Gransnet forums

Health

Paracetamol

(21 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 09-Jun-18 15:48:11

I take lots of these for chronic pain, from both my hip and my biliary system.

I used to get them from my GP, but can now no longer do so. Fine - the NHS needs to save money and I am happy to pay for them.

But.....I live in a rural area and getting to the shops is not as easy for folk in town who can pop to the corner shop to get them. Shops cannot let me have more than 32 at a time, and those run out pretty quickly. Short of doing the trip to town and trailing round several chemists and getting stocked up, I cannot see what I can do. My mobility is not great and, ironically, traipsing around to several chemists causes the very pain that I am taking them for!

I order 32 every time I do an online shop (about once every 3 weeks) but that does not last long. I suppose I could order 32 from several online pharmacies and pay the postage on them all.

Anyone else having this problem?

Luckygirl Sat 09-Jun-18 15:50:15

The other irony is that the GP could prescribe me much stronger painkillers with no problem. I want to manage on the paracetamol as long as I can, so I am not doped up.

SueDonim Sat 09-Jun-18 16:00:59

I'd 'make friends' with one chemist in particular. Once they get to know you they would probably be happy to sell you bigger packs. My dd was offered the choice of packs of 32, 64 or 100 recently.

Also, you can get inexpensive paracetamol in many shops now, newsagents, supermarkets and I've even seen them in clothing shops, perhaps for the headache that clothes shopping induces! You could pick up a couple of packs wherever you see them.

Oldwoman70 Sat 09-Jun-18 16:10:53

A friend orders paracetamol online from The Independent Pharmacy - she can order up to 3 packs of 32 at a time.

janeainsworth Sat 09-Jun-18 16:17:52

lucky I can’t find out much by googling, but I did find this
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2018/03/31/nhs-to-stop-prescribing-paracetamol-and-other-over-the-counter-remedies-7430405/amp/
At the end of the article it says:
However, the changes will not affect prescriptions for long-term or complex conditions, or where minor illnesses are a symptom of something more serious and vulnerable patients will still receive prescriptions for over-the-counter items.

My italics. It might be worth asking your doctor whether you have what is considered a long term condition.
Personally I can’t see the logic that just because a drug is cheap and available without a prescription, you should have to pay for it, especially when the number you can buy at any one time is limited, if you need that drug to be reasonably comfortable.

I’ve been taking thyroxine for the last 10 years. It’s cheap as chips but for some reason I didn’t have to pay for it, even before I was 60 and exempt from charges. It doesn’t make sense.

Luckygirl Sat 09-Jun-18 16:54:45

Thanks for that - I will ring the practice on Monday and see what the position is. And I will also look up the Independent Pharmacy.

cornergran Sat 09-Jun-18 18:37:40

lucky yes, my GP continues to prescribe as she wants me to take 8 a day and quoted the long-term clause to me as she anticipates a life long need. I hope it can be easily sorted for you, I do understand the stress caused by a struggle with the practicalities of purchasing them.

Nanawind Sat 09-Jun-18 21:23:59

If and I mean if you have a long term health problem the GP will still prescribe paracetamol in large enough doses to fulfill the month. My mil has a long term health problem and she is issued 500 tablets a month. And if she hasn't used them all one month cancels the next. It's the people who want paracetamol for a short term illness that they don't want to issue as they are so cheap to purchase, which you only need for a week or 2.

Nelliemoser Sat 09-Jun-18 23:34:22

Luckygirl
I know what you mean about only being able to buy 32 at a time. I take two paracetamol nightly and a bit more if needed , but I do have fairly easy access to inexpensive paracetamol and go around the different shops buying up when I am out.

I am quite happy to buy my own but as Luckygirl says she cannot easily get to several shops to buy them.

I also try to manage with paracetamol or one paracetamol and one co-codamol if I feel I need it.

