Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(129 Posts)
Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 10:56:59

I have just had my 4th colonoscopy. Extensive family history of bowel cancer which necessitates regular scopes. My 3rd three years ago was stopped due to pain from diverticulae. I had a CT scan instead.
Now I have moved to a new area to be nearer family and undergone the 4th. It was indescribably painful even with lots of painkillerand I am so fearful of next time that I asked about having it under GA. I am told this would be very unlikely. I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and can offer any advice. I got the all clear this time which is great news but I am already thinking about next time confused

harrigran Sun 21-Oct-18 09:59:25

I can't find my diet sheet for the prep but if I remember correctly no fats were allowed because they increase the release of bile which makes it difficult for the camera.

annep Sun 21-Oct-18 10:13:17

I think excluding fibre is part of it.

LullyDully Sun 21-Oct-18 10:55:32

I found it interesting. You don't feel anything much and can watch on screen. Mild sedation not enough to knock you out.. The worst bit was the gloop I had to drink....yuk. It takes the appetite away so not much thought of food needed. The knickers were the funniest bit!

My son has been through the mill with bowel cancer, so we thought it was the least we could do to rule out genetic links.