Gransnet forums

Health

Smoking

(149 Posts)
farview Mon 12-Feb-18 21:10:58

Well am still really really struggling with stopping smoking!! Tips please(no lectures!confused) keep doing a day,..really hard..buy a pack...feel bad/guilty..can't afford it...know all the reasons why...just so struggling!!!

timetogo2016 Thu 06-May-21 09:35:24

I have never smoked,but i think this is the worst time to stop/start changing habits.
We are mostly all suffering due to covid restrictions so personally i would wait till some sort of normality comes back for us.

Shinamae Wed 05-May-21 19:23:20

After smoking for nearly 40 years I managed to give up about 10 years ago. I’ve been in recovery from alcoholism for about 30 years but giving up the cigarettes was far harder for me than giving up the booze. In the end I did it with Nicorette gum but I was addicted to that for literally years, eventually I switched to normal gum which I still use now.I am quite fortunate in that I don’t drink as with many people cigarettes and Alcohol tend to go together so I don’t have that temptation.. and the price of cigarettes now, really really expensive but if I was still smoking I would find a way to afford them...

Rezzonit Mon 12-Apr-21 09:54:33

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Rezzonit Sat 20-Mar-21 16:37:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Rezzonit Sat 20-Mar-21 16:36:34

Patsy70 Sat 02-Feb-19 17:07:53

Smoking kills and that is a fact! What more encouragement do you need to give up? Sorry to sound harsh, but I smoked about 20/day for about 15 years and stopped 36 years ago, when I was feeling poorly, plus the fact that the price of cigarettes had increased. It was one of the best decision I've made. You need discipline and to change your routine. I found it much easier than I'd anticipated. Good luck! (If all else fails, I understand that hypnotherapy is effective.)

mcem Sat 02-Feb-19 16:19:07

Think of how much better you'll feel when people in shops or queues don't move away from you because of the tobacco stench you inevitably carry around with you.
Maybe you can't smell it but everyone else can!

wot Sat 02-Feb-19 15:52:09

I felt ill on three months of Champix (very nauseous) but stuck with it as they do work!

EvieQ Sat 02-Feb-19 14:55:07

My husband and I both gave up Dec 2017 he with the help of champix, I started on the tablets but felt ill! And disorientated,so decided on willpower alone, it was hard, but every day that passed was an achievement after smoking for 40 years, be it lightly but as a past nurse I know it's not how many you smoke, but how long! It is a bereavement and at times I wanted to smoke, but fortunately now if I smell ciggarettes it makes me feel nauseous and I would be actually frightened of smoking now, keep it up and good luck.

Framilode Thu 31-Jan-19 16:21:32

I have been a heavy smoker all my adult life. Tried many times to stop - always failed - UNTIL 2 years ago when I tried vaping. It was awful for the first 2 days and after that fine. No, its not a cigarette but honestly persevere with that. It is fine and more importantly works. I haven't smoked for 2 years. I had hardly any withdrawal symptoms either.

wot Thu 31-Jan-19 16:13:31

Champix tablets from the doctor and vape with menthol worked for me. I haven't smoked for two years now.

Tinco Thu 31-Jan-19 14:50:58

I've managed to give up smoking by using e-cigs... Actually, many people know that it really helps for those who struggle to give up! I saved myself money and health by refusing tobacco... My son told me I could buy it online when I was in despair. This is the website I use: www.mygadget.us/. Thank god my grandsons can't feel that awful cigarette smell!

silverlining48 Fri 23-Feb-18 14:25:59

Well done farview and others who are giving up the cigs. its an expensive habit, both health and cost. Keep going, you know it makes sense.

wot Fri 23-Feb-18 10:59:27

Farview, well done! Try to just Vale and once you've stopped the cigs, you'll begin to notice the horrible pong of smokers and be encouraged by an that! I found menthol Vape is the most effective.

glammanana Fri 23-Feb-18 09:45:43

Just something I read in a book (don't know which one) but if you have a small piece of string and tie it in a knot then wait 10 seconds and untie the knot the feeling of wanting a cigarette will have passed its all to do with your fingers being idol, if it works or not I just don't know,just wanted to pass the information on.

farview Fri 23-Feb-18 09:34:01

Update!! am now half vaping,on a daily reduction with the cigarettes.. feeling more positive,had a lot of help off lots of you,thank you ?

f77ms Tue 20-Feb-18 19:36:50

I gave up with vaping . After the first week it is easy if you stick to the vape and DON`T buy ciggies , it is just a question of getting used to it . Ecigs are about to be available from your GP within the next year because they are the best substitute and have the most success also The World health organisation have deemed them 95% safer than cigarettes .

phoenix Tue 20-Feb-18 19:25:12

Farview you MUST just chuck the cigs, or at least don't buy any more once that packet is empty.

Yes, the vape isn't the same as a cig, but it will deliver nicotine and help with the oral aspect that patches don't.

farview Tue 20-Feb-18 19:16:41

Alan.not Alarm stupid phone..

farview Tue 20-Feb-18 19:16:01

Oh thanksQuietdragon Have read Alarm. Carr twice...didn't work?am vaping now and few cigs,trying but very uphill struggle...not a weak willed person apart from cigs..aaagh

Quietdragon Tue 20-Feb-18 16:49:47

I smoked from the ages 14 to 49 and was smoking 60 cigarettes a day.
I read Allen Carr and went on to vaping and that was two years ago.
I have a download of Allen Carr for the PC if you want it Farview.
I was spending £21 a day and now spend £8 every two weeks.I have found the local vape shop very helpful in working out what device was best for me.I use nicotine in tobacco flavour vape juice but have been reducing it slowly-good luck! smile

Atqui Sat 17-Feb-18 18:38:33

Alan Carr workshop ( not the book) worked for husband after trying various other ways. Whatever you do WHEN you give up, don't think you can just have the odd smoke now and again. Never touch another one. Good luck

Grannyknot Sat 17-Feb-18 18:30:39

I've never smoked so perhaps I should just shut up smile

However I've dealt with a husband who gave up smoking, so I do have some thoughts: if you're having cravings on the patches, you're not on a high enough dose/strong enough patch. Also employ distraction techniques for the cravings e.g. a tapping sequence, cravings pass.

My husband gave up when he had a heart attack and his furred up arteries were blamed on the ciggies. I will never forget the young female doctor who took his history at midnight saying to him rather sharply "Do you want to live?! I suggest you don't ever smoke again". He didn't.

jamsidedown Sat 17-Feb-18 17:55:53

Another shout for Allen Carr,s book. I had smoked for 25 years, given up innumerable times, but somehow this just ‘clicked’ for me and I have never wanted to smoke again, no cravings, no bad temper, nothing. I guess it’s about finding what works for you. Good luck.

GrandmaMoira Sat 17-Feb-18 17:30:23

Farview - I used chewing gum (ordinary type not Nicorette) for the first few months. The first few days would have been impossible without. Initially I also went for walks as could not sit still. I ate more than usual and had a couple of glasses of wine in the evening. Keeping busy and indulging yourself just takes the edge off it.
The first week or so is the worst. After that, don't start again or you'll have to go through that stage again.