Gransnet forums

Health

The Black Dog Gang

(1001 Posts)
oldbatty Sun 16-Sep-18 13:15:37

Come on board if you feel like or if you are working your way out of it.

Its such a rotten, lonely thing. Perhaps we can support each other here.

Anniebach Wed 17-Apr-19 08:43:28

Merelina I don’t know anything about that medication but there are some of us here who take medication, please stay, someone may have experience of it and we will listen x

Merelina Wed 17-Apr-19 08:02:49

Has anyone tried Mirtazapine? If so did it help and how much did you take daily. My doctor has suggested it, I hate taking pills but am in a situation looking after infirm husband that is leaving me struggling. I know I am not alone and many with worse manage.

Joce345 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:11:10

Rose I wish with all my heart I could stop this horrible horrible suffering for myself and others on hear.. if you know of any thing that will help us please share it with us.. but don’t say we choose to be like it, not all in any way do we not try every day to stop it

humptydumpty Tue 16-Apr-19 10:49:15

Both my DD and myself suffer from lifelong intermittent depression. I remind her that you have felt like this before and come out the other end, you need to tell yourself that at the darkest moments, difficult though it is.

Gonegirl Tue 16-Apr-19 10:41:55

No rosecarmel. The only (and probably the best) thing you can do when depression strikes, is to allow yourself to bump along the bottom for a bit. And hope you soon surface.

There is no decision making involved.

Lily65 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:33:40

rose, you are correct in saying depression affects the decision making process, brain fog/lethargy/low motivation/difficulty making decisions/easily overwhelmed.......so far so good.

If only there were a magic button that the depressed person could press to end this. Of course nobody chooses to have it or to prolong it.

Nobody chooses to be diabetic, have cancer, have depression.

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-19 10:00:19

Please don’t let outdated comments such as ‘a person can choose to be depressed or not’ trouble anyone,

it is not true

KatyK Tue 16-Apr-19 09:54:44

Doodle Thank you. I do take it myself but if I am anxious it still goes sky high. rose a person can choose whether to be depressed or not Wow. I'm gobsmacked at your comment.

dragonfly46 Tue 16-Apr-19 06:58:57

rose that may be one reason for depression but chemical imbalances, serious illnesses etc cannot be worked through. You cannot choose to be depressed or not. You obviously have never suffered true depression.

rosecarmel Tue 16-Apr-19 05:13:51

I think that certain facets of depression depend upon and/or are connected to the decision making process - Some people can and do decide to work their way through it and out the other side- So, in essence, a person can choose to be depressed or not -

Doodle Mon 15-Apr-19 20:42:23

Another one here suffering anxiety for as long as I can remember. I’m not too fussed about myself (probably as I think I’m reasonably healthy) but have a dread of my children and DGC being unhappy for any reason. I am not aware that loneliness was an issue for me in childhood (not many friends but I don’t remember it bothering me) but I can’t bear the thought of others being lonely. I have panic attacks too and no matter how I try to control it my mind insists I concentrate on the issue and worry it to death.
katy my DH has white coat hypertension and this has caused many a problem on hospital visits. He now has his own blood pressure monitor and takes his own readings in a relaxed atmosphere at home. He then sends his readings to the GP who puts them on the computer as home readings. There are many, many people who suffer from this it is a known thing but taking your own readings might be of help.

Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 20:11:52

Yes Joce, it is true, since the year dot, people with mental
health problems have heard ‘what have you got to be depressed about’, ‘pull yourself together’ ‘stop dwelling on things’, etc

Fighting depression, struggling with anxiety are not choices
and to keep battling them every day takes strength

Joce345 Mon 15-Apr-19 17:39:22

Lovely words Annie and so very true ..

KatyK Sun 14-Apr-19 10:29:31

Thank you Annie. How kind you are.

Anniebach Sun 14-Apr-19 10:20:33

Katy we think we are weak when we feel we are cracking up but we are strong because we muddle through x

I have been thinking of you being anxious since childhood, I think I understand a little more now, I read one of your posts. We will listen x

Anniebach Sun 14-Apr-19 10:15:07

I will not mention windows except to say after all the upset I am free to choose when within three years I want them fitted, health grounds .

Dragonfly , I freed my house of evil cleaning products some years ago, we don’t need them. So many natural products we can use.

I will be lonely over Easter, my two grandchildren and son in law are going to Cornwall to see my elder granddaughter, I know I will receive photographs of them all together which is lovely but also causes a longing.

KatyK Sun 14-Apr-19 10:04:08

I'm feeling a bit less like I'm cracking up. I hope you are all doing OK. Your support is invaluable.

dragonfly46 Sun 14-Apr-19 09:36:16

Well it is Sunday again - the worst day of the week for me and I have no idea why but I am trying to plan things to do so I don't sit and brood.
Clearing my house at the moment of evil cleaning products - just been reading how carcinogenic they are and how they can prevent my medication from working so that is a challenge.

Trying not to think about the fact that I am not seeing any of the DC for Easter. I haven't seen the GC since Christmas but I expect they are busy.

How is everybody else doing?

Anniebach Sun 14-Apr-19 09:23:17

How are we all ?

Anniebach Thu 11-Apr-19 10:28:48

Thank you, x

KatyK Thu 11-Apr-19 10:25:52

Good luck with your therapy.

KatyK Thu 11-Apr-19 10:25:14

Thank you but I'll find it.

Anniebach Thu 11-Apr-19 10:21:06

If you can’t find it I will look later x

KatyK Thu 11-Apr-19 10:11:01

OK Annie Thank you.

Anniebach Thu 11-Apr-19 10:08:58

Katy I just looked for the thread, put EMDR in the search box and the thread is still there x

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion