Gransnet forums

Health

Diverticulitis problem

(76 Posts)
cheneslieges132 Sun 02-Sep-18 10:47:35

Since being diagnosed with mild Diverticulitis 2 years ago, this has impacted my life in one way in particular ... and that is, I can now never go ANYWHERE before about 10.30 to 11.00 am, because of having frequent URGENT trips to the loo which just cannot be ignored!! So for instance, if we had tried to book a nice long day out previously, that now has to be completely forgotten about. This is such a nuisance - lovely, long days out (or travelling ANYWHERE before about 11 am) are totally out of the question now. Oh how life has changed!! Anyone else have similar problems?

DaisyAnneReturns Tue 02-Jan-24 21:02:26

jo1book

have just ordered some Kafir on my next shop. Is it any good?
What are inflammatory foods? Have a real problem with garlic.

Garlic is very high in FODMAP (fermentable sugars) as are onions.

LizzieDrip Tue 02-Jan-24 20:14:25

I would advise anyone with urgency issues to take kefir sparingly! I really like it but it makes me run to the loo and certainly ‘clears out the bowel’ if you know what I mean! I always turn to it if I’m constipated - works a treat, but I’d be wary if you already have some urgency issues.

MissInterpreted Tue 02-Jan-24 18:56:55

I was advised by my consultant to avoid aloe vera as he said it was very irritating to the colon.

silverlining48 Tue 02-Jan-24 18:52:05

Has anyone been prescribed with budesonide ? Did it help?

NanaTuesday Tue 02-Jan-24 18:25:13

I would just like to add that my IBS is also stress related & after a flare up I feel worn out & whatever I had planned is off the cards as I need to recover & recharge . So it has a direct impact on my life .

NanaTuesday Tue 02-Jan-24 18:18:08

cheneslieges132
Oh my word , how I sympathise with you . I have suffered for 30plus years with IBS ,which went totally undiagnosed for many many years .When it first reared its ugly presence I used Imodium not knowing the true nature of the beast . Mine is stress related though is brought on with eating of different foods , Soya for one which is in ice cream ,chocolate & gravy granules for a start .
Anyway , I was prescribed medication which alas was no good for me due to the very nature of how quickly an episode would come on .
One time quite a few years ago I walked home from my Son’s house across the local playing field after having had a sip of “ Cherry Coke “ that’s the one & only time I tried that ! How I managed to walk home in broad daylight !!
Another time 2 years ago in Cornwall on holiday with my 3 little grandchildren as we left our accommodation I popped one of their sweets into my mouth … well my husband had to find a washroom pretty damn quick is all I can say & then I had to phone him & get one of the girls to bring me a change of clothes ,poor girls will never forget that occurrence . Luckily as we were headed to the beach there was a few bits but we headed fora retail outlet afterwards as well . I do always try to have spare clothes with me .

So it’s not a nice thing & can be controlled ,contained 50-60% of the time but that’s not a given . It can happen wherever you are & once I need to go there is unfortunately no coming back .
I’m quite interested in some of the replies to your post .
On another note , I had cause to be under the investigation of a Professor at Addenbrooks Hospital who had written papers on IBS ( due to a workplace tribunal) he was very thorough & went through my entire history not just medical & advised amongst other things that fibre was the biggest culprit for me .
Ironically, my GP had advised eating more fibre , I’ve never been back to my GP for this had no follow up just try to self manage but like I say it’s not easy as that .

annodomini Tue 02-Jan-24 18:16:43

It's a long time since my diverticulitis (or more likely diverticulosis) was diagnosed.

Years ago, I had the diagnosis but until recently the diverticulitis didn't cause the morning 'trots'. I'm not a morning person and it's annoying to have to get up early so that I can safely go out for an appointment before 10.30. As to what is the most aggravating food: I seem to react quite badly if I have more than a small portion of broccoli and I simply have to avoid spinach.

Oldnproud Tue 02-Jan-24 17:50:30

ladycatlover

Can I just point out that Diverticulosis (which OP has) is a different condition to IBS and other conditions mentioned in this thread. So it's hardly surprising different medications are suggested, and others are suggested not to use.

For years I thought I had IBS, but then got diagnosed with diverticulitis when on holiday with my DD in London. The nature of abdominal pain I had then matched the pain I had when I thought I had IBS.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but different gut probs can have different causes, and these need to be looked at by a medical professional to find out what problem it actually is for an individual. Different diagnosis can mean different treatment.

Well said.

Esmay Tue 02-Jan-24 17:43:31

I've had IBS for fifty years .
Sometimes it's OK and doesn't really bother me .
But when it does -going out can be nightmare .
I get the urge to go to the loo and I can't hold it .
I always locate loos , which are close by and carry babywipes , a change of clothing plus a scent spray .
Yesterday , I had an attack when out shopping in M and S .
Today , my stomach is achy and I've had to rush to the loo several times .
Unfortunately , IBS , diverticulitis and Crohns runs in my Welsh family though they seem to be extremely robust .
Several of my older relatives have had colostomies and ileostomies .

My neighbour collapsed a few months ago with diverticulitis and adhesions - now she has an irreversible colostomy . She was so healthy and energetic before .

I don't know what the answer is :
no stress , no tiredness , regular small meals , avoiding foods that trigger it off .
I take Mebeverene to control it . It helps , but it doesn't cure it .

knspol Tue 02-Jan-24 17:23:20

Sparklefizz Apologies if not clear, I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and have even been hospitalised with it but I have never told a doctor about the morning dashes to the loo and how they affect my life. When I have an outbreak I speak to the GP about the pain etc but don't mention the rest as don't want another colonoscopy.

