Gransnet forums

Health

anyone else coping with SAD?

(79 Posts)
Ziggy62 Mon 12-Nov-18 13:03:48

I have coped with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) since the early 80's (strangely the only year I had the flu jab). I have lots of gadgets to help including an alarm clock that wakes me gently with a soft light and a light box. I take extra vitamin D and try not to eat too much sugar or carbs. I also make myself go out for a 30minute walk each day. However this last week or 2 I feel SAD is winning and I'm losing the battle . I'm counting the days till Spring returns and sitting with back door open making the most of a fairly bright day

Just wondered if there are many other sufferers on here

Emmaline Tue 18-Dec-18 17:14:23

I have often wondered about how affective a light box is as I suffer from SAD especially at this time of the year.
I find that if I keep most of my lights on it helps plus looking out at whatever there is to look at helps too.

The feeling of wanting to shut oneself away is not the best thing to do .. looking at scenery no matter what it is exercises the eyes and therefore the brain so never underestimate the value of just looking anywhere and/or at anything.

Karanlouise Thu 29-Nov-18 13:17:49

Not confused as such "Oldbatty* but it does take me longer to really wake up in the mornings this winter and I feel a bit like sleep walking for the first hour. Also I often walk into rooms and then can't remember what I went in there for and put things back in the wrong place, like putting the milk in the saucepan cupboard rather than the fridge. smile

oldbatty Thu 29-Nov-18 10:00:58

Does anybody else have " symptoms" of feeling befuddled, confused, losing things?

Wolwol Wed 28-Nov-18 20:34:37

Suspect some of us are supporting others; not the easiest when feeling unwell.

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 12:45:37

Beating up of self does not help. If you can manage some outdoors time, some time under a lamp and some decent food some days ,that's enough.

Karanlouise Wed 28-Nov-18 12:06:39

Completely agree Anniebach and Oldbatty. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to get a grip!! Thanks for link *Oldbatty".

yggdrasil Wed 28-Nov-18 10:50:17

You have reminded me to go and find my SAD light. I needed the motivation.

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 10:16:51

Ha, I like that Annie. Its on a par with " think about poor children and eat all your dinner"

Anniebach Wed 28-Nov-18 10:14:25

Telling those with SAD to get a grip is a daft as telling someone with measles to wash the spots of, and it’s unkind .

oldbatty Wed 28-Nov-18 10:11:08

Greeting Saddos!!!! ( just my silly humour)

Telling somebody to get a grip is pointless and rather rude.

www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/sad-self-help/#.W_5pToH7Szw

I think sometimes its good not to beat yourself up if you don't reach your targets! I try to get out every day but on Sunday I just couldn't. I also eat junk at night Ah well, so be it.

Karanlouise Wed 28-Nov-18 09:17:25

Good morning everyone. Just saying hello and hope you all have a good day.

Karanlouise Mon 26-Nov-18 09:32:02

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok. Welcome to gransnet Wolwol hope light alarm helps. It's cold but bright with blue skies here in Dorset. Hope everyone has a good day.

Wolwol Mon 26-Nov-18 01:48:15

Hi all,

New here, have introduced myself in the cafe.

Lurking on this thread has encouraged me to find the instructions and use my light alarm again - thank you ?

Karanlouise Tue 20-Nov-18 11:16:44

Morning everyone, Wow, "Ziggy62", you are industrious, you definitely deserve to enjoy feeling better, especially after not getting back to sleep in the night. Grey and cold here but going to force myself to wrap up and go for a walk as it's the only exercise I have been doing for the last few weeks. Hope everyone has a good day. sunshineXX

Culag Tue 20-Nov-18 10:49:26

I get very low in the winter and have an alarm light and take Vit D. Also I live in a dark old cottage and have replaced most of my light bulbs with LEDs so I don't feel so guilty leaving the lights on all day. It helps me.

Ziggy62 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:49:23

Good morning all. Not a good night, woke at 1am and didn't go back to sleep till 5am but up at 7 with DH and had washing out by 8am.

