Gransnet forums

Health

Dentures or bridge?

(9 Posts)
Hillary17 Thu 19-Apr-18 19:32:08

Taken a trip to the dentist today and have been told that after an accident some months ago, and some unsuccessful surgery as a child, they will have to remove some teeth. My front teeth! I have a full set and the idea of them being moved is devestating to me. Although not great looking, they’re mind and I feel like a failure. I have another appointment next week as today’s dentist is leaving the practice, but have seen many horror stories about dentures. If a bridge is an option I’d rather that but there seems to be so many differing opinions on private or NHS options! Any advice or comments would be so appreciated as I’m very anxious and feeling incredibly self conscious / worried about them falling out when I laugh, being noticeable or uncomfortable!

Grammaretto Thu 19-Apr-18 22:13:33

First of all, please don't feel like a failure. I know young people who lost their teeth in accidents or through illness. It's not any fault of yours.
I had to lose a tooth near the front recently and was given the option of an implant at enormous expense, or a denture on a plate on NHS. A bridge wasn't possible because that would need a strong neighbouring tooth to attach to.
Anyhow I went for the false tooth and chose the colour but when it arrived I found it hard to get used to so now I just have a gap. I told myself I'd wear it for photos and special occasions but I don't think anyone else notices. At least that's what I tell myself but you say there are several teeth in your case. I hope someone can give you good advice. I wish you well.

J52 Thu 19-Apr-18 22:25:55

My teeth are getting old, in the future they are liable to crack and break.
My dentist and I had a discussion about future options so that there was a plan in place rather than a crisis decision.
She suggested a chrome plate, where the replacement teeth are mounted on a thin chrome band instead of a plate. I was impressed by this option.
I’ve probably not described it very well, but more info. is on the internet.

Scribbles Thu 19-Apr-18 22:27:33

Following an accident last year which resulted in the loss of 6 upper front teeth, I was fitted with a denture. At first, the mere idea appalled me but the dentist was kind and reassuring and metaphorically held my hand every step of the process. I am seriously dentist phobic so this was important! From first visit to final fitting took around 2 months and, a year on, I find it hard to remember how worried I was.

The denture is light, fits comfortably and is well colour-matched with my own teeth. Truthfully, my new teeth look considerably better than the real ones ever did. To date, they haven't stuck themselves into a bread roll or flown across the room when I sneeze or any of the horrors I'd thought possible. First thing in the morning, I brush my teeth, then sprinkle a little Wernets Ultra powder fixative on the denture then that's it for the day.

The dentist said my mouth may "shrink" a little over 12 to 18 months which might involve re-making the denture to prevent discomfort. So far, this hasn't occurred.

I went to a private dental clinic - NHS dentists around here are as rare as hens' teeth if you'll pardon the expression - and I have no idea whether I would have received such considerate and thoughtful care at the hands of the NHS. Total cost, including extraction of broken roots and antibiotic treatment for an infection, came to around £2000. Worth every penny.

Gerispringer Fri 20-Apr-18 05:37:47

I lost one of my upper front teeth and wad unable to have a bridge so I opted for an implant. It took 6 months to do but I am so glad I had it done, yes, it was expensive but I think it’s worth spending on your teeth. Had it done privately, Worth every penny imo. I did have a temporary denture to wear while I was waiting for the implant and didn’t like it, I think it affected my speech.

Willow500 Fri 20-Apr-18 06:39:38

I lost one of my front teeth when I was 14 due to an abscess some time earlier which had destroyed the root (mum took me to the doctors not the dentist). I had a small denture for years which was fine for a long time. I then had a bridge fitted when I was in my early 30's but the dentist back then fixed it to two teeth at the side instead of on either side so it wasn't as stable as it should have been. Nevertheless despite having it refixed a couple of times it lasted me over 20 years. Sadly during a routine visit to my present excellent dentist about 4 years ago he informed me that there was decay under the bridge and also under a capped tooth nearby - the long standing abscess problem I'd had since the initial one all those years ago was still there so the only option was to have them out and a denture or to go down the implant route with a private dentist he could recommend. I did the latter - it was a long 9 month process and the initial op I had was quite painful as I had several teeth removed, the implants put in and also a graft on the bottom jaw to insert an implant where a tooth had been missing for years. The cost was steep too but it was the best money I've ever spent so if you can afford it for one tooth I'd go for it. Otherwise a well fitting denture will be fine - I had to wear a temporary one again during the implant process but it didn't fit very well so I had to resort to fixative but it wasn't that big a problem. Your smile is important - it gives you confidence and if you feel confident you feel much better about yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Deedaa Fri 20-Apr-18 22:16:59

At the other end of the scale I've been perfectly happy with the NHS plate that cost me £250 last year. My nice Indian dentist made it as pleasant an experience as possible and it has filled in a couple of gaps I'd had for years so I look much better.

Happysexagenarian Sun 22-Apr-18 21:39:54

Pease don't feel like a failure, none of this is your fault! I had the same fears as you that a denture wouldn't fit well, might be uncomfortable or would look artificial. I chose private treatment because I couldn't find a local NHS dentist who was taking new patients. I have been wearing my first ever partial upper denture for about a month now and I am delighted with it. My denture is a really good fit, no rubbing, slipping or wobbling, and is held in place by small hidden metal clips that grip two natural teeth. At the moment there are just four back teeth on one side of the denture which are very comfortable to chew and eat with, but in a couple of weeks four front teeth will be added to the denture and my existing front bridge (which is over 20 years old) and its supporting teeth will be removed. My gums have receded and a gap appeared between the bridge and my gum and the bridge has twisted out of alignment and is overlapping other teeth. Ugly! So I am really looking forward to having a straight even smile again. My dentist decided to complete the denture in stages so that I could get used to wearing it before she removed any front teeth, and she has taken a lot of trouble to ensure really good moulds were taken and a perfect fit was achieved. It's very important that you tell your dentist if anything does not feel quite right with your denture as it is easily altered before the final fitting. Naturally the denture felt a bit big and bulky in my mouth for the first few days, but now I hardly notice its there. I didn't want to have implants and my dentist said I didn't have enough bone density for them. Having worn a bridge for many years I can confirm they feel very natural, but it usually means destroying two perfectly good teeth to attach a bridge so many dentists are not keen to do it now. I think the secret to well fitted dentures is to have a patient unhurried dentist and a good dental technician. My dental work has so far cost me £700 but that includes extractions and sedation, the actual denture is £460. I hope this helps to allay your fears a little.

fumanchu Mon 23-Apr-18 16:27:29

I came on here to ask a Q about dentures and found this smile Mine don't fit at all. I have 4 upper front teeth on a plate and it's awful, is seriously ruining my life. I have to use tons of fixative just to stop the bloody thing falling out when I open my mouth. It's very awkward to eat and food gets stuck behind it as it's so loose. I saw my dentist this morning and moaned at her... she says she could either reline this one or do me a better thinner more flexible one. But this one cost me £100 and the new one is £400. I wanted to ask if anybody had experience with these thinner flexible plates?