Gransnet forums

Health

Dry eyes and blepharitis

(25 Posts)
Seaside22 Fri 26-Jan-18 09:47:29

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with both these things and been prescribed antibiotics and two lots of dry eye cream and drops, been using them three days now, with no improvement, in fact it's slightly worse.Anybody else had the same .

GrandmaMoira Fri 26-Jan-18 09:53:18

I had it several times when I was young so feel for you. I'm afraid I can't remember how long it took to clear up.

midgey Fri 26-Jan-18 10:57:22

My husband had this, he was told to use a really warm/hot wet flannel and just soak his eyes carefully as well as using the drops and ointment in his case. He said the flannel bit was very comforting.

tinaf1 Fri 26-Jan-18 15:03:58

I have had this and was advised to clean my eyelids with cotton wool pad soaked in hot water and then clean them again with coot on bud also soaked in hot water they did improve. Last visit to opticians she recommended sone eye pads which have tea tree oil on them although they were expensive

Seaside22 Fri 26-Jan-18 15:41:57

Is the flannel soaking to help with the swelling or just to ease them, she didn't mention it.

mollie Fri 26-Jan-18 15:46:24

I had a first ever bout of this at Christmas and bought some stuff over the counter at Boots. They recommended some spray and some wipes which did the trick. I could see an improvement within three days, cleared up within a week.

CassieJ Fri 26-Jan-18 16:40:20

My son gets this. We were advised to buy a warming eye mask ( you heat it in the microwave), this really helps. I would recommend getting one of these.

Newquay Fri 26-Jan-18 16:43:48

I use to have blepharitis a lot as a child and I recall how miserable it was. I agree with cleaning base of eye lashes as described. It certainly made t feel better. As an adult I make sure I regularly clean eyelashes with cotton wool ball (new one for each eye) t stop infection starting.

Seaside22 Fri 26-Jan-18 16:44:50

Thank you everyone, some good ideas it's a nuisance, never had it before, i'll let you know how I get on.

janeainsworth Fri 26-Jan-18 16:50:30

I had this for years, the standard advice of bathing with Johnson’s baby shampoo didn’t help, but it eventually cleared up after I had surgery for a detached retina. I was given strong antibiotic drops (not the usual chloramphenicol) but also as others have said, had to bathe eyes with cotton pads soaked in warm/hot water. Not sure which of these helped the blepharitis.
Since then I’ve found Simple brand oil-free eye make up remover not only removes eye make up effectively but seems very soothing too.

Greyduster Fri 26-Jan-18 16:58:03

DH suffers from intermittent bouts of scleritis in one if his eyes. He was told to do the warm flannel thing, but he was also told to take ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, and has to use corticosteroidal eye drops to reduce the inflammation.

Tegan2 Fri 26-Jan-18 17:04:30

There is a cleanser called Blephasol which I bought from Boots to clean my eyes thoroughly, although I do find it stings a bit. Was horrified when my doctor told me I could never wear make up again shock but, after a few months my eyes cleared up. I started to be very careful about throwing make up away after a few weeks, but I'm afraid I've slipped into bad habits. I, too, find Simple the best cleanser.

DanniRae Fri 26-Jan-18 17:19:49

I have had dry eyes for quite a few years and there is no cure. Apparently it is caused by lubricant that moistens the eyes clogging up. The hot flannel/heated pad procedure helps to melt this. Cleansing the roots of the eye lashes with cotton wool pads and hot water/special cleanser clears up the blepharitis. I bought the special cleanser for this from Boots. I got the heated eye pad from Amazon but I believe opticians sell them too. I have never got on with ointment but find eye drops very useful - again from Boots. There are many different types and you will need to find the best one for you by trial and error. However, I find Systane Ultra very good. I really hope this info is useful to you. There is, as you can imagine, lots of info online too. I wish you luck in getting to grips with this problem!! Best Wishes, Danni x

Seaside22 Fri 26-Jan-18 18:09:49

Hi, I've been looking for a new cleanser and moisturizer on line this morning as my current one some how manages to get into my eyes even if I'm careful, makes them sting. and water like crazy.I'd decided to try the simple range, so thank you for the recommendations.I have chloramphenicol eye drops, hyabok eye drops and xailin ointment to use at night, they were prescribed by a dr in hospital eye dept on Tuesday, but no improvement yet.I'll try the hot flannel next.Thanks again .

LizH13 Fri 26-Jan-18 19:17:59

When I have a flare up I find Lacrilube best for my dry eye condition, non of the others ease it at all, although it does cause blurring initially. I've also used Blephasol for blepharitis.

Tegan2 Fri 26-Jan-18 19:19:42

Don't get it mixed up with superglue, though, which is what someone did a while back [similar tubes!] shock...

lemongrove Fri 26-Jan-18 21:23:32

I get this from time to time, more regularly nowadays.
Heated flannel and good eyecare regime work well also goldeneye ointment and drops. I can only wear any eyemake up now for special occasions.

NanaMacGeek Sat 27-Jan-18 22:03:36

The hot flannel is used to melt and free the crust that builds up in the tear ducts overnight, blocking them (my optician also told me to gently massage my warm eyelids afterwards). I used to bathe my eyes every morning, followed by cleaning with Blephaclean/Blephasol. A really powerful magnifying mirror helps me to see that the bases of my lashes are really clean.

At night, I take off my makeup very thoroughly using Simple Micellar Water - I have no idea what's in it, OH swears it's just tap water, but I've found it to be inexpensive and effective. Eye drops during the day helped too, some more than others. I was told to ensure that I used eye drops that are free from preservatives as they would be needed long term. I also keep Chloramphenicol drops in the fridge for bad infections.

Now I just use the wipes for blepharitis and follow the careful cleansing routine at night but also take prescribed tablets for a diagnosed autoimmune condition that causes dryness in eyes and mouth among other things. If your eyes remain painfully dry, you could ask to be referred, that's the route I went down. Hopefully, your eyes will gradually improve without the need for further intervention.

Seaside22 Sun 28-Jan-18 12:44:11

Hi Nana thank you for your post.Do you mind me asking what the autoimmune condition is that you have, I also suffer from burning mouth syndrome, and was wondering if there might be a link .

NanaMacGeek Sun 28-Jan-18 13:15:27

Seaside22, I have sent you a Private Message.

Seaside22 Sun 28-Jan-18 13:46:24

Thank you.I have replied.

Nandalot Sun 28-Jan-18 14:32:37

My husband has suffered from both these for years but gets relief from following the regime set out by others, cleaning eyelashes with cotton buds and baby shampoo and hot flannels twice a day. Once bought microwaveable eye mask from optician to replace flannels but found this aggravated the condition.

Seaside22 Fri 23-Feb-18 18:03:06

Just an update, been back to the hospital today turns out it's not blepharitis after all, but the herpes virus, the same one that causes cold sores.Hopefully now I'm on the correct treatment.

Numbat Fri 30-Nov-18 05:58:51

I suffered of blepharitis for 2 years without getting any real help until I went to see a Therapist who treated me with bioresonance Therapy, after one session, the bacteria was neutralized and its been now 2 years of no more trouble with my eyes.

Patsy70 Mon 03-Dec-18 17:27:22

I've had cataract surgery in one eye and now been diagnosed with glaucoma in the other eye, and have been prescribed Lumigan - one drop in each eye at night. I've also been prescribed Hylo-Forte for dry eyes, but haven't really noticed any improvement after using them for 4 weeks.