Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening recall

(62 Posts)
Jane43 Wed 29-Aug-18 10:44:30

I am one of the ones who missed their final breast screening and had a screening about two weeks ago. I have had a letter recalling me this morning and am feeling rather anxious. Has anybody else had a recall and what happened? I do examine my breasts regularly and there is no obvious sign of a problem.

pollyperkins Fri 31-Aug-18 08:58:50

I also had a recall a few years ago and like others feared the worst. However it was nothing. But a friends was recalled and was told it was cancerous but she had a lumpectomy and some treatment (dont know the details ) and is now fine. This was years ago -over 10. So even if it is bad news it is not the end of the world.

Patticake123 Fri 31-Aug-18 09:13:14

Of course you are anxious and telling you not to be would be useless. I do hope all goes well for you and that it is a good outcome, but if not, be confident that you will be in good hands.

hulahoop Fri 31-Aug-18 09:24:54

Jayne43 you are bound to anxious has others have said could be anything . I found lumps in my breast which did turn ou to be breast cancer there was nothing to be seen on my mammogram which had been done a few months previous ,most lumps found on mammograms are cysts etc hope you get result we all hope for but if not it is good to have been found early and treatment can begin there are quite a few of us on gransnet who have had breast cancer and have come out of the other side good luck for Monday ?

Mrsdof Fri 31-Aug-18 09:43:48

I was also recalled after having a Mammogram nearly 4yrs ago now. Mine did indeed turn out to be Breast Cancer. I had a lumpectomy and the lump was so small they had to put a needle in for the Surgeon to find it. This was then followed by 4weeks of Radiotherapy which caused me no problems whatsoever. I am now 3.5yrs into remission and all seems fine. Whatever you do, try not to worry and please everyone else don’t miss your mammograms, they are a life saver not all cancers show up by self examination . Good luck, sending you flowers

vickya Fri 31-Aug-18 09:56:08

I had a recall too although no outward signs, cancerous lump removed, radiation therapy for three weeks and then hormone therapy for 7 years, but no chemo and the operation was in 2010. I don't have to have annual check-ups now so am clear as they know.

The advice I got when I was diagnosed was go on any trial offered, and I went on the low radiation trial, which radiated a smaller area. It meant I saw the consultant every year so they could monitor it. The hormone treatment affects bone density so I had to take a medication to replace this and that means visits to the dentist are a problem if extractions are needed, but really there are a wide variations of cancers and how they affect people and I felt I was lucky and the dreaded C is something that can be dealt with.

All the best, Durrstone and I hope things go well.

PamSJ1 Fri 31-Aug-18 10:14:41

I was also recalled after my second routine mammogram. Turned out to be cancer but caught early, I had absolutely no idea. Had surgery two weeks ago today - lumpectomy, sentinel nodes removed for checking and therapeutic reduction as advised will give better results with radiotherapy treatment. I am also waiting to see consultant on Monday for results.
A friend of mine was also called back shortly after me and she is fine. Remember those who have something wrong when called back are in the minority.

Alypoole Fri 31-Aug-18 10:22:45

Jayne43 [flowers

David1968 Fri 31-Aug-18 10:37:00

Years ago, a colleague had a recall and it turned out that there were early signs of cancer. She had all the required treatment and eventually returned to work. Over 15 years later she's enjoing retirement, being busy and happy.

Jane43 Fri 31-Aug-18 10:58:54

Thank you all once again for your good wishes and for telling me about your experiences - good and not so good. I will definitely be attending the appointment and will try to keep an open mind. Unfortunately it has come at the wrong time for us as DH is going to Canada on September 17th to visit his sister and brother-in-law who are both very ill. What will be will be.

vickya Fri 31-Aug-18 11:31:17

All the best, Pam, for a smooth recovery. Get plenty of rest as the radiation can make you tired.

tigger Fri 31-Aug-18 11:35:39

Yes a recall is nerve wracking and in many cases proves to be ok. However, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but mine wasn't and I am eternally grateful that my tumour was spotted.

chrissyh Fri 31-Aug-18 13:11:49

Harris, just reading your experience, like you I am big breasted. The first mammogram I had, the pain was excruciating, so much so, I thought I was going to pass out. I was recalled and was worried that there was something wrong but also worried about going through the painful experience again. I was told the first result was unclear. The follow-up one was absolutely fine, just the usual discomfort, and so was the result. Hopefully just a blip with the screening.

barbh Fri 31-Aug-18 14:55:03

I, too, had a simple cyst removed long years ago (1975, after finding a pea-size lump), and in 2008 was recalled after a mammogram because a shadow showed up, causing a bit of panic. But a needle aspiration procedure was done and it was found to be old scar tissue from my original cyst-removal, which was removed under a general anaesthetic in hospital as an overnight patient. Hopefully, your callback turns out to be nothing more serious than old scar-tissue from your old cyst removal, Jane43. To all those who've been recalled after a mammogram, I send you all best wishes for good outcomes.

