Gransnet forums

Health

Why me........??

(66 Posts)
Katek Mon 01-Jan-18 12:47:43

I’m feeling sorry for myself which isn’t actually going to achieve anything, just felt in need of a good moan

My head pretty much exploded last Thursday-couldn’t move without my nose dripping and I could have won Olympic gold for sneezing. Following day the sore throat started and now I have stuffy ears and mega sinus headache especially if I move. I’ve graduated from bed to sofa, nose has dried up but now coughing. I managed a shower but legs are all wobbly now. I am soooo fed up and dh is going stir crazy, he wants us to go out - even for a drive (taking Granny for an airing is how he put it....,?!)

I need to be up and functioning tomorrow evening as we’re taking two dgc to pro Panto at the theatre. Help!

Katek Mon 01-Jan-18 12:52:19

On the plus side I’ve caught up on tv progs-really enjoyed Bedknobs and Broomsticks yesterday!

Baggs Mon 01-Jan-18 12:52:35

Have you got decongestants, cough syrup and painkillers to hand? I find decongestant (either pill or nose spray) helps with sinus headache. Also, sometimes, anti-histamines. I haven't had a cough for years. Sore throats (also haven't had a bad one for years) I treat with hot whisky, lemon and honey toddies.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jan-18 12:54:03

There was a thread posted yesterday about a viral infection that's 'doing the rounds'. It sounds as if you're another one of its victims.

nanaK54 Mon 01-Jan-18 12:55:10

Sorry you are feeling so unwell flowers suggestions from Baggs are all good - hope you are soon fighting fit again

kittylester Mon 01-Jan-18 12:55:54

The rest of us have had it Kate - why should you miss out. tchgrin. It's no fun and lasts a long time - there, bet that cheered you up!

Seriously - hope you feel better soon.

merlotgran Mon 01-Jan-18 12:56:36

You sound just like me, Katek. DD s cooking a late lunch today so I have to get my act into gear but my legs are wobbly.

Is this the Aussie 'flu or is that still to come?

Katek Mon 01-Jan-18 12:58:05

Thanks for suggestions Baggs-unfortunately I can’t take decongestants because of asthma medications but antihistamine might help. Never thought of that. This is first sore throat I’ve had in donkey’s years, decades in fact, so some soothing honey and lemon sounds good. Sans whisky I’m afraid as I don’t drink, but if this continues I may be driven to it!!

Katek Mon 01-Jan-18 13:03:22

Lol kitty! I knew GN would cheer me up! You’ve all been very generous in sharing your bugs with me, the spirit of Christmas isn’t dead here! Take it easy Merlot, I sat in a corner of the sofa under a throw at Dd’s on Thursday with a box of Kleenex balm tissues before I was forced to go home. I wasn’t very popular.

Greyduster Mon 01-Jan-18 13:53:00

Get some fresh ginger, grate it, infuse it in boiling water for five minutes or so, strain into a mug and then stir in some honey. Ginger has antibacterial properties and it always seems to do the job for DH and I. I hope you get better soon - it is no fun! Chicken broth is good too.

SueDonim Mon 01-Jan-18 15:21:39

It does sound as though you've the same bug as those of us on the viral infection thread! I'm on Day Eleven now. hmm

I found an antihistamine very effective as stopping the nasal symptoms (I took Benedryl) and I also took doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time, which helped. Hot honey and lemon was as good as the cough medicine the chemist sold me, and a lot cheaper.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jane10 Mon 01-Jan-18 15:45:58

It's really doing the rounds near us too. There's nothing for it but to take it easy. Stay in even temperatures and sip soothing hot drinks. Don't be tempted to go out tomorrow - you risk prolonging things. Get someone else to substitute!

Katek Tue 02-Jan-18 12:13:22

That ended well......not! Ended up having to call NHS24 last night and am now on 5 day course of steroids. Oxygen sats had dropped significantly even with nebuliser treatment so no alternative. I hate taking these meds-play havoc with all sorts of things like sleeping, innards etc. Hey ho, just part of life’s rich tapestry-onward and upward!

