Gransnet forums

Health

Question for you ladies who've had a hysterectomy

(106 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 05-Aug-18 08:29:19

I'm nearly 61 and am considering having one. I have recurrent postmenopausal bleeding and am fed up with having to be investigated for possible uterine cancer every time I have a bleed - the stress is horrendous and I want to be done with it.

I know it's major surgery and not a decision to be taken lightly and I've read about long-term problems such as increased risk of pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. It would be very helpful to hear about your experiences and how long ago you had the surgery. Is it a decision you're happy you made or do you regret it?

inishowen Mon 06-Aug-18 11:33:14

I had mine aged 58 (8 years ago). Mine was for a large fibroid. I had everything taken away, ovaries, tubes and womb, so I need abdominal surgery. I didn't really give myself enough time to recover. I had surgery on June 25th and was back at Pilates in September. Big mistake, I wasn't ready for it. I have no regrets at all about the surgery.

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 06-Aug-18 11:36:29

51 when I had mine. After having had a couple of prolapses it was suggested that removing the uterus would be beneficial. Can't say as I've ever missed it and certainly didn't miss all the hassle of periods. Mine was done vaginally. Had to be very sensible for the first six weeks - no lifting, gardening etc. The worst thing was not being able to drive and having to get husband to come food shopping with me to do the lifting smile. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Belleringer Mon 06-Aug-18 11:41:35

I had my abdominal hysterectomy 20 years ago when I was 46, and it was the best thing I ever did, it transformed my life. I had one ovary removed at the time and made a very quick recovery, the only problem I have had since is hot flushes. However, far from the scar disappearing into the jungle I lost all my pubic hair which has never regrown! You can barely see the scar though, it has almost faded away.

annemac101 Mon 06-Aug-18 11:44:14

I worked in a GP surgery and the female GP who was very good at her job told us if we ever had to have a hysterectomy make sure they take the ovaries too and you'll have no worries later in life with ovarian cancer.

GrannyBettie Mon 06-Aug-18 11:45:51

I had my partial hysterectomy when I was 45 (no children). At the time my doctor recommended that I have everything 'whipped away' but I asked to keep my ovaries and cervix. Not sure why now but I guess it mattered at the time! I have been fine since and was glad to have it done due to multiple fibroids. I never went on HRT. I would say go for it.

JackyB Mon 06-Aug-18 11:54:58

Mine, too, was taken out when I was about 40 because of fibroids. I was glad to be shot of the bleeding, but was not prepared for the overwhelming psychological effect. I kept dreaming I was pregnant, and was on the verge of depression for at least 10 years.

I think, though, that, if you're having a hysterectomy at 61, you have already had closure with your child-bearing years and your mind won't play such tricks on you.

I still have my ovaries, but I go regularly for check ups, and have no family history of cancer or the like, so it's no great problem.

I've never heard of anyone having a hysterectomy just to get rid of the uterus with no medical reason, so let us know how you get on.

dumdum Mon 06-Aug-18 11:58:38

Was threatened with hysterectomy in 1998 for very heavy bleeding, was anaemic, last chance saloon a Mirena coil. Worked very well for me, took me over the menopause. However, if I was going for hysterectomy, would have ovaries removed as well. One less site for cancer to develop.

Venus Mon 06-Aug-18 12:01:17

I had a hysterectomy quite a few years ago, kept ovaries, done virginally. I recovered very quickly and have been fine since. I'm 72 now.

littleflo Mon 06-Aug-18 12:10:40

I am 70and I had a hysterectomy and my overies removed when I was 45. It was the best thing and I have never had side effects. I think, once it is done you will feel relieved.

notoveryet Mon 06-Aug-18 12:31:34

Now, 67, abdominal surgery at 39, ovaries as well. Absolutely no menopausal symptoms. I had a week in hospital and 6 weeks off work, never regretted it.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Aug-18 13:15:27

I had my ovaries removed due to a small lump on one that could be cancer. Decided to have them out rather than the stress of being monitored every 3 months. No regrets or side effects whatsoever in the two years since it was done.

JanT8 Mon 06-Aug-18 13:36:59

I also had my hysterectomy 20 years ago, and yes, best thing I ever did.
I was also advised by my G.P. to have my ovaries removed as ‘ it’s one less place for cancer to strike’. I took her advice and then had oestrogen patches for several years. All good!

Beejo Mon 06-Aug-18 13:40:23

Yes, here's another positive story.
I had a total hysterectomy 14 years ago (when I was 55) because of extremely heavy bleeding caused by fibroids, and have not looked back, no regrets. The operation was key hole and I recovered fairly quickly, though, to be honest, it was quite painful for a short while.
You mentioned the possibility of pelvic organ prolapse and I have recently had a minor problem with that.
I had an accident last year when I suffered a fractured spine and the resulting muscle weakness combined with the constipation caused by pain killers resulted in what my GP described as a "perfect storm" for a prolapsed bowel.
However I was referred to a brilliant gynae physio who taught me exercises which have totally solved the problem.
One thing that may or may not be mentioned and which I was not prepared for (and it's probably very individual) is that it was like a switch was thrown on my libido. Since the day I had my operation, sex has become something I am totally ambivalent about.

