Gransnet forums

Health

Sleeplessness

(149 Posts)
Nonnie Mon 03-Sep-18 15:42:52

Does anyone have a cure? Tried over the counter meds but they make me feel awful next day. Tried warm milk and various things before bed but they don't work. I have a bedtime routine, I don't have a TV in the bedroom and don't look at PC or phone before bed. I feel very tired so don't see the point in getting up and doing something to tire myself out. I never nap in the daytime and suffer the same if I have had a quiet day, a busy day or a physically demanding day. When I finally get to sleep, sometimes as late as 5 am, I sleep soundly, it is getting to sleep that is the problem. After about 5 days of this I finally get a good night's sleep but then it all starts again.

tessavgon Thu 28-May-20 06:47:41

Well....I was also struggling with sleeplessness. But two habits has made a significant change in that situation. I started exercising daily and when going to bed I read any books.
Lol....I will fell asleep after reading at least 5 pages of any book.

SeraphinaPerkins Mon 18-May-20 04:32:36

Hope you found an effective cure. I used to have a sleeping problem too, but thankfully, with the help of the sound bath sessions from my best friend who completed this gong bath training before, I’ve never been great. I can now sleep much much better. Not saying this is the best or suitable treatment for everyone, but it was for me.

janeainsworth Tue 09-Oct-18 15:12:34

Just reporting back.
I tried the ThisWorks pillow spray, started 4 weeks ago.
Since then I’ve had only one night when I couldn’t sleep and that was because MrA had annoyed me about something. grin
Placebo? Maybe. But we’re travelling and I’ve slept in several different beds, which usually unsettles me but this time I’ve slept well.
But it smells lovely. I feel better than I’ve done for a long time.

gardenoma Mon 24-Sep-18 13:51:46

I haven't looked through all of the 6 previous pages of replies so this might already have been mentioned but I use 'Headspace' its a website but has an app too. Quite a lot of the stuff is free but I bit the bullet and joined. So far his guided sleep pack meditation is the only thing which helps me! Not an instant cure though but wouldn't be without it now. Btw definitely down to earth stuff and not at all floaty

Nonnie Sat 22-Sep-18 17:14:55

Got the headphones working and have now tried everything from soothing music to talking books and nothing has helped. One night I listened to two talking books and a load of music before ditching the headphones as they were getting uncomfortable. Ben very, very busy for the last 2 weeks and it has made no difference. Coming week is looking pretty quiet so hoping that doing very little will work better than doing too much!

grannyqueenie Sat 22-Sep-18 16:44:34

rowarthmichael I think most folk who struggle with sleepless nights know how just detrimental it can be to functioning in everyday life. But I don’t think finding a solution is quite as easy as you seem to suggest. While your useful tips are good advice and can help, many of us have tried them all and are still not consistently sleeping well. Sadly it’s not a straightforward issue to solve and most GP’s have little to offer.

Sparklefizz Thu 20-Sep-18 15:58:45

I am using Paul McKenna's "I can make you Sleep" which is a book + CD, which someone mentioned earlier. It really does seem to be helping, and if/when I wake up in the night, I put on the CD again to help me drift off. There are some very helpful suggestions in the book.

Rowarthmichael Thu 20-Sep-18 13:01:48

Lack of sleep is not good for your physical as well as mental health. I think there must be something wrong with your lifestyle. May be you are not following a healthy diet or anything else. If not so try yoga or meditation as it will help to relax your mind. Make sure that your mind is free from any stress before you sleep. You can hear some light music, read any good book before sleep time. I am sure following a good lifestyle and these tips will help you. If you are having some sleep disorder then you must visit a doctor.

Billybob4491 Mon 17-Sep-18 16:53:29

Yes there is Fennel, its a mine of wisdom.

Fennel Mon 17-Sep-18 09:50:19

I didn't know that one Billybob . There's something in the Bible to help with most problems.

grannyqueenie Sun 16-Sep-18 18:35:12

billybob ?

Billybob4491 Sun 16-Sep-18 18:22:44

grannyqueenie - Psalm 23 is usually read out at funerals, all we are trying to do is get a nights sleep! grin

Lynne59 Sun 16-Sep-18 17:36:44

I have trouble getting to sleep, then I wake up at the slightest sound. I've tried all the things you mention, but I find that I sleep better lately when I've been to Zumba (3 evenings a week)

grannyqueenie Sun 16-Sep-18 17:32:24

Psalm 23 is a favourite for me. I remember it better in the metric version of my childhood but if I start singing out loud I won’t be the only one awake!

Billybob4491 Sun 16-Sep-18 16:52:35

Fennel - try Proverbs 3:24 that's my favourite!

ShewhomustbeEbayed Sun 16-Sep-18 11:29:37

Fast asleep, wide awake a book by Dr Nerina Ramlakhan is supposed to help sleep by looking at what happens during the day too.

BBbevan Mon 10-Sep-18 13:12:38

DD has just recommended guided meditation . She says she accesses it through her phone or iPad and invariably falls asleep before the end.

Nonnie Mon 10-Sep-18 09:30:38

Tried the talking books but my phone has decided it doesn't accept the headphones! Android phone, same as DH's and in his case just plug them in, in mine, the sound still comes out the phone. Might download onto his and use it until I have time to sort out the phone.

BBbevan Mon 10-Sep-18 04:13:09

That is very soothing. Thank you Fennel
As you. can see from the time I am wide awake. I have had 2 good nights, one with herbal sleeping pills. Probably have a good sleep to night as long as I keep busy all day.

Fennel Sun 09-Sep-18 19:23:02

ps forgot the link:
www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+91&version=NIV

Fennel Sun 09-Sep-18 19:21:48

For those who are religious, this psalm might help:
Psalm 91
One of my favourites.

Pollaidh Sun 09-Sep-18 13:04:40

www.oldrids.co.uk/roberts-pt9918-pillow-talk-portable-speaker/p15567?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgK29tvCt3QIV6p3tCh2lYgZhEAQYAyABEgJVKPD_BwE

The Roberts pillow talk speaker is brilliant to listen to without disturbing OH

Pollaidh Sun 09-Sep-18 13:00:55

I just thought of something else! Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, whether or not you have slept. If I am up really late past my 10.30 bed time, I will get a second wind and not get to sleep at all. Also, in the morning, go out into the daylight early. That's a tip from Dr Chatterjee: drchatterjee.com/4tipsforsleep/

Pollaidh Sun 09-Sep-18 12:56:20

Hi Nonnie
I do hope the talking books work. I have found there are three conditions for me to sleep well. The first is not to eat after 7.30 pm. Ideally, I eat my last meal at 6.30 and nothing at all to eat after that. The second is to drop off listening to the radio. We have a snooze button so I can set it for an hour or so, settle down and try to focus on book at bedtime or whatever (always voice, never music!) and this cuts all the other voices out of my head so even if I am really enjoying the story, I am off before it finishes. The third is complete darkness. I mean complete. No lights from phone screen or anything. My OH laughs at me when we stay in hotels and I go to great lengths to get rid of the little red light on the TV. Hope you get there!

MissAdventure Sun 09-Sep-18 12:50:40

What a shame, Nonnie.
Hopefully the books might do the trick.
Its so frustrating, trying to get through the day when you've barely slept.