Bright day here today, should really force myself out for a walk but gonna get a few things done in the house and just enjoy feeling better today

how is everyone else doing?

Hi to Karanlouise & Apricity xxx

Karanlouise Tue 20-Nov-18 09:31:41

Glad you had a ok weekend Ziggy62. Mine was good too. Sounds like you are taking lots of positive action. Hope everyone has a good day.

Apricity Mon 19-Nov-18 09:15:47

Ziggy, that's a pretty positive post this morning. Sounding as though you are back in control. Well done. ???

Ziggy62 Mon 19-Nov-18 09:09:08

Good morning everyone. Not a bad weekend. Went to charity coffee morning on Saturday but sadly had to cancel planned evening out with in-laws, was just too tired. Went Christmas shopping yesterday with DH, all looked very festive and uplifting. Bought DH a few bits.
Not sleeping well as stupidly worrying about starting new job but thankfully have a bit more time at home yet.
Quite energetic this morning so plan to make some soup and sort out spare room
Hope every one is doing ok today
Oh checked out article about hot baths and strangely, I used to have a lovely hot bath every day and stopped a few months ago, so gonna go back to that and see if it helps. Everything else kind people are suggesting I am already doing (vitamin D, slow waking lights and light box)

JacquiG Fri 16-Nov-18 14:42:34

A couple of things - I have a friend who is suffering severely at the moment. She is trying a Lumie SAD light, for an hour a day early in the morning when she wakes. Available from Amazon. Also, New Scientist recently published a short article about a research study that showed hot baths in the afternoon twice a week helped reduce the depression.
As for vitamin D - you need to take enough. Check your levels with a blood test from your GP.

The slow waking lights are good, aren't they. One of those was essential during winter when I was working. Couldn't have coped otherwise.

Karanlouise Fri 16-Nov-18 10:17:37

Actually I have to say I was shocked and quite hurt by Riverwalks remarks. Can't understand why you would kick people when they are already feeling low. But heartened to see all the other positive and supportive comments.

Karanlouise Fri 16-Nov-18 09:39:44

Well said "Ziggy62". As you say its difficult to understand SAD unless you have experienced it. I think it would be a great idea to keep this thread going for all the reasons you say and it helps to know there are other people in the same situation. Hope today is good day for everyone.

Apricity Fri 16-Nov-18 09:14:07

Ziggy I can only wish you ???????. Some things are like waves you just have to ride them to the shore and know that you will be fine when you feel the sand under your feet again.

Ziggy62 Fri 16-Nov-18 08:51:41

Big thank you for all your replies (except one!!)

I guess it's one of those conditions folk cant understand if they have never experienced it.

Just to comment on a few things that were mentioned:

1. I'm certainly not wishing my life away. I love lighting my candles in the dark evenings, sitting with my new husband in front of our log burning stove and relaxing. BUT on a bad day I so look forward to seeing the Spring flowers and feeling the warmth of the sunshine. Once I see the Spring bulbs appearing I know the happier days
are on their way.

2. As for loving the season we are born in ………..I was an August baby and adore the hot summer days. In my opinion it can never be "too hot". This last summer suited me just right and I was lucky enough to be working from home.

3. As mentioned in my first post, I already use vitamin D spray, LED lamp and a sunrise alarm. I try to walk every day. Keep doors & windows open for fresh air Eat a healthy diet & try to resist carbs & sugar (although failed with this yesterday lol)

As for cruel & unhelpful comments made by Riverwalk. I don't appreciate your foul language or your ridiculous comments . Would you tell someone with depression or a physical illness to "get a grip" ???? Do you think myself and others with this condition enjoy feeling so low? I suggest before replying to other posts you read "Gransnetiquette".

Moving on, maybe we could keep this thread going for love & support and useful advice . Again many many thanks. Had a horrendous day yesterday but feeling slightly better today

Good wishes to all coping with SAD

glammagran Thu 15-Nov-18 19:18:01

FFS dull not full. Aaarrrhhh predictive text