NanKate Sat 30-Dec-23 21:34:23

This is slightly off piste but may be of use to others. I have diverticular problems and always check out where local loos are in case I need them urgently.

My friend suggested I buy a radar key online, this will get me into any locked accessible toilet. I bought the more expensive one as it is supposed to be easier to use for anyone with arthritic hands. Two of these keys from Amazon (or other distributors) cost £13.50

I also have the app on my mobile called Toilet Finder which shows a map of where you are and all the loos.

Sparklefizz Sat 30-Dec-23 18:16:23

knspol and anyone who hasn't got a diagnosis - Take a look at the symptoms of EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) because this may be your problem and can be very easily treated. It means the pancreas has stopped making digestive enzymes so you food can pass straight through you. I have it myself and also run an online support group. Many doctors know nothing about EPI so may not offer an easy stool test. Replacement enzymes can be prescribed.

knspol Sat 30-Dec-23 13:26:40

Cheneslieges132 I am exactly the same as you describe. If I have to go for an early morning appointment then the only way I can get there is to get up around 6am to give myself lots of bathroom time and to take a couple ( at least) of Imodium. I've never talked to a doctor about this but it has had a real impact on things like holidays with my late DH having to be very patient as I get ready to go out somewhere and then suddenly have to dash to the loo and then wait a while to see if I might need to repeat. Now I'm on my own I'm put off the idea of any sort of group singles holiday in case I can't make any of the organised outings. I do have a Kefir drink every day and also take Fybogel but no improvement.

jason777 Tue 11-Jul-23 18:59:25

Thanks for the replies. I tried kefir last week and i kinda liked it. I have also been using aloe vera now for a few weeks. That has helped quite a bit. A little expensive in the long term. I went with juice first but decided to go for capsules. It takes a while for it to start to work. There is an english chap that has a very good article online that speaks about this. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

www.aloeride.com/news-on-how-to-help-diverticulitis-yourself/

I will keep on trying this. So far, I haven't gotten any side-effects... time will tell though...

Primrose53 Fri 30-Jun-23 21:16:46

jo1book

Last year I kept reading about how good kefir is. I bought some and rather liked it. I used to drink it many, many years ago when I worked with Asian girls who drank it a lot.

After a few days i developed a very upset stomach though and was running to the loo. I guessed it was the kefir so stopped it for a few weeks and was fine. Went back on it and back came the upset stomach, diarrhoea and running to the loo so it’s not for me! It must be the fermentation.

MerylStreep Fri 30-Jun-23 21:03:34

As you have had a diverticulitis diagnosis you know what’s happening.
Once I understood what happened in the pouches I cut out all seeds and pips. I’ve never looked back, fingers crossed 😊
I do know how bad it can get. I was taken to hospital by ambulance once in the throes of an attack 😟

jason777 Fri 30-Jun-23 20:53:01

Living with mild Diverticulitis for the past two years has changed my life. One challenge I face is the need to be near a restroom every morning between 10:30 and 11:00 am. It's frustrating because it limits my travel options. Can anyone relate?

If you're in a similar situation, I want to share natural remedies that helped me regain control. Aloe vera is a great option. It soothes inflammation in the digestive tract and comes in juice, gel, or capsule form for easy use.

CelestineSmith Mon 18-May-20 16:28:02

I have the same problem but the GP prescribed Fyb drink which I take daily. It seems to help. I only occasionally have problems now. You can buy it over the counter. Or you can visit them online
mcbdoilamazing.co.uk/

Megs36 Fri 21-Feb-20 12:48:18

Thank you, scary!!

Aglassofroseplease Fri 21-Feb-20 11:55:39

Megs36, sorry I didn’t mean to confuse with acronyms. GORD is Gastro oesophageal reflux disease.

Jolbook
inflammatory foods cause inflammation in the body.
I got this list off the healthline website, which I find is a very informative site.
inflammatory foods
* Sugar and High-Fructose Corn Syrup.
* Artificial Trans Fats. ...
* Vegetable and Seed Oils.
* Refined Carbohydrates
* Excessive Alcohol
* Processed Meat.
Anything overly processed basically

Kefir is lovely -it’s like a natural yogurt drink but slightly fizzy - Yeo does it, and you can find it most big supermarkets, or if you have a polish shop near you, they do it and it’s cheaper

Megs36 Tue 18-Feb-20 15:49:24

Really ignorant, but what is GORD?

jo1book Tue 18-Feb-20 14:59:37

Megs36 Tue 18-Feb-20 14:42:54

incontinence notI continence.

Megs36 Tue 18-Feb-20 14:41:39

Me too cheneslieges, although no real medical problem to cause it.worried if social occasions start early?and have to think ahead if invited out anywhere over night for the next day. I know Dr Google is not approved by many but I have had some useful information (faecal I continence). Really interesting to know how common the problem is and more women than men, although my old dad was the same and I really didn’t realise how embarrassed he must have been at the time. I find some othe pelvic floor exercises on the internet quite helpful.Bestwishes.

Aglassofroseplease Sun 09-Feb-20 16:57:16

This is me! I have bowel urgency and didn’t know what it was or why it happens and was too embarrassed to mention it to anyone. I was diagnosed with mild diverticulosis ten or more years ago and have IBS for as long as I can remember. My whole digestive system seems to be in disarray as I was diagnosed a year ago with GORD and a hiatus hernia too.

I just put it down to always having trouble with my bowels for as long as I can remember, and my being a bit sensitive to certain foods like wheat, sugar and yeasty things and overly processed foods.

I take a daily probiotic, eat plenty of live yogurt and drink kefir I’m careful what I eat and how much I eat too. I read about inflammatory and anti inflammatory foods and try to avoid foods that can add to inflammation in my system.