Gransnet forums

Health

Prescription charges

(82 Posts)
Poppyred Thu 29-Mar-18 18:18:16

Nhs England has at last stopped prescribing paracetamol type medications. This is long overdue!

MissAdventure Thu 29-Mar-18 18:35:18

I suppose that would depend on the strength, reason, and how many a day a person takes.
I'm sure people who take just a few buy them.

mcem Thu 29-Mar-18 18:41:57

Although my gp prescribed paracetamol for me, I have never included it on my repeat prescriptions.
The fact that they can be included doesn't stop patients buying their own.

Luckygirl Thu 29-Mar-18 18:47:37

This all begs the question as to why the NHS pays so much more for paracetamol than it can bought over the counter. Their procurement department needs a kick up the rear!

Poppyred Thu 29-Mar-18 18:50:36

8 is the maximum in a 24 hour period anymore could result in liver damage or worse

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:11:36

My BIL takes the maximum dose ( doctor advised) but thinks it’s wrong to have it on prescription. However because of the limit on what you can buy at any one time, he and my DS trail round chemists to build up the stocks. What woukd really help him ( and others like him) is if there was a way the GP could give permission to a local chemist to allow my BIL to buy a certain amount eg a months worth at any one time

phoenix Thu 29-Mar-18 19:17:12

I currently still pay for prescriptions, and even though I have bought a prepayment certificate, which saves me a fair bit, I would never dream of asking for paracetamol on prescription.

It is available in supermarkets at a very low price.

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:30:09

But what about the point I made?

valeriej43 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:30:17

I have had paracetamol prescribed but never got it,its ridiculous

MissAdventure Thu 29-Mar-18 19:45:42

Its fine if you're mobile enough to go paracetamol shopping, but a lot of people aren't.

Chewbacca Thu 29-Mar-18 19:49:52

Luckygirl makes a valid point. Why, if supermarket can sell 16 paracetamol, or ibuprofen, for less than 30p, why is the NHS charged more?

MissAdventure Thu 29-Mar-18 19:51:50

It is a strange set up. Can buy 3 packs of 16 for a pound in poundland.

PamelaJ1 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:52:26

I think you made a good point Maryeliza.
I have no idea how many paracetamol one can buy at any one time but I think you can buy them in supermarkets too.
As you can tell I don’t buy them myself (don’t get them on prescription either!) so it would be interesting to know.

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:53:30

Exactly Miss - all that halo polishing for not using a prescription but without considering that needing the prescription and having mobi,it’s oroblems can go hand in hand. I respect my BIL for his actions but woukd not criticise him at all if he used a prescription

PamelaJ1 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:54:17

Sorry I was posting as you wereMissadventure.
So at Poundland that’s 6 days supply at the maximum dose.
How many can you buy at once?

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:54:24

Mobility ptoblems

gillybob Thu 29-Mar-18 19:57:18

Yes I agree maryeliza infact a very good idea . Most chemists ( well my local Asda chemist) sell a large box of 76 paracetamols so not too bad .

I agree they shouldn’t be on prescription . I buy a 3 monthly paid certificate too and NEVER include these on prescription .

Bathsheba Thu 29-Mar-18 19:57:55

Maryeliza I take your point completely. The best solution I have been able to come up with, and I see no reason for the NHS not to implement it, is for people who need to take paracetemol all the time to be issued with a card which gives them permission to purchase x number of packs at a time. The card could be valid for a limited time, renewable as necessary, to allow for someone no longer needing to take the drug on a regular basis.

Primrose65 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:58:15

ME I think you've made a really valid point. It must be a real nightmare for people who need to take the maximum dose for medical reasons. There should be a sensible way to allow them to buy a reasonable supply.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:58:58

maryeliza I am supposed to take 8 per day (GP's recommendation), however, I don't.

I found that a helpful chemist will supply 32 tablets at a time if asked - they usually ask why you need that many.

However, when I was in Australia I found that there was no limit to what I could buy and bought a packet of, I think, 96 extra strength ones designed especially for osteo purposes.

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 19:59:34

Government guidance is 16 tablets eg a supermarket or 32 if a pharmacist deals with it.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:01:00

me apologies - she sold me 2 packets of 32, 8 days supply.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:01:28

That was in Boots

maryeliza54 Thu 29-Mar-18 20:02:41

And people like my BIL aren’t taking them for fun are they? Why is it all right to get eg your thyroxin free but you should have to pay for necessary regular pain relief?

ElaineI Thu 29-Mar-18 20:03:59

You can only buy 32 at once. They are not to be banned for chronic conditions. Some people need them in a therapeutic dose for severe pain - safer than codeine based products so should still be prescribed. It's for headaches/sore throats/minor time limited pain they are to be banned. Cough mixtures have no therapeutic value whatsoever so should never be prescribed. Constipation - don't know as it can be dangerous and cause obstruction.