Gransnet forums

Health

Pain relief for osteoarthritis in knees

(93 Posts)
Teacheranne Tue 20-Mar-18 11:53:46

Does anyone have suggestions for effective pain relief for arthritic knees please?

I have been on various painkillers (paracetamol, naproxen, codeine, tramodol, injections, physio, acupuncture, reflexology and now amitriptylin) but nothing seems to help. I find it very difficult to walk even short distances so food shopping is a nightmare, i struggle even to shop at a small supermarket attached to a petrol station! I am unable to exercise which I need to do to lose weight as I know that will help. I was told three years ago that X-rays of my knees indicate that both are bad enough for knee replacement surgery but at 58 I was too young!

I am going to my doctor tomorrow to ask her for different pain relief which I think will mean going to opiate varieties which I am reluctant to use but I guess for a short time will be worth it to be pain free.

jura2 Fri 23-Mar-18 11:28:19

It does sound harsh- to say 'must exercise more' - and yet, research has shown that it is the key to pain relief in many cases, including back pain.

So as Bluebell says, find a pool where you can do aquafit once then twice a week- and start swimming. Perhaps go to one which is not your local one (this is what I do) - if you are very self conscious. You can also put some thin 3/4 leggings (Decathlon do some very thin ones) to wear with swimsuit.
Bonne chance- exercising does relieve pain, and get the adrenalin going to help with depression and helplesness. Hugs- and bonne chance.

115 Degree bend today, no more crutches or sticks and can go up the stairs totally un-aided- not even bannister. I am absolutely sure I could not have achieved this in 2 weeks without the regular and active use of the kinetec.

jura2 Thu 29-Mar-18 12:29:01

3 weeks + 2days - reached the ultimate goal of 120 degree bend. Pheew.

Still on paracetamol + 1 Naproxen a day though- time to start cutting back.

tessagee Thu 29-Mar-18 21:06:56

Someone here mentioned Flexiseq and I've been using it now for a week with great results. Unfortunately at a cost of £18.99 for about 8 days supply it is not possible to keep buying it. If I win the lottery I'll buy a year's supply.

annsixty Thu 29-Mar-18 21:27:59

Only just back to this, good news for all of you who do find painkillers, creams ,exercise good but frankly when you are bone on bone, nothing but a replacement works. There is nothing left to treat.
I can truly say it was agonising. Although my op produced good results I am sure it would have been better if I had had the op before it got as bad.
I would have been in a wheelchair in a few weeks it was so bad.

Cold Thu 29-Mar-18 21:42:43

Do you have access to a warm water or hydrotherapy pool?

I have Ehlers Danlos syndrome, fibromyalgia and following an accident destroyed one knee that had to be replaced when I was 50. However the warm water exercises are the only thing that kept me mobile.

I go to a special session for people with disabilities and health issues. It is not a group thing - everyone has their own exercise prescription from a dr or physio and we all do our own thing. Some have back issues, others are waiting for joint replacement, one elderly lady has had a stroke, The age range is huge, around 18-88 and the physical range is also huge but no-one cares as they just do their own programme.

I have a physio knee programme and started on 10-15 minutes - last Monday I did 1 hour 45mins.

annodomini Thu 29-Mar-18 23:21:17

My knees have deteriorated very fast. The first hint I had was ten months ago, but now walking is really trying - even a trudge round M&S is getting to be too much. I'm under a rheumatologist for an auto-immune condition which I suspect is responsible for the arthritis. She thinks I will need replacements but I haven't yet seen an orthopod. I will ask to be referred to the one who did my hip, 13 years ago - unless he's retired in the meantime. I can't take any opiates without feeling (and sometimes being) very sick, and NSAIDs are also disallowed, so am stuck with paracetamol. I find that Voltarol 12 hour gel takes the edge off the pain and gives me relief over night. I wish I could get rid of this pain. It spoiled the last part of an opera recently because I couldn't stretch my leg out and I was almost screaming for Madame Butterfly to hurry up and die! In future I will be booking aisle seats.

