Gransnet forums

Health

Health and Peppa Pig

(27 Posts)
Pollaidh Wed 13-Dec-17 08:11:17

www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5397
The link above should take you to an excellent and extremely funny article about the impact of Peppa Pig on healthcare expectations. Worth reading!

Iam64 Wed 13-Dec-17 08:25:23

Very funny article - Peppa has such influence on little one's and helped one of ours to swallow the antibiotics he was prescribed. It's been good on "sharing" and taking turns, bullying and having fun at play school so I forgive Dr Bear.

Friday Wed 13-Dec-17 08:56:43

Loved that Poll - have forwarded it to a friend who’s a Practice Manager at 2 GP surgeries!

Luckygirl Wed 13-Dec-17 09:20:27

Hysterical.

The Christmas edition of the BMJ when my OH was in practice was always greatly anticipated - there were some brilliant articles. One year there was a series of photos of body piercings that had been encountered - unbelievable and much appreciated by the guests at a party we held!

chrissyh Wed 13-Dec-17 10:09:36

Very funny, though, having seen the cough episode, I admit I thought if only. Just getting through to anybody at the surgery so quickly would be a miracle.

AlieOxon Wed 13-Dec-17 10:15:31

It does happen sometimes!
I was seen a few weeks ago with cellulitis on my leg - started Friday and on Monday I rang my GPs and was seen within an hour and a half at the surgery.

grandMattie Wed 13-Dec-17 10:16:25

Hilarious. Thank you, Poll.
On a slightly more serious note - peeople have very high expectations of their doctor. My theory is that the NHS is "free". Most people would think twice about contacting their dr. if they had to pay - a nominal sum.
Before I get loads of complaints, the same people wouldn't hesitate to buy a cup of coffee from *bucks, or other.

And it can work, when we lived in Jersey, we weren't on benefits so had to pay for dr. visits. the receptionists took cards, cheques [remember those?] and cash, no trouble. We also had to pay full price for a prescription.

Minerva Wed 13-Dec-17 10:31:40

That was so funny. As one who has endured hundreds of episodes of PP for the last seven years with grandchildren, I have had all three thoughts but not the skill to write such an amusing article.

When I was a child though, 75 years ago, our amazing doctor came out to us kids every day when we were off school ill. For free. He even delivered babies at very reduced rates pre NHS.

Minerva Wed 13-Dec-17 10:32:24

.....all these thoughts

annodomini Wed 13-Dec-17 10:42:07

Oh, yes, Minerva, I remember the visits from doctors when I was little. Our old family doctor, who had delivered me, mis-diagnosed my pneumonia when I was six, and my mum asked our minister's wife - also a doctor - for a second opinion and I was in an ambulance in no time! We changed doctors after that - the year the NHS was born. I seemed to have flu every year without fail and saw a lot of him.

PamelaJ1 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:09:44

Also passed it on to my friend, a practice manager.
Hilarious ?

SheilaDenton69 Wed 13-Dec-17 11:14:23

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AlieOxon Wed 13-Dec-17 11:46:08

grandMattie - could I just point out that the prescription cost started out at a nominal fee of 20p.......

Morgana Wed 13-Dec-17 11:58:44

Our G.P. was an alcoholic but a very caring good doctor. I owe my ability to hear to him.

Pollaidh Wed 13-Dec-17 12:17:47

I am so happily surprised that so many of you followed the link and it made you both smile and reminisce. I thought it was an excellent way to get over a serious message.

Cherrytree59 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:01:40

Very amusing article depicting a previous era.

30yrs ago there was always a doctor on call 24/7.

I remember our doctor calling in on his way to the surgery to check on my young children who were both unwell, even though he had seen them as a home visit the previous day.

Peppa programme has to amuse and get a message across in such a short time as each episode only lasts a few minutes.

In Peppa world a few minutes is probably equal to a few hours in out worldgrin

Squiffy Wed 13-Dec-17 13:25:19

Brilliant! Thank you for posting the link. I've passed it on to my friend, who's a GP. Will await her response!

mywaldren Wed 13-Dec-17 13:40:31

How utterly rediculous! Please bring common sense back.

Esspee Wed 13-Dec-17 14:35:46

I am lucky enough to live in Scotland. Not only are prescriptions free but when I need to see a doctor (assuming any doctor in the practice will do) then I get an appointment that day. I have also had great experiences with out of hours care and A&E.
I don't consider the NHS to be free. I paid into it throughout my working life. It is working well in this part of the country.

trendygran Wed 13-Dec-17 16:21:54

Have to laugh. My 3 year old Granddaughter is obsessed with Peppa Pig and both her parents are nurses in the NHS. Will pass on the link .

varian Wed 13-Dec-17 16:28:00

Simon Kelner, writing in the i, is also quite critical of Peppa Pig. He writes:-

"Peppa Pig is the perfect expression of this era of attention deficit disorder, a narcotic, five-minute hit of unchallenging entertainment and, as such, the morality it delivers – subliminally or not – packs a disproportionately powerful punch. That’s why I find the characterisation of male role models disconcerting, and why its depiction of family relationships and should be taken seriously."

Read more at: inews.co.uk/opinion/dont-fooled-pastels-peppa-pig-trying-teach-children-sorts-moral-lessons/

ttps://inews.co.uk/opinion/dont-fooled-pastels-peppa-pig-trying-teach-children-sorts-moral-lessons/

Morgana Wed 13-Dec-17 19:54:26

I love P. Pig but must agree that the male role models are not good. It is the females who run things... Love it when they lie down to laugh!

Marydoll Wed 13-Dec-17 20:30:31

My two year old DGD was at the dentist today. She was as good as gold, as the dentist played a dvd of Peppa at the Dentist, while he checked her teeth.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Dec-17 10:09:49

Peppy pig is sexist (and ageist) in my opinion. Would never choose to watch it.

Marydoll Thu 14-Dec-17 10:39:02

Neither is she a good role model!