Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone on amitriptyline

(50 Posts)
Floradora9 Sat 03-Mar-18 10:04:27

I was prescribed this drug , 10mg , for pain many years ago . I have continued to take it for years and when asked by my GP I came clean and said I liked it because I always got a good night's sleep with it . He said fair enough better than sleeping pills. However I have read so much since about the long term effects, like increased risk of dementia , that I have stopped taking it but boy do I miss it. I have cut out caffeine completely and drink chamomile tea but wake far too early in the morning. I take so many other medications that I am reluctant to try any over the counter remedies . I have been reading at 1 am getting up then going back to bed . It is very tempting to just risk going back on the pills.

Baggs Sun 18-Mar-18 18:53:03

Do people with dementia know they have dementia? I thought most didn't.

I'm just asking because if one was unaware of one's dementia, it might be preferable to chronic pain. Constant pain can be very debilitating.

janeainsworth Sun 18-Mar-18 19:08:10

Some people do have insight into their condition Baggs.
My mum had vascular dementia and her realisation that she had lost most of her faculties seemed to distress her more than the actiual loss of them, if you see what I mean. She would frequently say she 'hated being like this'.
It was odd in some ways. She couldn't remember which order to put her clothes on, or whether she'd cleaned her teeth, but could still on occasion supply the answers to the Daily Telegraph crossword.

jura2 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:07:48

oh yes they do- during that initial period at least- which can last from months to years- with very lucid interludes and the terrible realisation that it is happening to them.

We have a truly confused and misspelt, gramatically incorrect letter from my MIL, asking for help. I've seen it in lovely neighbours, and curently with my sil in Switzerland. Just so sad and must be terrifying for them.

Tegan2 Mon 19-Mar-18 23:53:18

My cousin is in a nursing home. Her short term memory is totally gone but she still remembers the past very well. Her husband is with her, but is in a much worse state. Her son told me she spends most of her time in her room [when I saw her last time she was in a communal room]. She still has her black sense of humour etc and he says there is no one there she can relate to. I find it so sad. On the day that they moved to the nursing home, they sat on their bed saying 'why are you doing this to us', even though they were no longer capable of looking after themselves. I find it so sad sad. When I saw her last year she laughed at me for not having read any Jane Austen...

Fennel Tue 20-Mar-18 09:18:36

Why this apparent epidemic of dementia these days? I'm sure it wasn' like this 10, 20 years ago. And especially before that.
Is it really due to taking meds like amitriptyline?
Or are there other causes?

janeainsworth Tue 20-Mar-18 09:31:24

There isn’t an epidemic fennel.

Dementia rates are actually falling.
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-38026696

MawBroon Tue 20-Mar-18 10:01:06

Are we just being more aware of it then? A combination of our age (and that of friends’) and earlier and more specific diagnosis?

janeainsworth Tue 20-Mar-18 10:53:39

That maw and the increased number of older people means there is a bigger total number of old people with dementia.
But the actual incidence, eg the number per 1000 of the population, is falling.

Tegan2 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:11:29

That's reassuring; it's the thing I dread more than anything else sad...

Baggs Tue 20-Mar-18 11:38:43

So amitriptylline use is probably not causing much dementia? Prescriptions for amitriptylline have probably increased whereas the incidence of dementia has not.

I wasn't going to worry anyhow. Just because a side effect is listed as possible doesn't mean very much. It's more the drug producer covering themselves from any unpredicted eventuality than a reason why users should worry.

Teacheranne Tue 20-Mar-18 11:43:25

I have been on 50mg of amitriptylin for about four months for knee pain due to arthritis. I have not noticed any side effects but neither has it reduced the pain! I am off to the doctors tomorrow to ask for different pain relief as I am f ed up with being in agony with every step I take. I need to lose weight which I know will help with the pain but cannot do any exercise - catch 22! I can't even go swimming because I cannot walk from the car park to the changing rooms.

Tegan2 Tue 20-Mar-18 12:44:22

Teacheranne; my local council gym has several machines that can exercise you without using the knees [they are even wheelchair friendly]. Your GP might be able to arrange for you to join a local gym for free.

goose1964 Wed 21-Mar-18 10:45:09

I take it for combined pain relief and to help me sleep. You're on a low dose probably reduce risk compare to me

Nandalot Wed 21-Mar-18 11:54:50

I take a low dose for the prevention of migraine. Thank you for the alert, Flora and the link. I shall have to think about stopping as it appears that long term use of a low dose is as bad as a high dose.

