Gransnet forums

Health

How is it possible for a twelve year old bunion scar to infect?

(8 Posts)
giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 09:52:46

Ten days ago, one of the suture "dots" on my bunion scar flared up and filled with pus. I was laid up at the time with a virus so had not been walking on it at all - nor could I go to my doctor. Two days ago, the by-now large, pus-filled blister broke and Yesterday my doctor saw it. She has put me on antibiotics for five days and (very expensive) disinfectant cream and told me to wear a silicon shell over my joint. She declares that such a thing is quite possible and may well happen again. I am 72. Has anyone else had something similar happen? I feel really cheated as my bunion is also growing back and my big toe has definitely shrunk down. My op was before the days of laser treatment.

Auntieflo Wed 17-Jan-18 12:36:31

Guilia poor you, sounds nasty. I didn't realise that a bunion could grow back. Luckily I have never had a bunion, but late last year noticed a boney lump on the outside edge of my foot, lower down from my little toe. I googled " bunion on wrong side of foot" and think that I now have a bunionette. It doesn't hurt, but the skin gets a bit red if I wear shoes that are tight-ish over the bump.

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jan-18 12:39:48

A couple of years ago I pulled out an undissolved stitch from my gallstone surgery which was done in 1988! It had been siting there all that time - I found a scratchy thing on the scar and pulled it and to my amazement a long stitch came out!

Luckygirl Wed 17-Jan-18 12:40:05

or sitting even!

giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 14:27:17

Poor Luckygirl! What a shock! Auntieflo Have never heard of a bunionette! We live and learn, don't we:

giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 14:28:41

Thinks: I thought that stitches were supposed to dissolve.

humptydumpty Wed 17-Jan-18 15:02:57

I have very unsightly bunions on both feet sad When I discussed having them removed with my GP, he told me that it's very common for bunions to grow back, which has put me off pursuing the op...

giulia Wed 17-Jan-18 15:15:26

humptydumpty Apparently, with the new laser ops (I know somebody who has had this), the regrowth does not occur, nor the toe shrinking. Too late for me now though.