Gransnet forums

Health

Autism

(11 Posts)
notoveryet Thu 19-Apr-18 09:09:38

One of my adult grandchildren is waiting for the test to see if she has autism. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Jane10 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:31:56

Er yes. Be aware that your grandson will still be exactly the same after assessment. He may or may not be on the spectrum but he is as he is.
99% of the people who were given the diagnosis by our adult diagnostic service were relieved. They were were glad to have an explanation for any difficulties they may have faced.
It's not a label it's a signpost to appropriate understanding and services where required.
Don't panic! As one person said to me 'it's not a diagnosis it's an upgrade!)

Jane10 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:35:08

Just noticed you said 'she'. Girls tend not to be noticed at school. Many more coming to light though. Among other things I run a group for ladies who have AS. Ages range from 35-70. They have jobs, partners and families. Don't panic!

Chinesecrested Thu 19-Apr-18 10:02:55

I nearly started a new thread but luckily noticed this one. My ddil is investigating whether dgs aged 5 is on the autistic spectrum. I love my dgs to bits and we seem to have a connection. She finds him very hard to deal with. He has melt downs, argues a lot, get over excited very easily and is very demanding of attention. This can all be very wearing especially as there is a 2 year old sister on the scene as well. I can empathize with my ddil as she has to deal with this on a daily basis but not sure whether a diagnosis of autism is the answer. I can remember when I was at school, lots of boys behaved like this and even my own S aged 5 was called "hyperactive" by my father. Is there now a trend for labelling children ? Is it a Good Thing or not? When she took dgs to the paediatrician I had told him to be a good boy. When they got back I said how did it go? She said he was good as gold (not happy) and he said " nanny told me to be good, so I was". Am I right in thinking these diagnoses are much more frequent these days? Do they help? My ddil says he would get extra support, maybe an extra classroom assistant in school. Oh dear I don't know what to think...

Squiffy Thu 19-Apr-18 12:38:41

notoveryet You may find the link below is useful. The course is excellent and is pitched at just the right level (IMHO) for a good general understanding.

www.futurelearn.com/courses/autism

If you put Autism in the search box on GN you'll see other threads that have already been posted that may help you, too.

notoveryet Thu 19-Apr-18 12:42:56

I feel for you chinesecrested, my husband is very against the labelling aspect and looking at what Jane10 says I don't know that it would be any great advantage to an adult. There is a great deal more to her story but last time I shared for a bit of support it ended up in Facebook so I am wary now.

lemongrove Thu 19-Apr-18 12:52:03

It all depends on if a person is being able to manage their lives.
If an adult, and coping with life most of the time, perhaps just reading on the subject which will help them to understand themselves.
If they will need help coping, then a diagnosis could be the answer.

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Apr-18 13:15:04

My DD is waiting to be assessed along with my 11 yr old DGD. Her three sons all have various diagnoses of Asperger's/Autism. She has wondered most of her life why she is different. A diagnosis will, she says, help her to understand herself better.

Nannarose Thu 19-Apr-18 13:23:15

I have worked with children and families all my working life, and have dealt a lot with these discussions. I did have one family, who, when the 7 year old was being considered for an autism diagnosis, sent the grandfather for assessment, and he got his diagnosis in his 70s!

First of all, there is no definitive 'test'. Assessment usually takes place over time for children - can be more obvious in adults. Some children mature out of certain traits - in others they become more embedded.
Secondly, the term 'spectrum' is meaningful - we are all at different places in different aspects of our personality. Many of us show mild autistic traits without actually 'being autistic'.
Thirdly, use the diagnosis - if you get one - to be helpful. It can be used to unlock resources, to explain behaviour, and is helpful in understanding how best to approach learning and understanding.
It does not need to be a label that means the child, or adult, should always be taught or approached in a certain way or 'put in a box'. It is the person's own 'label' to help them and their family, and to be used as they wish.
Good luck to you all.

BlueBelle Thu 19-Apr-18 13:46:20

But it isnt used as YOU wish once it’s out there Nanarose if medical lables can be seen by future employers and you had two people go for a job of equal suitability and one has a label and one doesn’t who gets the job?
If the child and parents are managing however slowly then I don’t believe a label is helpful
Obviously it can be extremely helpful if the child ( or parents) aren’t managing
I m sure as nanarose says we all have a bit of various traits in our personalities
I know teachers who see that label and immediately think oh no and that’s not fair but it is what can happen

ninathenana Thu 19-Apr-18 18:53:57

A diagnosis was helpful to my 27 y.o. son. He was relieved to know that he's wired different and not mad or odd.
It has also helped him with DSS as they were threatening to stop his money as he has been unable to find work since he left school with 4 A-Cs They appointed him a work coach, sadly after 12 mths this has stopped and he's still not working.
Many do hold down jobs, marry and have the life the majority of us enjoy.

hildajenniJ last sentence sums it up.