Gransnet forums

Health

Suggestions/personal experiences with statins.

(83 Posts)
Katek Sun 03-Jun-18 15:01:06

DH has been on a statin for 12 years following his heart attack and will be on them for life. In the last six months, however, I think I am noticing some possible long term side effects and wondered if anyone had any experiences that might confirm my thoughts. He is plagued with digestive issues-bloating and wind - and a very subtle loss of concentration that nobody else would notice. These can be side effects I believe, but wondered if they’re inevitable or can a change of medication help? I swear he could provide enough wind for a hot air balloon!!

giulia Fri 15-Mar-19 10:41:27

Caledonail4 Re your short-term memory problems: I suggest you Google "transient global amnesia duane graveline". Graveline was an American scientiest/astronaut who became very anti-statins after his personal experiences, and wrote this book about it. You can get it on Kindle.

I was interested in him as he was researching damage to the dermatological immune system due to statin intake - but he died at the age of 85 before completing his studies.

I, personally, have had experience of damage to my immune system within months of taking Atorvastatin and the psoriasis which also set in has not left me.

KatyK Sat 16-Mar-19 11:45:50

I was put on a low dose of statin last year as my cholesterol was a bit high. Shortly afterwards, for the first time in my life, I started having nosebleeds. I hadn't had one for over a year but had have had one this morning. It scares me. I am seeing my GP next week and will see if she thinks it could be the statins.

BlueSky Sat 16-Mar-19 12:32:11

KatyK I am just like you as soon as I'm given a new medication I assume all symptoms are related. Even taking herbal supplements I blame them for various ailments. I must have a phobia of them all! But yes you are right in mentioning it to your GP.

KatyK Sat 16-Mar-19 12:39:30

Thank you Bluesky Nosebleeds terrify me. I am a big baby. When I had them last year, my GP said 'nosebleeds are common' and that was that. They are making me scared to go out. I'll see what she says.

pharmhand0 Thu 14-May-20 00:55:13

During quarantine I created a tool that uses your genetics to determine drug response risks. If you have a 23AndMe or AncestryDNA kit, interestingly, you can get pretty good information on simvastatin response. If anyone thinks this could be useful for them, I encourage a visit to www.pharmhand.org There is many other medication info available as well.

heath480 Thu 14-May-20 02:29:12

I have been on statins for nearly 17years,I have genetic high cholesterol,I am slim,very active,perfect blood pressure.

I take two types and see a hospital Consultant not my GP.I have had no adverse effects and my cholesterol is well controlled.

Kato20 Sun 13-Dec-20 23:24:18

Since a heart attack in August 2020 ( prior to which I was perfectly healthy) I was prescribed a cocktail of drugs including Atorvastatin 80mg daily. Almost immediately I have been suffering from severe arm back and shoulder pain as well as insomnia and fatigue. My GP ordered a blood test which showed heightened liver enzymes of over 300 ( it should be around 50) After terrifying me with possible reasons for this I have had a liver scan and await results. I am now convinced the statins caused these awful symptoms and have now discontinued their “use” but object to having been given such a dangerous drug without so much as a warning that they could cause such serious side effects! X