Gransnet forums

Health

grommets in ear

(9 Posts)
Caroline2016 Wed 30-May-18 16:10:54

I have had problems with being partly deaf in my right ear since a bad cold bug over Christmas 2016 also have some balance problems.
Have seen an E.N.T Dr who was not particularly helpful as he was just " filling in " but suggested that I had fluid in the eardrum , now I have had a letter to go to E.N.T Dept at Hospital , it is mentioned that a grommet may have to be fitted , done under local anesthetic , cant say that I fancy this procedure very much , has anyone had this done and can tell me what it is like , looking on the Internet it says that once you have had this done it may have to be done again and again , on one site it suggests just get a hearing aid and wait for the fluid in the eardrum to clear by itself , what is your advice ?

Belgravian Wed 30-May-18 16:22:03

When my daughter was small she had fluid in her ears and grommets were advised.

I was very fearful of her going under a general anaesthetic and our GP at the time was a lovely Spanish doctor and he told me that in all honesty he would not let his son who was a similar age to my daughter have grommets fitted and to research a massage technique.

I cannot for the life of me remember where I found the information as it was so long ago but I massaged behind her ears and the fluid was drained and I did this a number of times and she never had to have the grommets fitted.

AlieOxon Wed 30-May-18 16:27:12

I have had it done, and it wasn't any worse than a small tooth filling. Lovely woman surgeon. But - it didn't work. Apparently it usually does!

I must look up about this massage idea, as I still haven't got the hearing aid, and am not keen on it!

Belgravian Wed 30-May-18 16:43:52

This has good reviews and mentions that adults have used it with success

www.amazon.co.uk/Otovent-Glue-Ear-Treatment-Pack/dp/B00308F9O6/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?keywords=otovent&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1527694951&sr=8-1

Belgravian Wed 30-May-18 16:46:23

youtube.com/watch?v=oi6DdairDIo

Belgravian Wed 30-May-18 16:51:12

Watch the video until the end as it has an excellent animated diagram.

Fennel Wed 30-May-18 16:52:12

It used to be quite a common procedure for children with a hearing loss due to fluid in the ears. Often related to tonsil/adenoid problems.
They tend to switch off in school because they can't hear and so become retarded in all subjects.
As far as I know it was a successful procedure, not traumatic.

jusnoneed Wed 30-May-18 19:12:57

My son had them fitted when he was young (now 29), we noticed he didn't hear when people behind him or a distance away spoke. Worked fine and he never had a problem again.

LadyGracie Wed 30-May-18 20:00:32

My daughter had them in both ears when very young, she was left with slight hearing loss but has not been unduly bothered by her ears since.