MaggieTulliver Mon 06-Aug-18 14:10:24

Overwhelmed at all the continuing positive stories, thank you so much! GrandmaSueUK, I'm interested in your reason for the hysterectomy. Did the doctors recommend it or did you ask for it? Obviously they didn't find anything, which is great! Did you have scans and hysteroscopies (which I've had) but were unable to get enough tissue for biopsy?

sluttygran Mon 06-Aug-18 14:17:28

I had a total hysterectomy and ovaries removed age 48 for heavy bleeding and ovarian cysts.
I was terrified, but it was a doddle. I was a bit groggy the day after, but very little pain or discomfort and I was home and cautiously energetic on the third day.
I felt as though I had been reborn, life was worth living again, and now age 70 I can honestly say that it was a great blessing.
I’ve had no menopausal symptoms whatsoever except an occasional warm spell ( quite welcome in the winter months!)
I guess I’m one of the lucky ones, but the surgery itself is really nothing to worry about. Taking care of yourself after the op is necessary of course - no driving for six weeks, and no heavy lifting for three months, but I was able to exercise gently as much as I wished, and that really helped.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and best wishes for a return to full health!

Bagatelle Mon 06-Aug-18 14:56:27

I had a hysterectomy when I was 30. I'd nearly died giving birth and was still having so much trouble a year later that it had to come out. It look me another year to get over it, but I did have small children and not much help. I kept my ovaries because of my age, although I was warned that I might hit the menopause by the time I was 36. I didn't.

The decision re ovaries at that time was made entirely due to age, but I think that now there are thoughts that they do continue to have a positive input after the menopause.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/hysterectomy/considerations

Esspee Mon 06-Aug-18 15:25:19

I had my hysterectomy almost 30 years ago. The surgeon went in via my Caesarean section scar so I still have the smiley face down there. It took a month or two to rebuild my strength afterwards but I never regretted it. I am now close to 70, still on HRT and apparently look and act like I am in my fifties. I do have a little bladder weakness but every one of my friends are the same. I would say go for it, and good luck.

Grammaretto Mon 06-Aug-18 16:15:58

I had one 10 yrs ago for prolapse. I was 58. It was vaginal and I kept my ovaries but lost my cervix. No more smear tests.

My surgeon told me I was not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for 6 weeks as I would damage his careful stitching and a repair would never be as good!
Luckily I had help at the start and my DH and DD were great and allowed me to rest.
I have never regretted it. I exercise to prevent further prolapse but I am quite well.
I wonder with curiosity and admiration how all 4 gt grandmothers had at least 8 children. One had 13!
Hope it goes well for you.

Fflaurie Mon 06-Aug-18 16:29:25

I had a total hysterectomy and bilaratel oophorectomy, I have NEVER looked back. No pain, no bleeding, no mood swings. and of course, the removal of at least three cancer sites. I went into hospital knowing I would feel better, I was up within 48 hours, in the shower with my drip, I walked around the ward several times a day to get going, I walked when I got home, to the end of the road and back, then again half way so on. Your womb is redundant now, get rid and move forward with a light heart.

MaggieTulliver Mon 06-Aug-18 16:39:42

It certainly is redundant Fflaurie! My beautiful daughter is all growed up and I won't miss my womb one bit! I do like the idea of having 3 potential cancer sites removed as well. I really have no idea how the consultant next week is going to respond to my request but I can be quite forceful when I want to!

nellgwin Mon 06-Aug-18 17:30:25

Total hysterectomy aged 40 years due to excessive bleeding every three weeks as I had had this problem since my teenage years and three pregnancy's
O what a transformation I had a life again, took HRT till my 60s.
Doctor also advised me to have my ovaries removed, as there was research to suggest that ovarian cancer was a silent killer, hard to diagnose in the early stages.
Gave me peace of mind, never regretted it. Go for it.

Chicklette Mon 06-Aug-18 17:32:10

I had a hysterectomy at 35. I had an abdominal cut and kept my ovaries due to my age. I had 3 young children, the youngest of whom was 2 at the time, so I had to be careful while recuperating, but it was a good decision. No more flooding every 3 weeks, the small carcinoma they found didn't grow into anything sinister and I felt so free. TBH my recovery time felt like a very special holiday! I managed to accept help from friends so time with my daughters was just spent having fun, not doing housework or rushing around. It was 22 years ago now. I assume I've gone through menopause but had no symptoms at all. Just do it!!

Morgie52 Mon 06-Aug-18 19:40:05

I am 65 and only had a total hysterectomy 3 months ago. After six months of problems and many hospital visits I was finally diagnosed with womb cancer and was petrified at the thought of surgery. Luckily I was able to have keyhole surgery and received excellent care from all this involved. I have now had the all clear for the cancer and have been surprised at the quick recovery rate. I did find that no one quite prepares you for the excessive wind problem which last two or three weeks and that a lot of people get a urine infection shortly after. I also found it hard to deal with the DVT injections which I had to have for four weeks and was unable to do them myself so my husband had the job of injecting me. Sorry don’t want to sound negative I just wish someone had explained these things before. I have to say the actual operations was not as bad as I had dreaded!

Marydoll Mon 06-Aug-18 19:50:48

I meant to say, I kept my ovaries, but had hardly any menopausal symptoms, nor did I need HRT..
The advantages of my hysterectomy, definitely outweighed the disadvantages,

PennyQ Mon 06-Aug-18 20:08:46

I had fibroids and endometriosis and very heavy painful periods. At aged 55 I had total abdominal hysterectomy. Never regretted it for one minute despite the instant menopause and hot flushes. The freedom of not having 12-15 days of heavy bleeding overid all other considerations