Gransnet forums

Health

Does anyone do tai chi?

(49 Posts)
petitpois Tue 06-Nov-18 10:40:05

I've been reading the Gransnet page on this and am tempted to give it a go. Does anyone here do it? It it easy to get started with? I don't want to look like an idiot. blush How soon before you start seeing the benefits?

Nannylynn63 Thu 08-Nov-18 08:40:27

I would definitely advise you to have a go. I have Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. My consultant said tai chi would help with my balance, co ordination, memory, poor walking, and muscle rigidity. It definitely helps with all this but it cheers me up and makes me feel like I have regained some control over this disease. I had a go on youtube a few times before I went. Our class is mixed age, mixed ability, some able bodied, some with MS and a couple with Parkinsons. There are two instructors one demonstrating standing and the other doing the sequence sitting. Hope you try it and like as much as I do ?

AllTheLs Thu 08-Nov-18 10:07:25

It's not for everybody, petit pois. I did a ten week class but didn't like it. I kept wondering why it didn't hurry up and 'get started', I could never remember the order of the moves and spent the class ducking and diving as we were supposed to take turns to 'lead'. Apart from the terror at being asked to 'lead' I found it very boring and never felt any benefit from it at all. But I realise I'm very much in the minority here.

Nanannotgrandma Thu 08-Nov-18 10:13:02

Petit pois I have been doing Tai Chi for around 20 yrs, before and after a hip replacement. I still forget the moves but it is a lovely way to excercise and you learn something new every time you have a class. Try the Lee family system if you can it’s more straightforward than some systems (and there are many, all claiming to be the original one in Britain)

Edithb Thu 08-Nov-18 10:21:32

I tried tai chi for a few months but found I couldn’t remember the moves and was quite uncoordinated. It was too slow for me so mistakes were obvious. Now I do ballet (only started at age 65) and a dancing fit class where it doesn’t matter if you go wrong as long as you keep moving.

LJP1 Thu 08-Nov-18 10:44:09

Tai chi does not cause damage to muscles & joints if it is caried out correctly. It can be done sitting down if standing is tiring or difficult.

It is designed to exercise all the body muscles and people often find that they have muscles they did not know about when they start the classes. This will cause aches but are only transient and show fitness is needed for under used muscles.

Give it a try. You should find it helps movement, endurance and agility.

knspol Thu 08-Nov-18 11:31:13

Agree with Morgana, had to stop due to ropey knees.

trisher Thu 08-Nov-18 11:47:54

I love tai-chi but would advise you to look carefully and try a few classes, as the focus and style of teaching can differ so much. I've had 3 different teachers. The first one was OK for a bit but his main interest was the martial arts side, and his teaching style was a bit dictatorial. The second was excellent at first but came under the influence of a new teacher herself and I didn't like the new style. The one I have now is great. He teaches in small chunks, talks you through every move and is very encouraging .
AllThe Ls Lead the class after less than 10 weeks?!!! I've been learning for years and I still couldn't lead anything!!!!

vickya Thu 08-Nov-18 12:48:18

I've been doing it for around 30 years with a variety of teachers. The first was wonderful and the long form Yang style, since various short forms. If you google 24 step Yang style tai chi you want see many videos teaching how to do it. I moved to different places, even Spain, and had teachers in each place. I finally learned the 24 step properly about 3 years ago and can do it by myself now and do the form every day 5 times through.

I am uncoordinated and arthritic and various areas are still or hurt but all feel better during the form. I do a few warming up chi gun too. Some teachers were better and clearer than others, some more spiritual, some better at teaching.

I never liked the little Chinese men who make you do the same first step again all lesson and have a few levels and can't help them at the same time as can't be in 3 places at once smile.

It is relaxing, good for balance and a good work out.

FlorenceFlower Thu 08-Nov-18 13:36:38

I went once and enjoyed it but found the tutor rather stressful. The class encompassed all levels and although it was quite pleasant sitting on the floor while the more experienced people went through their routine, it felt rather ‘them’ and ‘us’.

And the tutor then did the final routine in a HUGE rush while he was guiding us AND changing into his outdoor gear. Not very calming at all!

But have found another class, as I enjoyed the actual movement, and hope to start next week. Different tutor - with hopefully a different style? ?

sandelf Thu 08-Nov-18 14:06:43

It is fab!!! I got into it by chance. I was asked to sit and take the money/tick the register - seemed silly not to join in. I had no ideas about it at all - but straight away the Reynauds in my hands was much less. And it just generally 'makes better'. You do need a calm, quiet place and a competent teacher. I'm not in the area now but Swan Tai Chi in Warwickshire are good. Not got the communal side (joy of knowing 20 people are breathing calmly together smile) but youtube can help.