Ukulele28 Mon 02-Apr-18 18:54:36

I've been taking 50mg amitriptyline for about 2 months for Trigeminal Neuralgia pain. It has helped, but I experience very dry mouth and throat. As I take it during the evening it definitely helps me sleep but I do feel a bit fuzzy headed on waking. Has anyone noticed an increase in their appetite while taking it?

Chelsea4444 Mon 07-Dec-20 22:06:19

I was prescribed Amitriptyline today 10mg at night, I have right bundle branch block and normal heart tests, read on leaflet that it can effect the electrical part of the heart, anyone know anything about this ????

growstuff Tue 08-Dec-20 14:32:25

Chelsea4444

I was prescribed Amitriptyline today 10mg at night, I have right bundle branch block and normal heart tests, read on leaflet that it can effect the electrical part of the heart, anyone know anything about this ????

No, I don't know anything about your specific heart problems. The GP insisted I had an ECG before he prescribed Amitryptiline. I think you would be justified in asking the GP if you should have one or at least tell him/her of your concerns.

MrsTrellis1 Wed 08-Dec-21 10:56:42

I have been taking amitripylene for 10 years for arthritis pain. About 6 months ago I started experiencing aching arms and thighs, had some blood tests and was vitamin D deficient. I took massive doses of this and my D levels improved. But my thighs got worse and feel like lead. Because of Covid it is nigh on impossible to see a doctor in the UK so we are pretty much left to rot while Covid gets all the attention. I wondered if Amitrip could be causing the problem so looked up the side effects of it and found that there were so many that it could be the drug that is causing my symptoms so I am not going to take it any more and did not take it last night and tossed and turned and found it hard to sleep. I am going to persevere and see if my thighs and general health improve.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Dec-21 11:05:36

MrsTrellis (I love your name!) please persevere with your GP, it might be easier to get an appointment than you think.
I’m not sure if stopping your medication after taking it for so long is a good idea. I hope that you get some help soon thanks

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Dec-21 11:15:14

My GP wanted to prescribe Amitriptylene for my insomnia problems (sleep disturbances are common with ME/CFS). I looked at the side effects and didn't want to take it.

I am coping with my insomnia problems by using Valerian Plus drops (by Nutrivital) together with 1 x Phenergan 25mg (can be bought over the counter), and occasionally instead I take 1 Zopiclone (a prescribed sleeping pill) maybe once a week when I know I've got to get a very good night.

This is working well for me.

tickingbird Wed 08-Dec-21 11:34:28

I have 10mg Amitriptyline to help me sleep and only to take occasionally, not every night. I sleep very heavy if I take 10mg so cut them in half and they still work. I’m not going to worry about side effects because that in itself will stop me drifting off so will carry on and only take when I really have to.

H1954 Wed 08-Dec-21 11:41:39

I was prescribed it for neuropathic pain but it made my heart race so I refused to take it any longer. A cardio-respiratory Consultant has since advised me that I should not have been prescribed it in the first place. It's a shame the GP didn't refer to the Formulary like they're supposed to do when prescribing medication.

Whiff Wed 08-Dec-21 16:42:00

I have been taking 10mg Amitriptyline twice a day for 30+ years for nerve pain . I was found to have been born with a heart defect last year at the age of 62 . September diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial fibrillation. My cardiologist is happy for me to continue with the Amitriptyline as it helps me with pain relief. I take Flecainide 50mg twice a day and Apixaban 5mg twice a day.

Amitriptyline is like any drug it helps some people but not others.

4 years ago after taking Sodium Valporate and Carbamazipine for decades they gave me jaundice.

But they help some people. If you need help with your tablets keep on phoning your GP practice or if they do an E consult fill that in.

Bea65 Wed 08-Dec-21 19:06:28

I've taken this med for some years and has helped me to sleep and lessened trips to the 'loo' so that is of benefit to me with prolapse and along with my OA and nerve pain from mild stroke 10yrs ago..yes side effects are the cons of all meds but the pros outweigh it for me at the moment...