Gransnet forums

Health

Breast screening recall

(62 Posts)
Jane43 Wed 29-Aug-18 10:44:30

I am one of the ones who missed their final breast screening and had a screening about two weeks ago. I have had a letter recalling me this morning and am feeling rather anxious. Has anybody else had a recall and what happened? I do examine my breasts regularly and there is no obvious sign of a problem.

Jane43 Wed 05-Sep-18 10:48:25

Hello Margrithea, thank you for asking. I actually logged on to report back on my experience. I was called through exactly at the appointment time and when removing my top clothing the nurse told me that there was an area in my left breast that needed investigation so I knew straight away that it wasn’t just that the mammogram was unclear. After a short wait I had several x rays on the left breast only and almost immediately I went in for an ultrasound. The practitioner was brilliant and told me there was a small area at the bottom of the breast that needed investigation and that it was only 3mm in size. She showed me the X-rays and then I had the ultrasound on both breasts. She said she was going to arrange a biopsy but wanted to consult with the nurses first. At this stage my main reaction was relief that the area was only 3mm. When she returned she said the nurses had confirmed her thoughts that they would do the biopsy using the mammogram machine as the area was so small. They would take five samples and afterwards would insert a small pellet, I think it was titanium, to mark the area for future reference. This procedure was uncomfortable but bearable because they used a local anaesthetic and the nurses were wonderful. After that I had two more x rays of the left breast and was given a date for attending for the results which is September 13th, the day before my birthday. I was given the opportunity to ask questions at all stages but to be honest it was very difficult to think clearly. I suppose I should have asked what possible explanations there were for the suspect area but it is not too long to wait for the results, just over a week.

DH and I had a long discussion about his planned trip to Canada on September 17th and have agreed that he should go ahead as if I have to have surgery it will probably be a lumpectomy which I think is day surgery and in the unlikely event of it occurring while he is away my younger son and daughter-in-law would help me as they have no children and although they haven’t been told anything yet I know for sure they would help if necessary.

Anannymous Wed 12-Sep-18 10:26:32

Hello Jane

Just to wish you well for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you.

Izabella Thu 13-Sep-18 09:55:33

Hope all is well today

Jane43 Thu 13-Sep-18 13:16:45

Thank you Annanymous and Izabella. I went for a day out shopping yesterday to take my mind off today. While I was having a coffee DH phoned to say the hospital wanted to speak to me so I called them. Apparently the result is inconclusive so the biopsy has to be repeated. They cancelled today’s results appointment and re-booked me for a biopsy next Thursday. However there is still a very bad bruise and she said the area has to be completely healed before another biopsy can be done. So I will see how it is on Tuesday and let them know if It isn’t healed.

I spoke to a friend who is the same age as me and discovered a small lump in her breast in January and the biopsy showed it was malignant. She has had a lumpectomy, reacted very badly to the chemotherapy, declined radiotherapy and is now recovering well. She was horrified that my healing after the biopsy is taking so long as hers healed in four days and her general health is much poorer than mine. However they only took one sample from her whereas they took five from me. Perhaps the difference is because her lump, which was only 3.8 mm, could be felt whereas mine can’t.p

So unfortunately I have no clear answer yet.

fiorentina51 Thu 13-Sep-18 18:13:30

My first biopsy was inconclusive too. They expected to find cyst fluid or cancer cells apparently. I had my second biopsy about a week later and straight away you could see the lump on the screen collapsing as they withdrew the fluid. It was sent away for analysis and a few days later it was confirmed as a cyst.
I did, unfortunately, suffer a bout of cellulitis in the area of the procedure which was cleared up with the help of antibiotics. Other than that, all was well.
Hope all goes well for you too. ?

Jane43 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:54:31

Thank you fiorentina51. It is just frustrating that the bruising is taking so long to heal. I just want the second biopsy over and done with so that I can hopefully get an answer. I’m glad all went well for you.

MillieBear Thu 13-Sep-18 21:17:47

Jane43 I recently underwent further tests, cyst removal and a biopsy (with titanium implant for future reference), and the bruising lasted several weeks. I was quite sore and terribly bruised and I still have the scar of the biopsy. I hope things go well for you.

Luckygirl Thu 13-Sep-18 21:37:58

It must be frustrating to be waiting longer before conclusive results. I do hope it all gets sorted soon.

Jane43 Fri 14-Sep-18 12:30:46

Thank you MillieBear and Luckygirl.

Tynsall Sun 13-Dec-20 00:28:40

Hi everyone I have just had the dreaded letter after a routine mammogram, the hospital has asked me to go back for further tests . They say that I need further investigations but didn’t give any other reasons, needless to say I am now very anxious especially during this covid crisis.
Has anyone else been through this recently?

travelsafar Sun 13-Dec-20 09:43:00

'Tynsall' i have a friend who experienced what you have. . Covid has had no impact on her appointments at all, thank goodness. Try not to worry.