Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(129 Posts)
Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 10:56:59

I have just had my 4th colonoscopy. Extensive family history of bowel cancer which necessitates regular scopes. My 3rd three years ago was stopped due to pain from diverticulae. I had a CT scan instead.
Now I have moved to a new area to be nearer family and undergone the 4th. It was indescribably painful even with lots of painkillerand I am so fearful of next time that I asked about having it under GA. I am told this would be very unlikely. I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and can offer any advice. I got the all clear this time which is great news but I am already thinking about next time confused

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 20:40:43

That takes 'cutting corners' to a whole new level! grin

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 20:42:28

??

Beau Tue 16-Jan-18 21:33:44

Levels of sedation do vary even between private hospitals - my daughter is almost unconscious for hers but I was in agony for mine because my doctor preferred to use minimal sedation. My impatient friend had hers with no sedation or pain relief on the NHS - when she found out how much longer she would have to wait for the sedation after the long wait she had already sat through, she said she had no more time and to just go ahead - she told me it didn't hurt her that much. My daughter's doctor told her it's a variant of rohypnol (sp?), the so called 'date rape' drug that they use because people find colonoscopy so undignified and it wipes out most of the memory of the procedure - I don't know if that's still the case as that was over 10 years ago.

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 21:44:43

Oops I didnt want to scare anybody! For me, as I have got older, it has become more difficult to get through and round the corners. My first scope at 36 was fine, as were my second and third routine scopes. The problem is that i have now developed adhesions and diverticulitis. I need a discussion with my GP who is very sympathetic to my situation as he knows Im no wimp. For me, to get peace of mind, i need to have them every few years due to strong family history, grandmother, mother and cousin. I am grateful to be offered the test but just want to try to lessen the pain.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 21:47:15

I think I would want to be sedated to the point where I didn't know a thing. It can be done, I'm sure.

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 21:49:03

Hi Beau
I was told the drug is like the date rape one you mention. It erases the memory. However I only had the pain killer drug and not the sedative as well but Im not sure why. Maybe I couldnt have high dose painkiller as well as the sedative. We are all different and to reassure people, the test is a tad undignified but well worth it.

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 21:51:18

Hi Miss Adventure, this is my query. Why wont they put me out completely? I understand the risks to GA but it would only be for a short time. Chat to my GP for clarification. If I have to pay then I will do.

kezia Tue 16-Jan-18 22:17:01

I'm booked to have a gastroscopy a week on Saturday, exactly two years after having one which was completely horrid. Last time I had light sedation but remember and felt everything. By GP has referred me under the two week rule so I know she has concerns. I talked about my previous experience and she said that she'd request a GA however the clinic have said that they reserve those for children. I'm going back to discuss this my GP, they have offered me more sedation and I'm hoping that will be enough.
I had a colonoscopy about 20 years ago and that was brilliant - no pain, no memories :-)

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 22:20:58

I'm going to have a Google and see whats what.

Nansypansy Tue 16-Jan-18 22:33:52

I had this done last year as I have lynch syndrome. It was awful and so uncomfortable and painful as he couldn’t get round corners so he had to stop. A few weeks later I had a CT scan instead. The prep day before was horrendous too. I’m not going through it again.

jacq10 Tue 16-Jan-18 22:44:11

I've had it done many times - mainly when I was younger and suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and recently when it showed up a cyst which was non-cancerous but needed removed. I regard it like childbirth pain and visits to the dentist many years ago - necessary but soon forgotten (until the next time!!).

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 22:48:51

Ok well I've been googling, and it can be done under a general, but that is very much skimmed over in everything I've read..

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 22:55:30

Nansypansy, i too had it done by CT scan which was great. However not all the colon can be seen during the scan and if polyps are found, they cant be removed at the same time. The prep is unpleasant but in comparison to my last scope it was a breeze !!

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 22:58:25

MissAdventure, thanks for your post. Its reassuring to know it can be done under a GA but I take your point its been skimmed over. Someone earlier suggested that under GA it would be difficult to change body position. I understand that.

Morgana Tue 16-Jan-18 22:59:33

Big danger of a perforated bowel with a general. Do be careful.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 23:09:43

Just to cheer you all up, I know somebody who got a perforated bowel under light sedation.

giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 10:01:08

I did mine on the Italian national health: some drops of valium then lay on the operating bed for ten minutes with soft background music. I swear I didn't feel a thing. The same treatment (and the same doctor) when I had a gastro thingy done. I swear I actually dropped off as he was putting the tube down my throat. Italy has a lot of problems but excellent doctors!

harrigran Wed 17-Jan-18 19:02:05

Drugs used for sedation are Midazolam and Fentanyl but the dosage is minimal so they can get you up on your trotters and out of the endoscopy unit quickly. I don't have private health care, I just paid to have the procedure done in a private hospital.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jan-18 19:22:42

I have had this twice with neither pain relief no sedation - no pain, no problem.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jan-18 19:22:53

nor

GrandmaMoira Wed 17-Jan-18 19:39:18

I had mine done at my local hospital where they do not offer sedation. It was unpleasant but not really painful. They expect you to self-administer an enema at home which I was quite unable to do and had to come in and get it done by the nurse.
The next nearest hospital provides sedation as standard and gives the liquid to take the day before which, whilst not pleasant, is easier.

MargaretX Wed 17-Jan-18 22:17:16

I have had one three times- in Germany every 10 years is considered for those with no problems. I like to be sedated
( Vaium I think) and have never felt any pain. It depends on the consulant how he manages going round corners. Ours is very good.
DH stayed awake during his and watched it all on the screen.
Its not nice the enema but they've improved over the years and the last one was over quickly and painlessly and enabled a good nights sleep before the examination.
We don't need to go into hospital. Specilists here have their own practice and we are only 10 minutes away by car.

Blue45Sapphire Fri 19-Jan-18 14:44:17

On gosh, I am worried now as they have just asked me to do the bowel screening test again and if this one comes back unclear then it's colonoscopy for me....

JackyB Fri 19-Jan-18 15:05:54

I had one at the beginning of last year. No problems with GA which I willingly accepted. But then again they are usually about 10 years behind here in Germany with the latest developments and scares.

Lazigirl Fri 19-Jan-18 16:05:53

This posting has really put me off having the damn thing done, especially the perforation risk, but there are some reassuring ones too, thank you Luckygirl and others. I suppose you have to weigh up the risks & discomfort of having it done or refusing and having perhaps an undiagnosed cancer or treatable disease. Hey ho.