Gransnet forums

Health

Pain relief for osteoarthritis in knees

(93 Posts)
Teacheranne Tue 20-Mar-18 11:53:46

Does anyone have suggestions for effective pain relief for arthritic knees please?

I have been on various painkillers (paracetamol, naproxen, codeine, tramodol, injections, physio, acupuncture, reflexology and now amitriptylin) but nothing seems to help. I find it very difficult to walk even short distances so food shopping is a nightmare, i struggle even to shop at a small supermarket attached to a petrol station! I am unable to exercise which I need to do to lose weight as I know that will help. I was told three years ago that X-rays of my knees indicate that both are bad enough for knee replacement surgery but at 58 I was too young!

I am going to my doctor tomorrow to ask her for different pain relief which I think will mean going to opiate varieties which I am reluctant to use but I guess for a short time will be worth it to be pain free.

Yorkshirecarer Tue 09-Mar-21 21:27:30

I am a 30 year old female and for years I have suffered with knee stiffness but these past few months it’s getting worse this last week I can barely walk down the stairs as my knees hurt

lindaket Thu 08-Jul-21 09:02:06

srn63

I think the only thing that will give you pain relief is to have the knees replaced. It's rubbish that at 58 your were too young, mine were done at 55 and 57, never looked back since.

Hello there, does anyone have experience with joint replacements? I am considering getting one but don't know what to expect. If anyone has got one, please share your insights. Thank you.

henetha Thu 08-Jul-21 09:08:06

Your pain seems very bad and the only real answer is to have replacement knees. I had knee pain for years and was encouraged to have physio, and given lots of various pain killers (some of which, ibuprofen, ruined my digestive system), but in the end I did have both knees replaced. (not at the same time).
In my case these joint replacements were very successful and I am so thankful that I had it done. It transformed my life.

Aveline Thu 08-Jul-21 10:44:16

My knee replacements gave me mobility back. My life just shrunk as I ended up going from seat to seat. The recovery is no picnic but is 100% worth it. Don't delay.

Franco Thu 22-Jul-21 20:12:26

Leg lifting exercises morning & evening have helped me tremendously when steroid injections failed to work. My knee joints used to click & grind when I stood on one leg in the shower to wash the other foot.
I sit on a dining chair & lift one leg to horizontal & hold for a slow count of ten; I repeat this a further nine times, so ten lifts in total.
Then the other leg.

I do this routine in the morning & repeat in the evening. It develops the leg muscles which then relieves pressure on the knee joints so there is less wear & tear & minimal pain or no pain.

Happyally55 Fri 11-Feb-22 14:55:01

Picking up on an old thread just wondering if anyone had experienced if an unloader brace? I had a zoom physio apt this morning (hopeless really over a laptop) but she suggested it might help pain relief.

ginaella Tue 29-Mar-22 15:14:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Overthemoongran Sat 02-Apr-22 20:16:28

Teacheranne, I know this is an old thread, I wonder if you managed to see a consultant? I was 59 & could hardly walk. I used those mobility electric scooters whenever I could borrow one in a shopping centre. I badgered my GP until she eventually agreed to send me to see an orthopaedic consultant, he was delighted to offer me two new knees (eleven months apart). He said he wished he could see more younger people, they heal quicker and benefit more from the operation.

jobieP Thu 07-Apr-22 16:07:08

Try You tube. Pilates for very painful knees. The girl with the Pilates mat. It is done on a chair.

tickingbird Thu 07-Apr-22 17:44:14

Golden Paste is very good. It’s turmeric and it helps me.

markrob7484 Sun 17-Apr-22 20:18:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Apr-22 20:53:48

Reported

BlueBelle Sun 17-Apr-22 21:13:08

You’re wasting your time mate

Esspee Mon 18-Apr-22 06:02:36

Charleygirl

Before you see your GP do your own research re an orthopaedic surgeon. Ask friends and only accept somebody who prefers to work on hips and knees. You do not want a Jack of all trades and master of none.

Do not be talked into having both knees done at once.

My OH had a very successful replacement of both knees about 10 years ago. His advice is definitely get both replaced at the same time to get it over and done with in one go.
Posting to contradict Charleygirl. Everyone's experience is different.

Allsorts Mon 18-Apr-22 07:40:35

Teacheranne, First of all I sympathise, it's horrible pain. I read somewhere that every extra pound you carry puts 44lb of pressure on your knees. Know you well it's difficult to lose weight whilst immobile. I am a great believer in food triggering conditiobs and aliments. However if your knees are worn away like a hip gets, bone on bone, you need to return to your doctor and industry on a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon. I would go private if there a long waiting time. You're too young to have a treatable condition stopping you living your life.

shirleynilsson Fri 16-Sep-22 22:46:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

cornergran Fri 16-Sep-22 23:43:49

Reported