Gransnet forums

Health

7 habits to ward off dementia

(29 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Wed 22-Aug-18 17:14:52

Sorry I don’t know how to do links but I’ve just read this in the Times.
A study in America on 6600 people over 65 have found that the combined effect of 7 things can cut our risk of dementia.
Not smoking-moderate drinking- eating plenty of fruit, veg and fish- staying slim - exercising - controlling blood pressure and cholesterol and blood sugar.
Actually that seems like 8 to me! I suppose blood sugar is American for diabetes.
Well I should be fine then.
Now where did I put my car keys?

BlueBelle Wed 22-Aug-18 17:38:25

If you want to do links in future Pamela just pull up the article and hold your finger on the heading in the box at the top it will ask you if you want to copy click copy then when you have your self in this box hold your finger down and it will ask you if you want to paste and click paste
all done it’s really simple
Well I m alright too but so was my mum going by that list and she had seven awful years

loopyloo Wed 22-Aug-18 17:44:51

Also keeping an active social life, correcting hearing loss and learning a language seems to help.

kittylester Wed 22-Aug-18 17:57:47

The thing is, how do they know? There is no control sample.

silverlining48 Wed 22-Aug-18 18:37:43

My mum did all the above, plus speaking two languages well but sadly it didn’t help her avoid dementia, 10 years of hell and torment.

Fennel Wed 22-Aug-18 18:38:58

loopyloo "correcting hearing loss".
That must be important. I'll have to go for another test. Not hearing cuts you off from people.

Greyduster Wed 22-Aug-18 19:14:06

My sister in law fits into all the above criteria, has just been diagnosed with dementia and, even within a short time, her behaviour is giving cause for much concern. I wish they wouldn’t trot out this stuff. It helps no-one.

M0nica Wed 22-Aug-18 19:19:54

The research reported, in other papers as well, did not say that doing these things would mean you would not get dementia. It said it would reduce the risk of getting dementia. So some people doing all these things will develop dementia but fewer than in a similar sample from the population as a whole, regardless of life style.

MawBroon Wed 22-Aug-18 19:20:57

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1251316-How-to-prevent-dementia
We had a thread just the other week where I agreed with OP that while all the health advice is admirable, medical research has not yet found how to prevent dementia any more than it has found a cure for the common cold and trite articles such as “Seven habits” etc with glib “advice” do sufferers and their families a very real disservice.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Aug-18 19:23:42

Completely agree Greyduster. It only serves to make us feel as though our loved ones, who suffer from dementia, have failed in some way. My lovely neighbour is 71; fit as a flea; walks miles each day with her Labrador dog; plays bridge with different groups; never smoked in her life, and has just this week been diagnosed with dementia. Where did she fail?

Day6 Wed 22-Aug-18 19:25:14

I am always reminded that the extremely bright, well read and thin Margaret Thatcher ended her days not knowing who anybody was, or where she was.

She may have been an alcoholic, junk food eater with Type 2 diabetes and a 40 Woodbine a day habit but I doubt it somehow.

I think it may be luck of the draw or a genetic disposition maybe. My late MIL walked every day, read, had opinions about everything and ate healthily. She started becoming confused at the age of 69 and ended her days (18 years later) bedridden, silent and unaware of anything or anyone. It's very sad.

I try to keep my brain active and read and do crosswords and other puzzles and must admit I fret a bit when those words on the tip of my tongue won't come out! This is a fairly new experience but my friends assure me it happens to them too.

SueDonim Wed 22-Aug-18 19:54:02

I agree, Chewbacca about making people feel as though they have failed. It feels like victim-blaming, really. Our closest friend is succumbing to the darkness of dementia at only 70yo. He's led a blameless life but this foul disease will get him regardless. sad

MawBroon Wed 22-Aug-18 19:58:00

That was precisely my point on the other thread (TAAT oops!)

loopyloo Wed 22-Aug-18 20:07:16

With regard to Mrs Thatcher, she always wearing smart shoes and I don't think she walked very much. Also was famous for only sleeping for a few hours each night. Contrast. that with the Queen who is known to spend a lot time walking round Balmoral

MiniMoon Wed 22-Aug-18 20:44:02

I don't care how much the "experts" tell us what to do to ward off dementia, it's a complete lottery. As I mentioned on the previous thread on this subject, I worked in a unit for people with dementia. We looked after the wife of a labour peer. She had been a wonderful woman. Every year on her birthday she received a huge bouquet of flowers from the university she used to lecture in. She was a languages professor, taught Russian and Spanish. They were a very for couple, and walked extensively in the Lake district and Scotland. The longer we live the higher the chances of us succumbing to dementia. It is a very cruel disease.