Jane10 Fri 30-Mar-18 06:49:51

I'm up early today as the pain in my knee was so bad that I had to get up and plaster on the Voltarol gel.
I've been putting off the evil hour so long but I think I'll need to make an appointment and kick off the whole process again. sad

paddyann Fri 30-Mar-18 09:12:58

Teacheranne have you tried Actipatch ? Its available from chemists and online.My D used it for Fibromyalgia and my cousin for a foot issue and both had good results .Although in my D's case only for a few months .Worth a try? Its worn 24/7 and lasts a month ,around £20 but you can get a trial size that lasts 7 days online and is about £5.

paddyann Fri 30-Mar-18 09:13:28

Google it and see reviews

jura2 Fri 30-Mar-18 10:03:47

So so sorry to hear that Jane and anno - bonne chance.

Jane10 Fri 30-Mar-18 12:08:49

Have bitten the bullet and made an appointment...
Friday 13th. Hope that's not ominous.

jura2 Fri 30-Mar-18 12:34:25

Good on you- and mya the force be with you.

The younger and fitter you are, the more able you will be to fight for recovery and enjoy your new knees- after the initial months. With you all the way.

But by gum am I glad I have not got 3 knees, for sure. xxx

jura2 Fri 30-Mar-18 12:35:25

I believe in reverse superstition ;) lol

Jane10 Fri 30-Mar-18 12:37:34

Gawd! Three knees. Couldn't cope with that.
You seem to be making a very good recovery though. You'll really be able to look forward to the summer.

jura2 Fri 30-Mar-18 15:09:30

Thanks yes - it is snowing like crazy now- so not out of the woods yet, or rather, into the woods. Can't wait to go swimming in about 10 days time.

Johncarter Thu 04-Apr-19 09:19:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Khan Mon 08-Apr-19 13:31:00

Hello. Can anyone tell me what a back knee support is?.l do not live in the U .K.,so l am not familliar with it.
As l have very bad pain in my knee,l would be very happy to try anything that will help me with the pain.

naomiwright Fri 17-May-19 19:17:09

I've had good results with that actually, and I've also tried Absorbine Jr that gave me extremely noticeable results. My mother in law recommended it to me because of a $2 off coupon, you can get one Knee Pain Relief. This has truly helped me so it worth a try.

M14dymo Sat 18-May-19 21:16:06

Flexsiseq is very good it lubricates the joint. I have been going to exercise classes for osteoarthritis of the knees. The physio said cycling was one of the best exercises Also you should not be overweight.

Naveeedakhtar5 Wed 23-Oct-19 15:32:30

amandac12 Fri 25-Oct-19 08:16:10

I don't know if anyone here has mentioned this. But, I believe medical cannabis can be of help to your problem. Have you tried it?
I have seen my grandmother benefit from the same. Maybe you could also try!

BlueSky Fri 25-Oct-19 11:02:24

As I said before my mother in law benefitted from Pregabalin/Gabapentin plus steroid injections in the knees every 3 months. But this was only a conservative option as she was too ill for a replacement operation. As others have said go for the op!

Ashman Thu 28-Nov-19 13:46:53

juljulia Thu 12-Mar-20 04:05:19

Sorry to hear this news, it looks like you have tried many ways. So is cold pack effective for you? It is very effective in reducing my knee pain. At first I used ice packs. They were a bit cumbersome to use and you had to freeze them over and over again. I found that I might need something more convenient to keep freezing my knees. I found a cold therapy machine in the online store. It is more convenient than an ice pack. As long as you choose the right pad, it can completely and completely cover the painful joints and provide 5 hours of continuous freezing.
www.gearhunder.com/ice-therapy-machine/

grignacarbo Sun 14-Jun-20 20:02:10

qualcuno ha avuto modo di provare questo prodotto per le ginocchia? dermalfillers2000.shop/en/orthopedie/15-quickclean-2ml-hyaluronic-acid-injection-for-knee-osteoarthritis.html