Gransnet forums

Health

Uncomfortable bloating

(37 Posts)
morethan2 Fri 16-Nov-18 13:12:39

Oh dear I’ve not been feeling great for the last few days My tummy’s bloated and uncomfortable, loose stools, cramping pains, lethargic and generally unwell and miserable. Not sure if it’s my IBS having a flare up or I’ve eaten somthing that didn’t agree with me. I’ve taken some mebeverine that’s in date but beenin the cabinet for ages. I’m only eating light foods. I’m wondering if any one can give me advice about what to eat while things settle.

LyndaW Fri 16-Nov-18 13:38:18

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, morethan2. flowers Peppermint or chamomile tea is meant to be soothing for gut problems? Hope you're feeling yourself soon.

ninathenana Fri 16-Nov-18 17:20:22

Chicken and rice or anything bland.
My brother was told to drink flat cola. Not tried it myself.

hopeful1 Fri 16-Nov-18 19:03:59

Honey and ginger tea and relax.

Doodle Fri 16-Nov-18 20:05:04

Well usually apple sauce, dry toast, rice and plain chicken but if you have IBS apples are high FODMAP so perhaps not a good idea. I'd go for plain chicken and rice with no veg and plain and lots of water. Do hope you feel better soon. Don't mean to pry but is your DH ok? I remember you were a bit worried the other day. I hope things are ok.

Jalima1108 Fri 16-Nov-18 20:08:29

It may not be your IBS, it could be an infection and eating could make it worse. If you're not hungry then just drinking lemonade for 24 hours may help it to go.

If it persists, perhaps a trip to the GP could be required?
I hope you feel better soon.

Treebee Fri 16-Nov-18 20:10:13

Cut out dairy for a little while. If no change see your GP, could be so many things.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Nov-18 21:12:27

Could be medication that you're perhaps taking ?
Strangely enough mint chewing gum can help the gut and bowels as it's encouraged after surgery of the bowels.
It's helped me if I've felt seedy rather than taking any " mixture ".
Also it doesn't harm not to eat until your insides are more settled.

Eloethan Sat 17-Nov-18 00:21:14

If it doesn't sort itself out fairly quickly, I think you should go to the doctor.

morethan2 Sat 17-Nov-18 06:59:54

Thankfully It’s a bit better this morning but it’s stopped me sleeping. I think I’ll take your advice and stick to plain chicken,rice soup for the next day or two. Thanks for asking Doodle my husband troubles at work seem to be sorted with a telling off, some humiliation and a day’s retraining.

Rutheleanor Wed 28-Nov-18 18:22:58

I nibble digestive biscuits.

seacliff Wed 28-Nov-18 18:41:49

Me too Morethan ….identical symptons, had it 8 days but I don't have a history of IBS. I have been feeling really poorly, and actually was driven to go to docs today.

Having blood test for various things including for Ovarian cancer (there is a family history) and a ultra sound, wants to see if there are any gall stones. I was surprised they did all this, but best to hopefully rule things out.

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 18:44:44

Can I join the club morethan and seacliff ? I have identical symptoms . envy and not with envy .

seacliff Wed 28-Nov-18 18:49:11

Oh dear Gillybob, not a club anyone would want to join. The only benefit is my clothes are looser (apart from bloated tummy) as I've eaten very little in the last week.

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 18:59:27

No not really seacliff my tummy is bloated I feel as sick as a dog and have awful tummy cramps. I had to come out of work yesterday and couldn’t make it in today at all . Such a waste of time .

Fennel Wed 28-Nov-18 19:09:48

I had the same thing during last night.
But better today TG.
Eat bland food little but often.

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 19:14:06

I haven’t eaten a bite since Monday evening and I had to force that down, as I was sitting with the DGC . Had weak diluted juice today . That’s it .

gillybob Wed 28-Nov-18 19:23:29

I’ve also got a horrible taste in my mouth and have Cleaned my teeth a dozen times today already .

Chewbacca Wed 28-Nov-18 19:32:20

Considerations morethan; IBS is utterly miserable. When I've had a flare up, I've found that drinking peppermint tea really does help. Sometimes I add 2 tea bags to the brew, so that's it really quite strong. It's a good job I live alone because the amount of air it helps to dispel is staggering, but that's a good thing with IBS.

Hope you feel much better very soon. brew

Chewbacca Wed 28-Nov-18 19:32:57

Considerations or commiserations, you choose!

kittylester Wed 28-Nov-18 19:56:12

I'm sorry for all you sufferers. sad

Try flat lemonade.

morethan2 Wed 28-Nov-18 21:39:27

I wasn’t expecting this
I eventually went to my wonderful g.p and here I am admitted to hospital. Ican hardly believed it. I just thought she’d give me some medicine. But she was insistent. I haven’t been near a hospital for over 20 years. I should have gone to g.p sooner it’s my own faultblush

Willow500 Wed 28-Nov-18 21:46:37

Oh gosh Morethan that's worrying - at least the doctor has taken it seriously, it's probably just a precaution but they will presumably do tests and hopefully get to the bottom of it. Get well soon flowers

Jane10 Wed 28-Nov-18 21:46:58

Oh no! Just as well you went to the GP. Hope you feel much better soon. Sleep as well as you can.

cornergran Wed 28-Nov-18 21:53:10

Not where you wanted to be morethan but I’m relieved you are being cared for. Here’s hoping for a speedy resolution. flowers and a gentle hug.