MiniMoon Wed 22-Aug-18 20:45:06

Why did fit turn into for?

jenpax Wed 22-Aug-18 20:58:51

Why is staying slim brought into every health issue these days? it’s become the new smoking. I am not convinced that it’s as simple as the doctors make out!

M0nica Wed 22-Aug-18 22:15:41

Why should anyone think they had 'failed' in someway or not had a good lifestyle just because they are diagnosed with dementia? All these articles talk about reducing risk, not removing risk, so people who have lived lives of blameless perfection still have a chance of getting dementia, but less of chance than people whose life styles are deplorable.

jenpax as smoking has reduced so have illnesses related to smoking: cancer, heart attacks and strokes. If keeping your weight down is the new smoking, then keeping your weight down will definitely have good effects.

PamelaJ1 Thu 23-Aug-18 08:18:08

It crossed my mind that if one is fit and healthy then life expectancy would be longer. More chance of getting dementia?
I do know, sadly, it affects younger people too but it generally associated with greater age.
Now someone will tell me I’m wrong!

M0nica Thu 23-Aug-18 08:26:09

The older you are the greater the probability you will develop dementia BUT, recent research has shown that the proportion of people getting dementia at any given age is actually falling. This has been explained by higher levels of education that means people maintain a higher level of mentally stimulating activity through old age and that the older people live, the better their lifestyle is likely to have been, so they reap the benefit of those 7 habits that reduce the probability of dementia.

So while numbers of people in the population with dementia will grow as longevity increases, the chances of an individual developing dementia will fall.

Antonia Thu 23-Aug-18 09:42:24

The original post, with the comment "I should be fine then," carries an implication that following this advice would somehow insure the writer against dementia. It also implies that failure to do all these things increases the risk, which is very distressing for all those experiencing the results of this awful disease. I think we are all aware that the perfect lifestyle is the goal - we are constantly bombarded with this drivel advice. The problem is that most of us don't achieve it and are therefore deemed to have 'failed' in some way whenever illness strikes. This attitude is unfortunately becoming increasingly common.
The fact is, that no-one actually knows what causes dementia, and until a cause is found, advice such as staying slim, being active and eating well is meaningless. A study of just over 6000 people is a small study anyway.

GillT57 Thu 23-Aug-18 10:45:00

These kind of articles anger me with the hidden message about dementia somehow being the fault of the sufferer. My DF was slim, fit, intelligent, articulate, etc., etc, and still ended his days terrified as Alzheimer's disease engulfed him.

M0nica Thu 23-Aug-18 13:42:05

I am sorry I disagree, there is nothing about these articles that suggests dementia is the fault of the sufferer. They all make it clear that it cuts the risk, not removes it completely.

Everybody understands that if you take statins it will reduce but not eliminate the probability of you having a stroke or heart attack. It is exactly the same with dementia. You cannot blame those reporting the research if the readers choose to completely misinterpret it.

agnurse Thu 23-Aug-18 21:32:09

Dementia can be due to numerous things. Keep in mind, too, that there are different causes of dementia:

-Alzheimer's disease is one of the most common forms of dementia. Alzheimer's disease is characterized by a literal reversal of normal development. The first thing you lose is your judgement skills. The last thing you lose (if you live long enough) is the ability to smile.

-Vascular dementia is another common form of dementia. This is caused by one or more strokes, including small strokes that the patient may not even realize they have experienced. The clinical course of vascular dementia can vary widely because it will depend on the parts of the brain that have been affected.

-Frontotemporal lobe dementia tends to affect younger people (usually in their 50s). This cause a loss of judgement skills and inhibition, and may cause early personality changes.

-Lewy body dementia, relatively rare, causes problems such as hallucinations and parkinsonism (tremors and rigidity similar to those seen in people with Parkinson's disease).

-Mixed dementia occurs when people have more than one type of dementia together.

Again, as already stated, these habits lower risk. They don't necessarily eliminate it. In fact, one of the best ways to lower your children's risk for dementia is to read to them. I recognize that many here are already grands, but you can encourage your children to read to your grandchildren (or read to your grandchildren yourself). This seems to be protective against dementia later in life.

Definitely, keeping mentally active also helps a lot. Keep in mind, too, that just because you may have a "senior moment" or develop "hereafter syndrome" (i.e. you go somewhere and go, "Now what am I here after?"), you may not have dementia. In order for dementia to be diagnosed you must have impairment in memory AND at least one other cognitive domain. Losing your car keys is one thing. Forgetting the way to the grocery store where you've been shopping for 30 years is something else again.

tessagee Fri 24-Aug-18 08:24:28

Thank you for this really lucid and useful summary.