Gransnet forums

Health

Question for you ladies who've had a hysterectomy

(106 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 05-Aug-18 08:29:19

I'm nearly 61 and am considering having one. I have recurrent postmenopausal bleeding and am fed up with having to be investigated for possible uterine cancer every time I have a bleed - the stress is horrendous and I want to be done with it.

I know it's major surgery and not a decision to be taken lightly and I've read about long-term problems such as increased risk of pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. It would be very helpful to hear about your experiences and how long ago you had the surgery. Is it a decision you're happy you made or do you regret it?

Oldbat1 Sun 17-Mar-24 17:34:46

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy due to large fibroids plus i had ovaries removed. Felt wonderful as soon as i came round. Struggled to walk at first. No hrt unfortunately as gp felt cancer risk!!! so into immediate menopause. I was told i could drive as soon as i could safely do emergency stop! I returned to work within 6 weeks. I was 50. No issues 20years later except still have occasional hot flushes!!!

Mummy1234 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:41:44

Hello I’m 71 and had hysterectomy and prolapses repairs done vaginal surgery. Cannot believe how good I feel ,even though I still have catheter in for peeing .i was so scared but so glad I have had it done

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 27-Mar-24 18:57:05

Mummy1234

Anyone had loose stools 6 days after having hysterectomy and prolapses repair’s please I’m very worried

This Thread is very old,( 2018) it might be an idea to start a new thread?

Tricia2 Wed 27-Mar-24 20:38:25

I had a hysterectomy about 20 years ago and i and very few side affects, if any. It took a few months but afterwards i felt better than I had in years. They did not take the ovaries.

Imarocker Wed 27-Mar-24 20:59:53

MaggieTulliver

I'm glad to hear that you've been side-effect free Humber. Do you mind me asking how old you are now? I'm seeing my consultant in a couple of weeks so it hasn't been discussed yet.

Sorry for the delay - I’m now in my 70s. Had the op when I was 45. Went onto HRT after the op. Never regretted it.