Patticake123 Thu 08-Nov-18 15:09:31

I did tai chi before I moved home and it’s one of the only things I miss. It definitely improved my spacial awareness and balance but I had difficulty remembering the sequence of moves. Give it a go, it’s great!

blue60 Thu 08-Nov-18 16:21:31

I go to Tai Chi lessons every week. The type I do is 'Qui gong' pronounced Chi gong which is for health. Yes we stand with soft knees, but anyone who has difficulty with this can use a chair and follow the positions while seated.

Initially, I thought it 'wasn't for me' but I'm truly hooked and feel so happy and relaxed after each session.

Our tutor also has a youtube video which we can follow at home as well.

The positions in Qui gong are not related to self defence, they are for gentle exercise. Give it a go anyway and see how you get on.

Catterygirl Thu 08-Nov-18 16:38:05

Definitely give it a go. I decided to try it after breaking my arm and shoulder. I have dodgy knees but have no trouble with the tai chi....possibly it is making the muscles stronger as it seems to be muscle related, rather than bone. We have a big bear of a teacher and he does mention the martial arts but we are a group of oldies and just follow him with warm up exercises and then the form. You feel very calms afterwards and whilst concentrating on the moves, it is difficult to worry about other things.

Grandmama Thu 08-Nov-18 19:02:42

Years ago I went to a Tai Chi class but didn't enjoy it at all, there were lots of 'martial' moves, not at all relaxing. Maybe there are different types of Tai Chi so perhaps best to check first.

JustGrandma Thu 08-Nov-18 22:45:03

I think it can be very beneficial for balance and therefore will help with risk of falls, and it can be very useful in Parkinson's. I appreciate that lots of people enjoy it but I went to a local class a couple of years ago and found it utterly tedious so it's not for me. I find my exercise, peace and meditation in the swimming pool - up and down, head under water and letting my thoughts drift where they want to.

Lilypops Thu 08-Nov-18 23:27:12

Nana Rose , sounds fun , organising myself with pirates!! Did they all look like Johnny Depp, ?!!! Hope so

Shizam Fri 09-Nov-18 00:29:12

I did the short form tai chi course years ago and practised every day. Think it was the reason I got rid of my accursed migraines!

Millie8 Fri 09-Nov-18 09:17:25

I tried it but my coordination is poor and I found it difficult to remember the moves which flowed from one to the other, therefore I didnt enjoy it. I find yoga much better and go to an over 50's session every week which is great, although hard work and we dont get into ridiculous possitions either.! Some of our group are over 80. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

123kitty Fri 09-Nov-18 09:36:17

You need a good teacher. Mine showed us what to do once, then did all the moves with his back to the class, all I saw was an occasional arm waving gently about. So make sure you go to a free trial class before you book a course.

Judy54 Sat 13-Jul-19 14:58:46

I took up Taoist Tai Chi 2 years ago and absolutely love it. It certainly has helped with flexibility and balance. Yes it takes a little while to pick up and when you do it feels so good. Everyone in my class is very supportive and encouraging and we have a break for tea and a chat. A great bonus is I have made new friends ad we meet up outside of class for a coffee and more chat! If you are thinking of giving it a try find a class and style of Tai Chi that feels right for you and enjoy it.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 15:28:38

I used to do it years ago when staying at my D's in Oz where a group of Chinese residents used to start at 7am out on the green and one day I joined in with them and kept it up for the length of my stay----3 months.
Maybe that's why now I don't have aches and pains ?
I had a wonderful time with them and we had good laughs too, especially when I first greeted them-----in Japanese !

justin3 Thu 01-Aug-19 16:09:44

This is a knowledgeable post for me. Yes the warm up sessions can make everything easy and if you skip them, things can be difficult. Well, I am kind of interested in weight loss at the moment and I quite liking the concept of hiking vacation for women. These vacations are jam packed with so much fun, expert’s assistance for the sole purpose of weight loss and high quality food that will be enough to satisfy the taste buds. Actually, my friend has shared her experience with me and I am also going to book the weight loss vacation soon.

Ryandgreat8 Sun 22-Sep-19 08:13:16

The Physiology of tai chi and qi gong

Hey there, that's a great question. There are actually many ways tai chi helps our body in physical and emotional aspect. I am filipino who practice this kind of art for past years ago.

I found a video on YouTube that explains a few simple ways on how to learn the physiology of tai chi and it's advantage in our health and mind.

I've tried many different ways to but this. Here's a Link to a video that gives some great tips.

eunsetee.com/22207669/physiology-of-tai-chi-

Click on that Link above and one you land on the page, click where it says "I am not a robot" and then Continue and Cancel "Ads adfly" you will be redirected to the Youtube video that shows how tai chi benefits and helps our body.