Jane10 Tue 02-Jan-18 13:14:49

Sorry to hear that Katek. Hope you feel much better soon.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Jan-18 13:43:38

Happy to know i am not the only unlucky One. Have taken to my bed, feeling awful. Did not sleep at all last night, dozed a little from 6 am. Dgc supposed to stay over today and tomorrow. Now Cancelled.

Bathsheba Tue 02-Jan-18 16:30:50

This bug is certainly doing the rounds. Mine started around Christmas Eve and is showing no signs of letting up. The coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath is really getting to me now. My ribs ache from all the coughing and nose-blowing. I keep thinking I've turned a corner, but then have another spectacular coughing fit, leaving me exhausted and headachy. Haven't felt this bad for a long time and I'm really fed up with it!

harrysgran Wed 03-Jan-18 09:36:18

To get a better nights sleep try rubbing vicks all over the soles of your feet then pop on a pair of socks

MinniesMum Wed 03-Jan-18 09:40:29

DH got it first and it lasted for 8 weeks. I got it a week later and it rumbled on for 6 weeks but I had two lots of antibiotics and prednisolone. Being asthmatic I get chest infections at the drop of a hat.
It does go eventually but if the coughing gets bad and you are asthmatic, please get to the GP soonest.

Lynnm4276 Wed 03-Jan-18 09:41:40

Oh dear. Sounds like the bug I had before Christmas- ended up with two rounds of antibiotics- first one for sinusitis and the second one for the chest infection. I absolutely hate taking antibiotics but I have to say they did clear it eventually. Keep warm, stay home and avoid anything strenuous- it will end!!! Hope you feel better soon. X

Kathcan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 09:51:17

Listen to me Kate'k, it's all coming your way, you have a bout of the dreaded lurgy it'll be gone soon. You've got a loving hubby trying to cheer you up and wonderful night with DGC, a few sniffles ain't going to stop you surely, get a grip, have a fab night and send those blues flying. ??

keffie Wed 03-Jan-18 10:07:13

The same virus knocked me out for the whole of November. I was in bed for most of it, which I still haven't gotten over completely. The cough still takes the wind out of my sails at least once a day even though the rest of the symptoms have gone!

It's a deep cough that comes right from the bottom of the belly, taking my breath away as I feel like I can't breath. The cough lasts for what feels like a minute.

Get better soon however to cheer you up don't expect to be fully clear of it for a while yet!

GabriellaG Wed 03-Jan-18 10:08:13

I'm not one for pills and frankly think that colds and coughs take just as long to disappear whether or not you take any remedies BUT, on the night before Christmas Eve I had the first headache of my entire life...right behind my eyes,) followed by a dry cough and violent sneezing. Friend bought pelargonium root tablets from Holland & Barrett for me (doc says they're stronger/more effective than anything he can prescribe) They worked right away. One a day. Read about it. I hope you are well enough to enjoy the day out. smileflowers

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 03-Jan-18 10:25:27

You have my sympathy and like many posters here I've had it too. I'm on my 3rd week now so I'm hoping there's just one more week of suffering to go. If it's the Aussie flu it's just been mentioned on R2 by Ken Bruce. On the bright side we'll build up resistance and won't get this particular strain again.
I've a funeral on Friday so I'll take lots of cough sweets with me, the crematorium is quite stuffy at the best of times and once you get that tickle at the back of your throat . . .

annifrance Wed 03-Jan-18 10:26:09

Do it the French way. Get a load of eucalyptus, cinnamon, and camphor drops. Don't inhale it, stick a couple of drops of each on honey and swallow it. It will take the top of your head but won't half sort the sniffles etc.

ajanela Wed 03-Jan-18 10:29:02

Can't someone else take your place? Is it fair to go to a theatre, an enclosed place, and infect others with this awful virus some of whom maybe in the at risk group of elderly and young children. I would not want you sitting next to my husband for 2 hours plus as he has both respiratory and heart conditions and he would find it difficult to fight such a virus and might end up in hospital or worse.