Gransnet forums

Health

Reassurance about a cataract operation please

(14 Posts)
gerry86 Thu 05-Apr-18 16:31:05

I was diagnosed with having a cataract in one eye quite a while back now and it has come to the stage when it needs to be sorted. The idea of having an operation on my eye while I'm awake totally freaks me out, can you lovely people who may have had this done reassure me please.

Bridgeit Thu 05-Apr-18 16:36:57

My elderly Mum had it done a couple of years ago. Very quick & easy .She had been worried about sitting still in the same position etc,but they were brilliant at making sure she was comfy etc. She coped well with the drops that had to be put in for a few days afterwards. Wishing you well , it will be over before you know it ?

gmelon Thu 05-Apr-18 16:42:22

My husbands grandmother had this done. With successful results.
The first time she was in her late eighties. Then she had it done on her other eye when ninety years old.

She was very worried . Happily her fears were groundless and she found the procedures quite comfortable.

I'm sure other gransnetters have a personal experience to describe.
Good luck.

Auntieflo Thu 05-Apr-18 17:34:35

Please don't be woried. I have had both my eyes operated on, and it really was fine. Your eye will be anaesthetised, and apart from being aware of something going on, I didn't feel anything. Also my DH, who is the world's biggest coward about anything/anyone, touching his eyes, has had cataracts operated on, on both eyes. It was so wonderful after the first night's sleep, to see across the road, the individual tiles on the roof, rather than just a block of colour. You will be well looked after and so pleased that you plucked up the courage to have the procedure. Go for it.

grandma60 Thu 05-Apr-18 17:58:12

Yes, as others have said, there really is nothing to worry about. It is absolutely painless and the improvement to your sight will be life changing.
When I had the second eye done I was less bothered than I would have been about a visit to the dentist.

Grannyben Thu 05-Apr-18 21:31:26

My mother is the worst patient you could ever have the misfortune of meeting. You would have thought she was having open heart surgery, carried out by the local butcher, instead of having cataracts removed (I never mentioned to her that I would have been dreading it myself)
She went in at 7.30, went into theatre at 9, was sat having a cup of tea and biscuit by 9.45 and was back home at 11. 48 hours later she was on as coach trip joyfully telling everyone how easy it was.
Obviously you are going to dread getting this done but please be reassured, if my mother can do it, anyone can.

Charleygirl Thu 05-Apr-18 21:36:47

My aunt had hers done when she was in her 90's and coped fine. She also lived on her own.

PageTurner Fri 06-Apr-18 05:10:09

I wouldn't say the procedure was absolutely painless, more uncomfortable initially, as the eye is anaesthetised. You won't feel the actual surgery on your eye. They will give you a pair of sunglasses to wear (unattractive). So buy a pair of good sunglasses as you will find that everything will be brighter through that eye. I had both eyes done 7 years ago and it still amazes me how much brighter the world is. Good luck to you and don't worry about it. It is a very safe procedure.

Grandma70s Fri 06-Apr-18 06:13:47

I’m scared, too, but I am beginning to think I really must have it done. Several people have reassured me it’s fine, but I can’t quite believe them, somehow. Suppose I’ll have to get round to it eventually.

yggdrasil Fri 06-Apr-18 08:56:38

Don't look at it as an eventually. Get it booked! Once it is done, you can stop worrying :-) and you won't be so bothered about the other eye when that becomes necessary,
(I have had both done, a couple of years apart)

wildswan16 Fri 06-Apr-18 09:59:16

Had mine done about two months ago. Please don't worry. Before the procedure you get drops into your eye (which don't hurt), and your eye is then completely aneasthetised. You lie on a comfy bed and just let them get on with it. You don't see or feel a thing.

Most places offer you a little bit of sedative if you think you will be nervous. Just enough to calm you down for the fifteen minutes it takes. I didn't bother with that.

The eye feels a bit watery and strange afterwards but not painful. I wore an eye shield for 24 hours and had drops to put in for a few weeks. It is absolutely worth it and you will be so cross with yourself if you don't get it done.

gerry86 Fri 06-Apr-18 10:47:47

Thank you all, I've just made an appointment with my GP to get referred to the hospital. Your turn next Grandma70s???

barbarad Fri 06-Apr-18 10:48:46

I was very scared too but I have now had both eyes done. The actual operation only lasts for 10 -15 mins. You don't feel a thing and can't see what's happening. Before you know it you are being told it's all over! They put eye drops in before and you really don't feel any pain. The results are stunning and it's such a joy to see the bright colours of our world. I am sure your GP will give you something to curb your anxiety but honestly there really is nothing to be scared of. Good luck.

goldengirl Fri 06-Apr-18 12:36:38

The imagination is not your best friend for an occasion such as this. Go for it. The results are amazing and well worth the 15 minutes it takes - and you don't feel anything. I'm the greatest coward and shook like a jelly and felt a real prat afterwards as it was no problem at all.