Teacheranne Sun 10-Jun-18 00:51:54

I have just picked up my repeat prescription of 200 paracetamol which lasts me one month approx. My GP has not mentioned stopping this prescription and I hope she never does as I really would struggle to get round enough shops to buy that much. I take 8 a day, together with tramodol for my arthritis but I hope to have replacement knees sometime in the future and my GO is well aware of my problems.

ElaineI Sun 10-Jun-18 01:09:57

I have discussed this with the pharmacist in my Health Centre and pharmacies do not treat chronic pain - that is entirely the remit of the GP to prescribe paracetamol for this. Buying paracetamol is only meant for things like headache, fever, period pains, aches after exercise etc. A pharmacy is only meant to sell 16 tablets at a time less than the 32 you can buy at a supermarket. Paracetamol is a dangerous drug if taken over the recommended dose and one of the main tablets taken in suicides which is why the there is a legal limit on what can be sold rather than prescribed.

Baggs Sun 10-Jun-18 07:26:43

I think you should go back to your GP and say what you said in your second post about his/her willingness to prescribe a stronger painkiller (presumably one containing paracetamol, like co-codamol).

Just as a btw, I've been taking co-codamol daily for twenty years. I'm not doped up. Becoming accustomed to a drug doesn't mean you are doped up, just that you are not reacting to it as you might have done initially. As I understand it quite a lot of prescription drugs have initial side effects which wear off after the first few weeks.

Good luck.

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Jun-18 07:36:49

My GP hasn’t mentioned not prescribing Paracetamol either. Perhaps its a practice decision as they can be bought more cheaply over the counter. If your GP knows you can’t get to the shops surely he should still prescribe?

Before my op my GP had upped my Paracetamol to Co-codamol as the Paracetamol wasn’t really touching the pain, and, although the hospital sent me home with Paracetamol I’ve been taking the Co-codamol as its a lot more effective. (Don’t tell!). However, it also means I take it less often - only when the pain tells me too - as it works quicker and better. It doesn’t make me as dozy as Paracetamol. May be worth trying a change to see how you get on.

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Jun-18 07:41:35

Also, Codeine became unfashionable a while ago but is now being recognised as more effective and not as bad as thought. So, taking a mix may work better. The hospital also gave me tiny codeine pills as a top up when the pain was worst, but the balance in Co-codamol seems to suit me better. The only problem with codeine is the side effect - constipation!

Luckygirl Sun 10-Jun-18 09:51:57

I am not great with any opiates (vomit for a start!) so I would like to steer clear of codeine and continue the paracetamol as long as I can. I have ordered some online from my GP practice and will await the response!

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Jun-18 10:38:23

Fingers crossed then Lucky. I love opiates - but go a bit weird and drifty on Paracetamol! DiL has just had extensive tests done at Adenbrooks in order to find a pain killer which works without too many horrible side effects. They have found one!

cornergran Sun 10-Jun-18 12:53:48

nfk could you please tell me which hospital department did the testing on your daughter? I have huge issues with pain medication and am seriously tired of the ‘just try this one’ approach which must cost the NHS a fortune in wasted prescriptions. I’ve found it best to be very specific in my requests for referral. Many thanks.

Luckygirl Sun 10-Jun-18 13:00:31

I have always had problems after surgery - anything that hit the pain made me puke for England or gave me severe heartburn and alternatives either did not work or caused the most extraordinary hallucinations.

I am a friend of paracetamol - still leaves some pain, but at least I remain a functional human being!

Luckygirl Mon 25-Jun-18 14:30:06

I have them!GP OK'd it and I picked them up from the surgery. They have been put on repeat, so I just have to ring up and bingo!

Auntieflo Mon 25-Jun-18 19:20:55

Well done Luckygirl, persistence paid off ?

SpringyChicken Mon 25-Jun-18 22:33:07

Great that your problem has been resolved, Luckygirl. For anyone else in the same predicament, I suggest going back into the same supermarket several times and buy thirty two tablets each time. No need to to traipse around to lots of shops. Go to a different till each time.