NannaM Fri 31-Aug-18 15:33:21

I've been recalled twice - the xray came back clear on the recall the first time and they said I may have moved. The second time it was a small tumor which was removed along with a few lymph nodes, and I had 16 radiation treatments and am now on Tamoxifen. Do I wish it had been different? Of course! Am I glad I had the mammogram? Of course! - The alternative doesn't bear thinking about. I remember the anxiety of those days that you are experiencing. Be kind to yourself. Even if it is Breast Cancer, the survival odds get so much better all the time. Good Luck

sazz1 Fri 31-Aug-18 16:09:36

My sister was recalled but it was due to blurred xrays.

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 31-Aug-18 16:35:34

I got recalled some years ago. Worried myself sick but all was fine. They were just being super careful. Hope the same happens for you flowers

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 16:47:44

I have never taken up any of the 'offers' such as mammograms, smears or bowel cancer packages that you send away.
Half of them aren't accurate, even the NHS admit that.

GabriellaG Fri 31-Aug-18 18:50:59

Apologies...it's about recall not first screening. blush

OldMeg Fri 31-Aug-18 18:51:17

Neither did my sister. Dead of breast cancer at 61.

knspol Fri 31-Aug-18 20:54:17

Had 3 recalls whilst living abroad, further tests showed all clear. Since being in UK no recall - either they are not as thorough here or I had needless tests, still not sure which.

Magrithea Sat 01-Sep-18 14:35:09

Jane43 I suspect you are older than me if you missed your final screening. I had a call back in March (I'm 61 btw) and biopsy showed that I had a very small (8mm) tumour that I couldn't feel but was definitely there. Fortunately I only had to have a lumpectomy as a day case followed by 3 weeks of radiotherapy a couple of months later (you have to be healed up completely before they will start the radiotherapy)

It is scary but the consultant and support nurses were fantastic and the radiotherapy didn't give me many side effects . You will be told the whole range of what can happen but don't think it will!

Harris27 was it you or the nurse in tears? I hope not the nurse but can understand you being upset!

I hope all goes well for you

Magrithea Sat 01-Sep-18 14:37:32

Jane43 I've just read your other post - don't worry about DH going to visit in Canada. I waited about a month for surgery and then a further 2 for radiotherapy. I was seen quickly for the radiotherapy planning meeting as we were going away so it started about 10 days after we got back.

fingers crossed that it's a cyst and nothing more

Jane43 Sat 01-Sep-18 15:43:42

Margrithea. Yes I am 75 in two weeks’ time. I had a screening when I was 68 and apparently should have had a final one when I was 71 but it was overlooked. That is one reason for my concern as it means I haven't had one for 7 years. I suppose I should have realised I should have had another one at 71 but I had a lot of family issues including a house move and my DH having two hip replacements during that period and we women do tend to put our needs at the back of the queue. DH does have travel insurance so he could cancel his travel plans but he is desperate to see his sister who is 80 and her husband who is terminally ill. He also has two aunts out there who are in their early nineties. His first reaction was that if it is bad news he would cancel his trip but he is only away for 12 days so we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Thank you for letting me know about the time period you had as it is helpful to know.

Daisyboots Sat 01-Sep-18 15:55:32

I was recalled after my first mammogram but I wasn't too worried as I knew I had a sebaceous cyst on the left side if my breast. But it showed I had breast cancer in another area. Two weeks later I had a lumpectomy and two months later 5 weeks of radiotherapy. The worst part was the 5 years of tamoxifen which messed up my metabolism totally. But hey ho 22 years later I am still here and enjoying life. I am now 74 and pay every three years for a mammogram and ecogram for peace of mind as my Grandmother had breast cancer at the age of 81.

Magrithea Tue 04-Sep-18 09:13:13

Jane43 how are things going? I hope you've had the call back now and that whatever needs to be done is happening. It's all a bit scary but better to know than not know I think.

It's heartening to read of all those who are fine years on from original diagnosis as that's always the nagging doubt in the back of the mind. My SiL had a mastectomy in her 50's and is fine 20+ years on and another friend had a lumpectomy at a similar time followed by chemo and radio in her 40s and is fine. A friend of similar age to me had the works last year so is now OK but worries