about health - are socks made as they are?

(48 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 23-Oct-17 09:37:41

You get new socks, and they are made at an angle of about 120 degrees - or more - at the heel.
But feet are at 90 degrees....

Result, for me, is a tight creased band forming over the front of my ankle round to the heel.
And - varicose veins all over my feet beyond this.

Now I didn't know this could happen. Varicose veins on your feet? It has happened rather quickly, as at the beginning of August I was walking around Iffley Lock in Oxford with my grandson and I don't remember problems.
Now I'm having to treat my feet very carefully and find they can be quite painful, especially as one vein is at the back of my right heel. None of my shoes are comfortable.

Please don't recommend 'comfort top' socks, I've been getting various makes for years. Most of them aren't.
I'm debating diabetic socks, but they look like sacks!

GP is referring me to a Foot and Ankle clinic, but when?

.......any help?

annodomini Mon 23-Oct-17 10:15:25

That sounds like a most uncomfortable condition, Allie. I have a number of 'diabetic' socks which just look like ordinary socks with a non-elastic top. If they looked like sacks, I wouldn't be wearing them.

AlieOxon Mon 23-Oct-17 10:21:13

anno if you know of really nonelastic top socks please tell me! Recently I've had some from Sainsbury's and some from Age Concern shop....but they aren't. Also, they shrink.

I used to be able to get BHS ones which were bright colours and just ribbed all the way up and they stayed up as well.
All those, I have worn out.

clareken Mon 23-Oct-17 10:28:43

The catalogue that comes in the paper, or magazine tends to have diabetic socks. There was one in yesterday's daily mail.

annsixty Mon 23-Oct-17 10:35:15

I believe BHS are still available online, hope this helps.

Lindylou57 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:38:12

Hi All, Have you tried Cosyfeet. They are online but do a small catalogue as well.Its for the wider foot but I buy their ankle socks and find them to be quite a loose fit. Get hubby 'diabetic socks' from them as well and he seems to like them.

blueskies Mon 23-Oct-17 11:11:20

I read somewhere that all socks sold are now made in China. Images of foot binding?!

MadFerretLady Mon 23-Oct-17 11:14:34

I make my own with rather beautiful wool, often hand dyed. The downside is family members either snaffle or beg them off me. Knitting them is also meditative and relaxing (if you like knitting)...

MadFerretLady Mon 23-Oct-17 11:19:59

These were made with Opal sock wool... not expensive....

JanaNana Mon 23-Oct-17 11:35:27

Could I suggest you buy some men's socks as these seem to be done in various sizes more than women's do. To stop my socks becoming tight I always dry them naturally (never tumble dry) and pull them well into shape first. I buy mine from M&Co and they are very hard-wearing although still having elasticated tops they never feel tight. Have just looked at my DHs socks which he buys from Burton's and the tops of those don,t seem very tight fitting. As your GP has referred you, you may be prescribed support ones to help deal with the varicose veins in your feet. Do hope you find something comfy in the meanwhile.

nipsmum Mon 23-Oct-17 11:43:07

I too am diabetic and buy pure wool socks without toe seam from a company called Cosy Feet. The socks are very good shape in a variety of sizes. Not cheap but worth every penny. Have a look online for them.

JackyB Mon 23-Oct-17 11:45:16

I will sometimes walk for miles checking that socks don't have that awful ridge of a seam over the toes. That really rubs and is unnecessary. I found some quite cheap, warm socks sold in our local supermarket in packs of 5, but without that horrible ridge across the toes. Very comfy and warm and they match everything.

It's never bothered me that the socks are at 120 degrees rather than the natural shape of 90 degrees. I thought they closed up to the 90 degrees when filled with feet. Perhaps you could avoid the problem by wearing very thin socks - two pairs together if it's cold?

Jane43 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:55:45

Bamboo socks are lovely. They are very soft and hygienic.

mcem Mon 23-Oct-17 13:36:39

Jacky the seams over the toes irritate me too. All my socks are plain black and noone notices if I wear them inside out.
I do try to buy seamless but don't like to waste ones I've been given!

Fennel Mon 23-Oct-17 14:30:13

"Bamboo socks are lovely. They are very soft and hygienic."
I was going to add that too, Jane43.
I bought some for my husband and he won't wear anything else now.
And they seem to be angled right.

W11girl Mon 23-Oct-17 15:34:33

I bought diabetic socks for my husband. He is not diabetic, but needs comfortable tops.
They fit very well and are not baggy at all.

catwoman Mon 23-Oct-17 16:32:05

I wear bamboo knickers & they are so comfy. I always used Sloggies but prefer bamboo ones. Must look on line for bamboo socks. Thankyou.

Liz46 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:33:52

I have also just bought some gentle grip bamboo socks and they seem very soft. I have previously bought a different make of gentle grip socks and they are gently but maybe because of that, they do not last very long. I have only seen them online.

shysal Mon 23-Oct-17 16:37:16

I have some M&S socks which are very soft and don't mark my ankles at all. However they are rather thin and soon wear out. I had an idea they contained silk, but there aren't any on their site, so this link might show something similar, as one of the reviews says they are not too tight.
www.marksandspencer.com/5-pair-pack-freshfeet-supersoft-socks-with-silver-technology/p/p60086880?image=SD_02_T60_7474B_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp
Good luck with your search.

AlieOxon Mon 23-Oct-17 17:39:06

Thanks all. I can't run to £16 socks I'm afraid.... pensioner on a budget. But I've now been spurred on to impulse buys of two different kinds of socks and will let you know if they are any better than the others I mentioned before!

Elrel Mon 23-Oct-17 18:20:52

I've tried loads. Bamboo were much too big for my feet although nice otherwise. The best I've found were on eBay, Gentle Grip, the name is on the instep. They're the only 'soft tops' that really don't leave a ridge on my leg. Years ago I had some good ones with roll tops from John Lewis but I've not seen them since. Some from Henley on Thames street market only left a slight mark. I've written to M&S suggesting they stock some soft tops but to no avail.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 23-Oct-17 18:24:13

I saw some bamboo socks in Aldi last week.

Elrel Mon 23-Oct-17 18:25:48

Shysal - maybe M&S did listen! I'll look for those. The assistants seemed to have no idea what I was asking for.
I've got loads of socks with the elastic snipped too.

HootyMcOwlface Mon 23-Oct-17 18:25:51

Oops. They were about £4 for 5 pairs (I think - less than £1 a pair anyway I remember thinking.)

Liz46 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:28:00

Elrel, they are the ones that I normally get (they have gentle grip written on the bottom) but I couldn't get my usual colour for some reason the other day so ordered the bamboo gentle grip ones.