Gransnet forums

Health

The Black Dog Gang

(1001 Posts)
oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 13:15:37

Come on board if you feel like or if you are working your way out of it.

Its such a rotten, lonely thing. Perhaps we can support each other here.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 09:03:14

Thank you. I feel so stupid getting into a panic , four workmen walking through living room to the kitchen then back through living room through out the day was too much, not use to people in the bungalow.

eilyann Tue 09-Apr-19 09:30:12

Annie I can imagine - the bungalow is your 'safe place'. Glad it's been clarified.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 10:05:03

Yes eilyann, you are so right. I have no problem when volunteers work in my garden, I chat to them, no problem with new garden fencing being erected later this month, but in my bungalow? Even having the meters read sets me off.

Need to overcome this.

Joce345 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:24:29

I have something like this Annie, mine happens if I am going away say on holiday, I am always Ill I am not so bad when I get there but the build up is horibill. I think I can understand where you are coming from, but think it must be more so for you, you are in your own save place. My home is the only place I really feel safe.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 15:50:43

Is this recent Joce.? For me it’s been nearly two years . I have such longing to get back to the coast , be near the sea again. I can’t believe this has happened to me. Was active in the community, would drive anywhere, I have climbed Snowdon, chaired bible study groups, helped in a drop in centre for people with mental health problems , now the garden path is a challenge.

Proof it can strike anyone at any time.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Apr-19 16:03:07

Annie there must be a way to get you back there. Is it belief in yourself? I understand the traumas you have had but as a once strong woman there must be a way.
I really hope so.
I was away recently at my daughters and had a couple of panic attacks in the night and longed for my home where I feel safest. I have no idea why.

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 16:10:53

It's horrible all this. With me it's health anxiety. I can't function properly as I'm constantly waiting for a stroke or heart attack. What on earth has happened to me? flowers for all of you.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 17:29:31

Dragonfly, I think it’s loss of trust, i remember my father saying ‘Annie wouldn’t know she was in a war zone untill she was shot’, he was referring to me having so much trust ?

Katy such fear , and not helped by gloom and doom in the media, constant health warning,

To all with fears , when I was working in the Drop In centre a psychologist held a group session, he said ‘think your fear through step by step and find an answer at each step. Those present found this so difficult but some managed it. Perhaps I should do this .

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 17:50:13

Thank you Annie

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Apr-19 18:53:48

Trust is a hard thing to get back when you have lost it Annie. I do believe in confronting your fear though so maybe give it a try. I am very good at thinking what if and then coming up with a solution. Of course generally things are never so bad. At the moment, however, I am finding it easier to bury my head in the sand and pretend things are not happening as I cannot work out a solution over which I have control.
KatyK worrying about your health if you do not yet have a diagnosis is a tricky one because you are worrying about something that may never happen. Have you been to your GP for anxiety? We have a very sympathetic GP who has given me coping mechanisms in the past. I will give her a visit when things get too much.

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 19:33:44

dragonfly there is nothing wrong with me, that is what's so ridiculous. Goodness me compared to many on here I have no problems at all. GP took my blood pressure and it was high and now every time I have it taken I panic and it goes through the roof and I'm scared it will kill me. How pathetic am I? My poor DH is in remission from cancer and there's never been a complaint from him. It's acute anxiety I believe due to difficult life events. I'm sure it will right itself eventi. I apologise to those of you who have real problems.

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 19:34:32

Eventually not eventi.

dragonfly46 Tue 09-Apr-19 20:31:34

No need to apologise Katy your fears are just as valid as anybody else’s.

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 20:32:29

Bless you dragonfly

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 20:35:15

Katy ‘white coat syndrome ‘ so many suffer with it .

I was thinking early this evening of ‘Pooh Bear’ , not losing the plot honestly. With my daughters when younger and grandchildren when they got into tiz over exams and all the things youngsters get worked up about ‘ what if I fail’, what I forget my lines etc, I use to remind them of Pooh and Piglet
In a wood during a storm,

Piglet - what if a tree falls ?

Pooh - what if it doesn’t?

We have so many ‘what if’s’ when we have anxiety don’t we?

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 20:39:56

Fears and phobias are not ridiculous, your fear Katy is equal to mine not less . Please don’t apologise for it , you didn’t choose it x

KatyK Tue 09-Apr-19 21:04:02

Thank you. What lovely people you are.

Anniebach Tue 09-Apr-19 22:09:42

Hugs x

Joce345 Wed 10-Apr-19 19:50:07

No Annie I have had it for a really long time, my husband love going on holiday. I know how lucky I am but I really struggle leaving my home/ safe place.. I love the sea and sun and it does do me good yet I still struggle when we go..
Katy I have HA very bad and I feel really guilty for it but I just can’t stop no matter how I try.. think it’s something we do have to try and live with.. it’s the horrible fear all day every day. Doctors just don’t understand well mine doesn’t seem to.. now I don’t ever want to go the last time I went she was pulling faces behind my back, I saw her though the glass .

KatyK Wed 10-Apr-19 20:22:12

Oh joce how unkind and unfair of your GP. Mine was kind but exasperated when my BP shot up. This is new for me and it's awful isn't it? I feel for you and anyone else suffering. I have been anxious since childhood but the last few months it has been horrendous. Some days I think I'm going mad. Keep going.

Anniebach Wed 10-Apr-19 21:40:24

Joce how cruel of the GP, can you see another doctor?
You have much anxiety to cope with, are you taking medication?

Katy you were an anxious child ? has the anxiety stayed with you through adulthood?

When I was trying to decide to see the EMDR therapist I didn’t know I a thing about it and asked on this forum, I can’t recall who but someone said she had EFT and it helped her . Have you considered anything like this ?

Joce345 Wed 10-Apr-19 22:40:51

Annie I have lost all faith in my GP of late, yes I take fluoxetine have done for a few year now, I’ve seen councillors .. it if a very strange thing HA.. I can be ok plodding along then I may get a pain or just a spot and boom it’s the worst thing. It’s always cancer and the fear it’s so bad.. I have even tried hypnosis not sure of spelling . Nothing helps me. I cannot tell you how much I try it’s so hard.. I do have B12 and I don’t think that helps it goes hand in hand with anxiety and depression so they tell me.. it help so much to know I am not on my own and can come on here to talk... thank you all it really does help .

KatyK Wed 10-Apr-19 23:09:52

Yes an anxious child Annie. Frightened every day.

KatyK Thu 11-Apr-19 09:51:52

What is EFT and EMDR?

Anniebach Thu 11-Apr-19 10:05:47

Katy. EMDR, is difficult to explain, it was recommended to me by the local MIND, it’s used to treat post traumatic stress and things from the past which is the root of anxiety,

EFT is tapping therapy, a lot of people have this treatment

I don’t know how to post links sorry . Wonder if I can find the thread on EMDR, a poster said EFT. had been most helpful, I will get back to you, have therapy this morning so will look after that x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion