Gransnet forums

Health

Is husband doing too much?

(44 Posts)
annep Fri 12-Oct-18 17:59:52

twice this week my husband has sawn wood until sweat is literally dripping from his face. He is 68 This scares me. He says he is alright, it was only 20 minutes or so. Is it ok for him to do that? any opinions welcome. thanks

FlexibleFriend Fri 12-Oct-18 18:43:57

I can't see the problem, it's unseasonably warm and he was exerting himself so it's highly probable he'd be sweating. Was he breathless? or feel light headed? If not then his reaction was normal.

J52 Fri 12-Oct-18 18:44:10

Unless he has underlying health issues, it sounds like ok exercise.
My DH same age with no health issues does high cardiac exercise for at least an hour, 5 days a week. Keeps him fit.

M0nica Fri 12-Oct-18 18:56:15

I would say that it is probably good for him. I agree with J52

MissAdventure Fri 12-Oct-18 19:09:34

I think its advised to exercise until breathless.
Not that I'm any expert on the matter.

Jalima1108 Fri 12-Oct-18 19:38:28

It was unseasonably warm this week.
I dressed for autumn, walked uphill and felt uncomfortably hot and was 'glowing'.

Jalima1108 Fri 12-Oct-18 19:38:58

ps I am older than your DH

annep Fri 12-Oct-18 20:31:38

Oh good, thanks everyone. A bit out of breath with effort but perfectly ok. On pills for high blood pressure for years but under control.. I'm such a worrier. Lot of heart disease in my family and I have no idea of what's normal. But I can relax now. thanks.

paddyann Fri 12-Oct-18 22:39:09

I understand where you're coming from,after my OH had heart attacks he insisted on going back to work within 3 weeks,then he was up a ladder trimming trees that were 15 feet high.I was worried sick .HE said he felt invincible because he had come through 3 heart attacks (2 he didn't realise he'd had until no 3) and felt well.That only lasted for a few months when he started to stress about things and joined a gym so he didn't do too much.
He hasn't changed, he does things a man half his age would find hard work but says its all good for his heart ! If your OH feels well and doesn't get stress pains etc I'd let him get on with it,he knows his body best

Farmor15 Fri 12-Oct-18 22:39:44

On Wednesday my 68 year old husband was up a ladder with a chainsaw cutting the top off a too -high hedge. I was at the bottom assisting. He’s not particularly fit but does quite a lot in the garden when he’s in the humour. I’d prefer he was sweating sawing wood than sitting at computer - healthier too.

gillybob Fri 12-Oct-18 23:23:42

I can sympathise/empathise with you annep and paddyann. My DH is 67 and is currently working a 14-16 hour day, 7 day week in a very physical job role. He had a stroke in March and has several other serious medical conditions . He does it because he has to (we have contracts to fulfill ) not because he is trying to prove a point or to be clever . I have never wished harder for a lottery win or a minor miracle that will enable him/us to stop and get off this horrible treadmill of life.

merlotgran Fri 12-Oct-18 23:31:19

It's tricky when the weather is unseasonably warm to judge whether someone is over exerting themselves.

DH was really ill earlier this year but has gradually recovered to his normal fitness for his age. I worry when he huffs and puffs and sinks into a chair looking hot and bothered but I have to tell myself he's been working outside sawing logs, trimming hedges etc., so it's to be expected.

Plus the fact he's from Yorkshire and they don't do heat! grin

annep Fri 12-Oct-18 23:48:48

Paddyann it must be difficult for you to not worry. But my dad always told my mum he preferred to be happy doing what he enjoyed. Its good that he has joined a gym, much more sensible. And yes, better than sitting at the computer.*Farmor*.
Gillybob I'm sorry to hear your circumstances. It sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I do hope you manage to find some way to change things because it sounds like you have no life at the minute.

BBbevan Sat 13-Oct-18 14:31:24

annep My DH is 73,. Most days he works on the house and garden, chops wood etc. His arthritis is a little troublesome at times, but he will not stop. Better that than sitting, staring at the television all day. Let your DH do what he feels he can. Only rule I have is that he finishes by 4o'clock so we can have some time together

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-Oct-18 14:37:43

annep, my 68 yr old husband is currently dismantling all the fitted furniture in our bedroom (solid wood) carting it downstairs through the house into the front garden ready for himself to take to the tip.

annep Sat 13-Oct-18 15:53:46

Goodness I feel so silly now but you've put my mind at rest everyone.?

annep Sat 13-Oct-18 15:54:19

thank you all!

Jalima1108 Sat 13-Oct-18 16:04:05

DH gets very cross with me if I remind him of his age - he's often to be found digging the garden, chopping branches etc (at present he's out in the gale vacuuming up leaves) and he makes your DH sound like a spring chicken annep!

annep Sat 13-Oct-18 16:17:09

I think it annoys my husband too Jalima if I mention age. Men are so proud. My husband slipped on a ladder whilst trimming branches. He was fine but I do get concerned about what he will do when I am out But after reading this post I will leave him be.

Saggi Sun 14-Oct-18 09:36:00

Husband doing work !! don’t try to stop him annep....send him to me. I do everything necessary to keep my home going...and I MEAN everything...be thankful you’ve got a man in your life that thinks heavy work is his job.!!!

Patticake123 Sun 14-Oct-18 09:41:08

You’ve received some very reassuring answers here Annep which I hope help to reassure you. Yesterday was extremely warm and windy where we live and as we worked in the garden we heard a noise next door and there was our 86 year old neighbour, yes, 86 that is not a typo, up a ladder, climbing an enormous tree with the aim of cutting a dead branch off. I don’t know about his health being in danger but me, my other half and our neighbour’s wife all almost had heart attacks! The good news? He removed the branch, crawled back to the ladder and calmly came back to Earth wondering what we were all fussing about.

4allweknow Sun 14-Oct-18 10:03:56

Take it your DH doesnt normally sweat on exertion that you are worried about this. My DH is a profuse sweater, has been all the years I have known him, 53. Drs all say some people sweat, some don't when doing strenuous work but nothing wrong. As long as your DH is enjoying what he is doing then let him - he will know his limits.

Brigidsdaughter Sun 14-Oct-18 10:14:59

gillybob my heart goes out to you. I hope life quietsns when that contract is sorted ?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 14-Oct-18 10:15:57

My OH is 71 and everyday is either running, cycling, going to pilates classes or chopping vast amounts of wood. He nearly dies 15 years ago from kidney problems and resulting blood clots in the lungs. He was told that he was lucky he was so active it was because of that he made a good recovery. So I would say, no chest pains or breathlessness then let it be. The sweating, well some sweat more than others, my son is a prime example.

annep Sun 14-Oct-18 10:32:43

He does normally sweat like this forallweknow. It always alarmed me, but I didn't have Gransnet. (I'm so glad I found it.) So thanks for the information.
Patticake that is funny ? and Saggi at least you are independent - not a bad thing. My first husband was useless. First thing I did when I had my own house was buy a toolbox and fill it. It felt good. But yes I am grateful.