Gransnet forums

Health

Mammograms and breast cancer

(19 Posts)
Magrithea Sat 02-Jun-18 18:11:21

Probably not a new topic on here but just wanted to emphasise the importance of attending for your mammogram (if still eligible) or perhaps asking for one once you're no longer in the right age range.

After attending my 6th mammo I got a call back and was told, after biopsy, that I had a small tumour. I couldn't feel a thing! I don't have big boobs either. I've now had a lumpectomy and 4 lymph nodes removed and am awaiting radiotherapy.

So ladies, the moral of the tale is ATTEND YOUR MAMMOGRAM! What is a few seconds of discomfort against the worry of diagnosis, surgery and treatment?

annsixty Sat 02-Jun-18 19:29:04

It is also very important to half-hour own checks as mammograms are not infallible.
I found a lump in my breast, it was not found to be of relevance in a mammogram but I was asked to go for a second. Still no problem, however I was asked to go for a scan.
Still nothing showed up.
The radiography who was a consultant had 'a moment', and referred me to a colleague who did a deep core biopsy. Yes it was cancer and treated due to diligence by experts.
I was very lucky as I would not have survived the cancer which was grade 3 but only stage one.

annsixty Sat 02-Jun-18 19:31:30

Half hour ??? See check.
Let us get rid of auto check.

HAZBEEN Sat 02-Jun-18 20:33:22

Good luck with your treatment Magrithea sending you hugs and best wishes.
I had a call back a few years ago but luckily the lump was benign but I have friends who have had breast cancer. I never miss my mammogram, its so important to look after yourself.

hildajenniJ Sat 02-Jun-18 20:36:59

My last mammogram resulted in a call back. Fortunately it was found to be a fluid filled cyst. I didn't feel it. I have just received my next appointment. I will definitely be attending.

Magrithea Sun 03-Jun-18 12:27:26

I had a benign fibroadenoma years ago but this was different.

Self checking wouldn't have found it annsixty as I tried after the call back and couldn't feel anything. Even the radiologist who did the pre-op wire insertion (I had a wireguided wide excision) said it was 'subtle'.

annsixty Sun 03-Jun-18 13:10:37

I hope it all goes well with your Radiotherapy Magrithea
It made me very tired but it was ok apart from that.
I send my best wishes for a complete recovery.

NannaM Mon 04-Jun-18 14:17:22

Going for my first appointment with radio oncologist today. Surgeon told me I would have four weeks radiation, then Tamoxifen for 5 years. Not looking forward to radiation, especially the fatigue. Can't wait to get it over with. I too had a very small tumor (picked up by mammogram), then fine wire insertion, sentinal lymph node biopsy and lumpectomy. So so grateful to wide awake radiologist who picked it up at mammogram.

AlCakes Mon 04-Jun-18 21:31:19

Contrary to the official narrative (which is based on medical business-fabricated pro-mammogram "scientific" data), there is marginal, if any, reliable evidence that mammography, both conventional and digital (3D), reduces mortality from breast cancer in a significant way in any age bracket but a lot of solid evidence shows the procedure does provide more serious harm than serious benefit (read the books: 'Mammography Screening: Truth, Lies and Controversy' by Peter Gotzsche and 'The Mammogram Myth' by Rolf Hefti - see author's synopsis at TheMammogramMyth dot com).

IF........ women (and men) at large were to examine the mammogram data above and beyond the information of the mammogram business cartel (eg American Cancer Society, National Cancer Institute, Komen), they'd also find that it is almost exclusively the big profiteers of the test, ie. the "experts," (eg radiologists, oncologists, medical trade associations, breast cancer "charities" etc) who promote the mass use of the test and that most pro-mammogram "research" is conducted by people with massive vested interests tied to the mammogram industry.

Most women are fooled by the misleading medical mantra that early detection by mammography saves lives simply because the public has been fed ("educated" or rather brainwashed) with a very one-sided biased pro-mammogram set of information circulated by the big business of mainstream medicine. The above mentioned two independent investigative works show that early detection does not mean that there is less breast cancer mortality.

Because of this one-sided promotion and marketing of the test by the medical business, women have been obstructed from making an "informed choice" about its benefits and risks which have been inaccurately depicted by the medical industry, favoring their business interests.

Operating and reasoning based on this false body of information is the reason why very few women understand, for example, that a lot of breast cancer survivors are victims of harm instead of receivers of benefit. Therefore, almost all breast cancer "survivors" and the general public blindly repeat the official medical hype and disinformation.

Allegretto Mon 04-Jun-18 23:35:13

I will be playing safe and attending my scheduled routine mammograms.

goldengirl Tue 05-Jun-18 11:06:58

When a mammogram is offered I take it up! Last time I had a recall which was scary but fortunately turned out OK. I think it's something the NHS does well.

Magrithea Wed 06-Jun-18 11:45:39

that's quite a screed A1Cakes - from your spelling and quoted sources I'm guessing you're not British. Here in the UK mammograms are free to women over 50 and there is little profit if, as most women do, you use the NHS. Private mammograms are available but I think on a much smaller scale.

How else are we supposed to deal with worrying lumps? My small cancer (and it was cancer) was detected early and I don't regard myself as a victim or survivor - I just want to get the treatment finished and get on with my life

Grannyknot Wed 06-Jun-18 13:03:13

Magrithea a friend of mine had a mammogram recall, similar situation to you, and the same approach - she had the treatment and got on with her life. That was six years ago. I certainly don't think of her as a victim or a survivor, just someone who needed treatment for a problem which was "nipped in the bud" by early detection.

overthehill Fri 08-Jun-18 19:51:15

A1cakes I'm with you on this one. You may be quoting US evidence but there is also the train of thought here in the UK that over diagnosis causes women to have unnessary procedures when the findings would never have developed into breast cancer in the first place.
Of course if you discover a lump it must be investigated but I am sceptical about breast screening for the wider populatin

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Jun-18 20:10:26

I'm sorry, Alcakes but I had no idea I had two lumps and the consultant could detect nothing either, but they were detected by a routine mammogram, found to be cancerous and removed along with lymph nodes.

Please heed the OP.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Jun-18 20:11:36

I just want to get the treatment finished and get on with my life
And all good wishes Margrithea - I am sure that you will!

NfkDumpling Fri 08-Jun-18 20:17:50

I’d recently been bemoaning that I was now of an age where I wouldn’t get mammograms or smear tests anymore and I’ve been summoned! It seems they’ve decided to trial extending the age limit, younger as well as older. So I’m off again next week!

Auntieflo Wed 20-Jun-18 10:08:16

I am glad to have seen this thread. I have not had a mammogram since 2011. All was clear, then this year, for some unknown reason I lifted my arms, in front of the bathroom mirror, and saw a small depression, right underneath my breast. So small that at first I thought it was a shadow, but I made a Dr's appointment. She said she thought all was OK, but sent me for a hospital appointment and scan. Unfortunately a small lump was discovered, and I had needle aspiration and a core sample taken. I had a mammogram and an ultrasound scan. Luckily, at that time, nothing was found in my armpit. I am now awaiting the results and return next Wed. According to the mammogram technician, all my previous records were destroyed in 2008? I had felt nothing, so keep up the self screening and mammograms if offered.

Anannymous Wed 20-Jun-18 11:51:12

I was diagnosed with bc following routine screening 15 years ago. Neither the doctors or I could feel a lump but the mammogram had shown something suspicious. Following surgery I had a 4cm cancer which had already spread to the lymph nodes. I didn’t realise that there are lots of different types of bc and mine was a type which often doesn’t show on X-ray and doesn’t form a lump. So thank goodness for the vigilance of the doctors who were wonderful. I have just had my routine 3 yearly screening on my remaining breast which is always very stressful, the wait for the results I find very difficult, but luckily all was ok. I suppose what I would like to say is think very carefully before refusing the invitation to screening. It probably saved my life and that of three friends who were also diagnosed following screening, (they were also diagnosed with aggressive type cancers).

Apologies for the lecture and best wishes to everyone who is going through treatment at the moment.